Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

XI.

I smirk to myself. Bandit may seem nonchalant and cool, but she sure seems flustered when Sebastian's around. And the flabbergasted look on Cecily's face just made my week.

"How are you, Seb?" I ask, using his hated childhood nickname. He grimaces.

"Giselle, do you have to call me that?"

"Absolutely. I also don't really care too much how you are; I know you're fine. So why don't you and Isabella here get acquainted a little more. I have to see where our fathers have gotten off to. You know, make sure they're staying out of trouble." I leave Bandit behind with the prince and a horrified expression. I know that Father and Edgar will already be upstairs in Father's study, planning out some new treasure hunt. I am surprised, however, to find Kingsley with them.

"Ah, Giselle!" Edgar says, his booming voice filling the room. "Come sit with us, darling girl." I go and perch on the arm of Father's chair.

"We were just discussing this fascinating map," Father explains. "It's very old; we think it might even be a map leading to Ridenvell." I lean over eagerly. Ridenvell is the lost city of the sea elves. Explorers have been searching for it for centuries.

"Your friend Erik has been lending us some insight," Edgar adds. "He's quite the knowledgeable fellow." He claps Kingsley on the back with his giant hand, nearly sending Kingsley flying out of his chair.

"I've been around," Kingsley says modestly.

"I want to be kept firmly in the loop about the map updates," I say. "But Father, I have a question."

"Yes, darling?" Father asks, peering at the map through his microscope.

"Is it possible for an Elemental's marks to form when they're older than fourteen?"

"Well," he says with a slight frown. "I suppose it is possible. It would have to be some very interesting and unusual circumstances. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, I was just curious," I say lightly. "I wondered if we've always gotten our marks at fourteen."

"Such a wonderfully inquiring mind, this one has." Edgar looks at me fondly. My mind is already reeling with some questions for Bandit. I saw the golden-brown marks on her face this morning. I'm now even more curious than ever to know what she and Bruce are doing here on Madelina Island. But then Kinglsey is smiling at me and Father is talking about the history of the sea elves and he and Edgar are planning to set a course to Ridenvell and I forget all about Bandit's mysterious face markings.

***

Kingsley and I wander through the gardens that night before dinner.

"Your father is a very adventurous man," Kingsley says. "I see where you get it."

"Well I would have to be pretty adventurous to sneak off in the middle of the night with a bounty hunter to ride boats made from magic and dragon scales," I laugh.

"You are indeed a brave girl," he replies. The corners of his eyes crinkle with laughter.

"Are you really from the Chevalier House?" I ask him, pausing to smell some fresh roses.

"Yes." Kingsley's eyes turn sad for the briefest moment.

"Then why did you become a bounty hunter?"

"There was a lot of dissent among the Chevalier family. And I-my family wasn't really welcome anymore. I just needed to leave." He stares off into the distance. He looks so lost, so un-Kingsley, that I find myself twining my fingers through his. He seems to shake himself. His signature grin returns.

"But let's not talk about all that. It's rather dull and depressing."

"Who's Erik?" I ask, unable to contain my curiosity. "Is that your real name?"

"No. Kingsley is my real name," he says. "Erik was a childhood friend of mine."

"He wasn't related to the Leventhalls, by chance?" Kingsley laughs, pulling me to him and waltzing me around the garden.

"Are you going to leave?" I ask suddenly, wishing my voice didn't come out sounding so small. Kingsley looks surprised. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you're a bounty hunter. You're always on the move, and you must have a crew. Once Bandit finds a husband...does that mean you'll be leaving?"

"And miss out on your father's invitation to travel with him to Ridenvell? Perish the thought, fair lady."

I can't stop the smile that nearly splits my face in half. Someone clears their throat and we stop our dance. Bandit is standing at the edge of the garden, and it's hard to tell because of her scarf, but something about her expression tells me that she's displeased with something.

"Dinner is ready," she says stiffly.

"We'll be right there," I call. Kingsley links his arm with mine. Bandit walks several paces ahead of us. Suddenly she turns to face us.

"Um, Giselle, would you mind if I talk to Kingsley for a moment?"

I glance up at Kingsley, and I see a trace of annoyance flash in his eyes.

"I'll be right in. Save me a seat," he says, winking at me. I untangle my arm from his and enter the house. Bandit and Kingsley appear several minutes later, both looking extremely put out. Kingsley makes a beeline straight for the chair beside mine. I notice that somehow Bandit ends up sitting beside the prince. I can tell that Cecily is seething. All these eligible men, and not one of them is panting after her. I smirk. This dinner progresses slightly better than the last one, mostly because with Edgar around, it's hard for anyone else to talk. Charles keeps giving Sebastian and Kingsley dirty looks, and Cecily keeps trying to catch Kingsley's eye. He stays focused on Father and Edgar. Occasionally he reaches down, pretending to be fiddling with his napkin. But instead he links his fingers through mine, making butterflies explode in my stomach.

After dinner, when Father, Edgar, and Sebastian have retired into the lounge to drink some wine and talk more about their latest endeavor, Kingsley and I sneak off to greenhouse where Cook grows all her fresh herbs and spices.

"I've always loved it in here," I say. "And Cook loves that I love it, because I help keep them watered."

Kingsley laughs, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. I inhale deeply, smelling the plants, as well as the smell of salt and wind that always clings to Kingsley. The smell of adventure I think.

"Come on," I say, spinning around and taking his hand. "Cook should be done cleaning up. We can snitch some of her sugar cookies." I lead him out of the greenhouse and into the kitchen. I was right; it's deserted. I raid the cupboard for Cook's "secret" stash of cookies. She only hides them from my siblings. Ever since I was six, and tried to cook dinner for myself when Cook was sick, she's thought I was just the most precious thing ever.

"Cook makes the best sugar cookies in the whole world-" I turn around to find Kingsley standing right behind me.

"I was thinking of tasting something even sweeter," he says, his eyes teasing. He leans forward and my heart skips a beat. His lips are only an inch away.

The kitchen door suddenly bangs open. Kingsley jerks back and I almost drop my handful of cookies. Bruce is lounging in the doorway.

"Am I interrupting something?" he asks, raising his eyebrows.