Status: Active

Can't Be Friends

"Look what this girl done did to me."

Shawn

We had always been best friends. No matter who else was in and out of our lives, we always had each other. From the first day of 5th grade to the last day of junior year, no one messed with us. It was us against the world every day. Whether we were battling drama, depression, family, or temptation, it didn’t matter. If one of us was going through something, we both were. That’s just how it was.

We never kept secrets from each other. We knew one another like the back of our hands. When one of us was hurting, the other was there to make them feel better. When one of us was excited, the happyness was shared. When one of us was falling apart, we could count on the other to pick up the pieces and help us put ourselves back together. We were so in sync, that it was almost frightening sometimes. But that’s just how it was.

The first day of freshmen year, when some senior loser tried to hit on my best friends, I got protective, like any older brother. But soon big brother, turned into jealous best friend. And for the first time, we were out of sync.

But I fixed that quickly. I encouraged her to date, play the field. And in this, I reassured that my feelings for her, were simply platonic. I started dating too. We even went on double dates, a few failed blind dates of each others' choosing. We just trusted each other like that. That’s just how it was.

But starting the first day of senior year, everything changed. I had been working all summer and she had gone out of town. This was our first time seeing each other in three months. And we were both different people.

I could sense that she was hiding something from me, something important. It was hurting her, so it was hurting me. I thought that maybe if I took her to a party, I could get it out of her. She’d be too hopped up on the energy or the beer to be defensive. But what she did admit, was far different from what I expected.

And now there ain’t no way we can just be friends.

Nia

You know that one person that’s always there for you, no matter what? Like, even if you called them at 3a.m. on a Saturday morning, they’d come? No questions asked, no complaints? It’s like, even if that person never says anything, you know exactly how they feel and exactly what to say. It’s like, you were made for each other in every single, possible way. It’s like, being with them is the safest, calmest place you could ever be. Even when you heart starts racing when they look into your eyes and you find yourself staring at their lips every time they say your name. It’s like trying your hardest not to get everything you want, holding yourself back from everything you need, and telling yourself that it’s better that way.

Few people have someone like that. Most don't. Some of us are too stupid to appreciate it.

We’d done crazy things together. House parties, pranks, and that one time we jumped in the pool with all of our clothes on. We’ve done simple things together. Movie marathons, study sessions, sleepovers. We grew up together and we helped each other out with anything. We had a bond that was inexplicable and undeniably intriguing. We were a packaged deal, sharing friends, experiences, and dreams of a better future. There were few notable memories that didn’t have the other in it. We’d done everything together. And I really hoped that would never change.

But now there ain’t no way that we can just be friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited.