Status: First time! Treat me well please! :)

Warring Minds

Family and Conflict

“Julian!” my best friend screamed as she threw her arms around me. I chuckled lightly at her enthusiasm and squeezed back. We had seen each other yesterday, but I guess this is normal for her hyper-self. She lives with me in the Castle of Ernest because her mother assists mine in the throne room as a kind of secretary.
“Good morning Lily,” I replied, pulling away from the hug. I took in her oval-shaped face, big ocean-blue eyes, and long, dirty-blonde hair that fell perfectly on her shoulders. She is one of the most beautiful girls I know and I tell her often. She was grinning my favorite grin, the one that looked as if she was a kid who was just told that they could have anything in the world.
I love Lily so much. She has always been with me and accepts me for who I am. It was her whom I first told I was gay. I really wasn't even nervous, which turned out to be fine because she just shrugged and called out “I figured!” She gave me the courage to tell my parents, who seemed to be as ok with it as she was. They all told me they guessed it anyways, which may have made me a bit self-conscious because I had no idea it was obvious in any way, I think I act pretty normal...
The butler who guides me to breakfast in the morning looked at Lily with disapproval apparent in his eyes. “That is really no way to greet the Prince of Diagon Ms. LaFrance,” he commented with annoyance.
“Oh, I see Mr. Gregory. Excussssseeeee me,” she drawled, making sure to drag her statement out sarcastically while curtsying to me so low that I could swear she was doing a leg work out. She isn't usually disrespectful, but honestly Gregory should be used to us by now.
“Please lay off her Gregory. You know I like for her to treat me equally. Except for when I want to get my way...” I say, flashing Lily a smirk. She sticks her tongue out at me like a child and I gasp in mock horror. Gregory rolls his eyes and stalks away, expecting me to follow down the hall to the dining room. Lily comes with because I like her and her mother to eat with us for breakfast and lunch. Dinner, however, strictly includes only me and my parents, the King and Queen of Diagon. I like to spend alone time with them when I can because their lives are so busy.
We enter the dining room to find my parents already at the table, speaking to each other in hushed, hurried tones. The air seemed a little tense and I immediately felt anxiety bubbling up, as I get worried easily. I know they will tell me when something is wrong, but I can't help but feel a bit of panic at some points. When my parents saw us though, they each sent us a smile. My father nodded at Gregory, who took his leave. “Morning Julian and Lily,” my mother and father greeted in unison. They grinned at each other and laughed lightly, making me stop frowning and grin as well. I loved that they were still so in love despite their positions and stress. It was hard running a kingdom.
Lily greeted them back respectfully but in a relaxed manner while taking her usual seat two down from my mom, so that her mother could sit in the middle. They are like her second parents and I'm like her brother because we have been together almost since birth, so there is really no tension despite the drastic difference in social positions.
I strolled over to my father and gave him a small hug like I do every morning. Next, I moved to my mother and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She giggled and smiled up at me from her seat, then giggled again. “Bend down so I can fix your hair!” I rolled my eyes but let her dote on me because I know she loves it. She pets down my dark brown hair a bit and I study the emerald green eyes of hers that I inherited. I definitely had my mother's lips and nose as well, but I got almost everything else from my father. I was about 5' 7'' and had his hair and wiry muscles. Lily has told me that I'm gorgeous multiple times, but I don't really pay attention to that sort of stuff. I like to focus on the other aspects of myself.
I sat after she was done and talked lightly with everyone until Lily's mom came in. She was a pretty woman as well, with honey colored hair and her daughter's blue eyes. She was just as kind as Lily, but much more calm and responsible. I usually just call her by her first name, Sue, and she doesn't mind. I had never met Lily's father though, because he died in the war that took place twenty years ago, when Lily and I were only three years old. I didn't know him, but even the thought makes me sorrowful. War is definitely a terrible way to resolve things, leaving families stripped of loved ones just like Lily and Sue were.
“Morning!” we all chimed together, then chowed down on the food that had been set out. I adored how relaxed and comfortable we all were with each other. I know I have a family situation that most would call odd, being a prince and all, but I really couldn't ask for a more loving, warm family.
After we were all satisfied, I saw my mother glance at my father and knew something was up. I quirked an eyebrow at them, which they noted, and the table suddenly went quiet.
“We have something we need to talk to you about Julian,” my mom said seriously.
“Do we need to leave?” Lily asked helpfully, referring to herself and her mother.
“No Lily,” my mom replied, “but thanks. I think you should hear this as well. We care for the safety of you both.” Safety? What's going on?
My father took in my confused expression and heaved a sigh. “It is of the utmost importance that you keep this to yourselves. You are familiar with our negotiations with the neighboring kingdom of Fischer. For some reason they want the piece of land that holds the Schiller Village, which does not have much value except that of a traditional nature for our kingdom, as it was our founding city hundreds of years ago. They are practically demanding it, which makes me furious, but I do not wish to wage war over something so silly. I am trying to talk some sense into their king, but it is going slowly and I sense very bad intentions from him.” I scrunched my face in worry. I knew a little of these events, but not the full story. This wasn't good. I hated war above all else. “I believe they are starting to send soldiers into our forest to scout out something. Prisoners? An ideal place of attack? I don't know, but I can't bring it up until I have definite evidence and we are currently preparing a few troops to be safe. However, until then I want you both to remain inside these castle walls for your safety. This town is right on the border, so I do not want you in town or in the forest under any circumstances because nothing could be done if you were to be taken prisoner. You know the policy: we will not give in because we are pressured to release a prisoner, not even a prince,” he stated firmly. My face fell further. I get why he is asking this of us, but the town is a huge part of my life.
“Father, I see what you are saying but I don't know if I can handle that. You know what the townspeople mean to me. I visit many of them everyday! Now you are restricting me from seeing them at all so suddenly!” I wanted to scream in frustration and knew Lily probably did too, but was too polite to argue.
His eyes softened. “I know you love your subjects, but I need you safe. Just try to focus on your lessons for now and it will hopefully be finished soon.” I knew he was smoothing over that last part, but I kept that to myself. I do take my studies seriously, but I need balance in my life too. I can't focus solely on that work and stop taking care of the town. However, I guess I have no choice. They don't play around with my safety. But maybe...
“Can I at least go today for the last time? Just to tell them where I'll be and goodbye for now?” I pleaded with the biggest puppy-dog eyes I could muster. My mom and dad looked into each others' eyes and seemed to communicate through them. They glanced back at me together with smiles. The way they get across information to each other amazes me sometimes.
My mother finally spoke up. “Fine, but you must be back by one!” she asserted reasonably. I jumped up and kissed both of their cheeks excitedly, then ran out of the room in a hurry to get to town. I am going to skip my morning lessons; I'll having plenty of time to make them up later.
“Wait for me!!!!” Lily yelled and came sprinting after me. I heard chuckles from the dining room. “My goodness!” she huffed as we slowed our pace. She always walks me to the castle doors when I go to town. She used to come with me but didn't find it as fascinating and got bored of it.
“Be safe. Try not to run into him again,” she said worriedly. I made a face and nodded, but didn't comment. I didn't really want to think about it.
I waved her goodbye, as well as the few guards at the door then at the gate, and started down the stone path to town with a smile on my face but worry running its course through my veins.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! Hope it was ok! I tried really hard on all the grammer and quotation stuff, but I'm sorry if there are mistakes.
I would love encouragement, so please comment and subscribe!! :)