Status: I'll be able to update once every day or so...it's so frustrating when people don't update often :/ Please leave comments and critiques about my writing!! I love to hear what you think of this story

The Memory

What we do here

Twiddling her thumbs, Luce looks away pretending not to have heard. I pressed again, "Please, tell me, what we do here for work?" Sighing, Luce mournfully responds, "We please, Azalea. We please the men who come here in any way they want as long as they pay for it." I was screaming in my head. I can't "please" men. I'm only 16. How am I supposed to please men? Luce looks up uncomfortably at me "It's not that bad. He gives us a home. He feeds us. And we please his clients. It's better than living on the streets." I nodded my head. Prostitution is far better than where I came from.

Flashbacks of red, searing hot pain, of slicing whips, and screeching voices. Yes, this place is far better. I shudder to myself. Luce thinks I'm cold and closes the window. A young girl, no older than 10 whispers in my ear, "I'm Rose...I'm a flower like you. Can I make you breakfast?" I give her a hug, heartbroken that a 10 year old girl is stuck in this place. I nod my head and smile sadly at her.

Late afternoon, he came downstairs in clean pressed clothes and washed skin. Smiling he puts his arm around me and welcomes me in a large voice to my new home and family. Holding my hand he takes me down another hallway and opens the 5th door on the right. "You'll be working in this room. Your first client is in a few weeks from now. I'll have some of the more experienced girls teach you the ways of this place. I expect great things from you, the girl named after such a beautiful flower." I stare wide-eyed at the large red bed. Silken curtains surround it, swallowing the plush, velvet bed. The bed that is soon to be my working station. He looks down at me again and speaks softly, "Call me Jacob ". His hair was a soft nutmeg brown, his eyes an even warmer brown. White teeth contrasted by his tan skin. How could this seemingly kind man be the same one who grabbed me this morning?

Jacob took me back to the kitchen and announced loudly, "I found Azalea on the cold, snowy streets last night. She is our new family member. I expect all of you to take care of her. Sarah and Maggie I want you to teach her the rules and doings of this place. Catherine, I want you to make a new outfit for her...get her measurements once I leave. As for the rest of you, you will find the chore list posted outside the library. Today is going to be a good day." And with that he dropped my hand and walked out of the kitchen. Everyone was scurrying around towards the direction of the apparent "library". I turned, looking for Luce, "Is that our boss? He seems so kind. He can't possibly be the one who grabbed me this morning." Luce laughed, "He is. His moods change on a dime. Don't worry you'll figure his patterns out over time. Here's Catherine, she will be kind." Luce gave Catherine a sharp glance.

Catherine pulled my arm sharply, leading me down a different hallway, this place is a labyrinth, and into a large mirrored room. "Stand on that pedestal" Catherine hissed. I did what she told me and looked around the room. Catherine was plunging through some sewing kit, making a mess. She ripped out a measuring tape and brutally stripped me down and measured my body. "You won't make it here long," I heard her growl. As she attacked my body with her eyes. she began to click her teeth angrily "With the amount of scars you have, no one is going to want you. The ones on your arms we can maybe hide but the ones on your back...I'll have to make a special outfit for you." Catherine sounded especially angry at the idea of extra work.