There Goes My Hero

Pick One To Kill

We were able to get a hold of S.H.I.E.L.D finally. But we would have to wait the rest of the day for them to get to us. Tony and the guys were all talking about who might have been after us. I took to the tree line, watching the waves roll in. I wanted to be alone at that moment. I had never thought I would act how I did again. That was the old me, before I joined S.H.I.E.L.D, before I even came to the United States. Kirstie knows about it as well as Natasha and Nick. But that's all. Natasha was the one who first came to me about joining them. I knew why they sent her, they thought she could relate to me. Which she did but I brushed them off. Eventually, I went to America for College among other things. That was when I met Kirstie. I found out years later that she had been with S.H.I.E.L.D at the time, to keep an eye on me. We became friends anyways, we get along great. Then Nick approached us, asking us to join a specific part of the team. I quit my old “job” and joined them a few days later.

I had to go through intense readjusting. I had been trained to cut off emotional ties, to not feel, only think and kill. I found comfort in talking to Natasha about it. She could relate to it, to being unmade. I eventually opened up to Kirstie and told her everything. We became like sisters after that. I slowly began to become a normal person. I was worried when I went on my first solo mission. Kirstie had always been there to help me but I was left alone to try and fight off my old ways. I did it without any problem but now, with everything happening, I started to think about if I did disconnect myself. I wondered if it would make things easier. I thought about if I had been able to disconnect myself, I could have killed Eric. I knew Kirstie worried about that, about me slipping. I wasn't.

As I let my thoughts wander, I heard something. It was faint, in the distance but I heard it. I had been trained to hear better, see better, to enhance my senses. Something washed ashore, it was sparkly and fairly large for a small object. I slowly made my way over and picked it up, cleaning the sand off. It was my earrings, the ones Eric had given me. I heard the noise again and I snapped my gaze in the general direction. I followed the noise until I saw a rifle pointed in my face. I heard a chuckle and then a figure moved from behind the soldier. I must have slipped into my spy ways because I didn't show how shocked I was to now see Eric standing in front of me. He never knew about my past.

“I see your hand has healed well.” he said, arms behind his back.

“Of course. How else could I do this?” I replied, grabbing the gun and slamming it back into the soldiers face. He stumbled and growled at me, lunging for me. I grabbed his shoulders and swung up, snapping his neck with my legs. Eric chuckled darkly.

“My my. Look at you.” he said.

“What do you want?” I asked. He smirked and looked up at the moon that was just rising up from the water.

“Its a shame you work for them. I could use someone like you on my team.” he said.

“Don't make me ask again.” I said.

“Oh right. What do I want...well, for starters, The Avengers out of the way. Thanks for leading me straight to them, by the way.” he said, looking at the earrings that I had in my hand. I glared at the diamonds and tossed them at him. “They're defenseless. And with you distracted, my men should be surrounding them right about now.” he said, glancing over to where they should be through the small forest of palms.

“Right. Because your men can take down two gods and a super soldier. Oh, and the Hulk.” I replied.

“Hm. We'll see. But ya know, I could just leave right now and never bother them again.” he said.

“Then why don't you?” I asked.

“Well, that would require you leaving with me.” he said. I thought for a moment. I was a spy before, I could do it again. Relay information to Nick and eventually take Eric down. I suddenly heard shouting and guns being cocked.

“Alright.” I replied. Eric smirked and took me by the arm, dragging me over to where everyone was surrounded. He shoved me at them with an evil grin.

“Pick one.” he said. I looked back at him and then at everyone. “Pick one to kill. I want you to prove your loyalty.” he said. My heart leaped into my throat as I looked over at my friends. I didn't want to hurt any of them, let alone kill them. As I scanned all of their faces, Steve stepped forward, kissing Kirstie before stepping in front of me.

“Go ahead.” Steve said, looking me right in the eye. I hoped that he was following what I was planning. I mouthed I'm sorry to him. He just sighed.

“Katie, what are you doing?” Kirstie said. Thor grabbed her, making sure she didn't run over. Loki looked horrified, along with everyone else.

“You'll leave them alone?” I asked, looking over at Eric. He nodded. I sighed, my muscles tightening and my stomach rolling, making me sick. In a split second, I was swinging my leg up and knocking Steve in the head. It was like kicking a wall but he went down. Kirstie let out a scream, ripping my heart in half. I fought the tears forming as I stood over Steve, who was holding his head.

I waited for him to get up. He slowly got up, a sad look on his face. I closed my eyes and let my body take over. I just let my old muscle memory take over. I wasn't trying my hardest but I knew I was hurting him. Eventually, I couldn't breathe and I opened my eyes. Kirstie was crying into Thor and everyone stared at me with horror. They thought I was betraying them. Kirstie thought I was betraying her. Steve was on the ground, barely moving. I bent down, sitting on him and whispered to him.

“Please. Tell them I'm not betraying them. I'm spying on Eric. Please don't let them think that. And I'm so sorry for hurting you.” I whispered. I sat up straight, Steve closing my eyes as I pulled back and punched him in the face. He went limp and Kirstie let out another mournful sob. He stopped moving completely, limp and eyes closed. I hoped to god he just knew how to slow his breathing. I felt his pulse and fought off a look of relief.

“Good. Let's go boys.” Eric said, grabbing my arm and yanking me away. I looked over at Loki one last time, completely allowing my emotions to show. I hoped they would tell Nick that I didn't betray them and I hoped I would be able to stop Eric and not lose myself in the process.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooo!
dark huh?
sooo...Katie was a spy.
And yeah!
Hope you guys liked this!
It was almost three pages long!!

KIRSTIE ROGERS!