Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

XIV.

“Bandit,” I hear someone whisper. I try to open my eyes, but my eyelids are too heavy. I go to rub my eyes, but they won’t move their tied together with a rope. I go to move my legs and find they too are tied. “Bandit,” the person whispers fiercely. I finally am able to pry my eyes open. “Bandit!” I look towards the voice and see Bruce tied up.

“What happened?” I croak out.

“We were drugged!” Bruce snaps. I look around the room and catch moment outside the ring of light we are sitting in.

“Who?”

“I don’t know yet. I’m thinking they’re waiting for us,” Bruce said struggling against the ropes. The shadows move closer to the ring of light.

“Who are you, truly?” Out of the corner of my eye I see Bruce spit at them. I just keep staring at them. “Who are you?” The voice asks again. I wrinkle my brow, where had I heard that voice before.

“Isaac?” I ask through my scarf. There was a murmur of voices then Isaac steps into the light followed by King Edgar, Prince Sebastian, and Kingsley. I blink rapidly. What was Kingsley doing?

“You traitorous bastard!” Bruce yelled. Kingsley went to step forward, but Isaac stops him. Isaac walks forward to Bruce.

“I know you’re not Demetrius Leventhall, and I know you’re an assassin, and I know Kingsley was you’re contact, I know that your target is Charles-”

“If you know all that then what am I still doing breathing!?” Bruce shouts. I look away to find Sebastian watching me. He doesn’t smile, and doesn’t move.

“I want to know why my daughter was almost killed.” Isaac said grabbing Bruce by the neck. Bruce leans back and hocks a loogie into Isaac’s face. Isaac steps back and socks Bruce in the face sending him and the chair flying back. I crane my neck and see Bruce out cold.

“Bandit is it?” I whip my head back to see Isaac standing close to me with Kingsley right beside him. Kingsley hands Isaac a rag to clean off Bruce’s blood. I gulp and nod then glare at Kingsley.

“Sorry Bandit but if I have to choose between love and money, I would take love any day,” Kingsley said giving me a grin and shrug. What a freaking traitor. He sold us out for Giselle.

“If you cooperate, you won’t get hurt. Now the same question as Bruce. Why was my daughter almost killed?” I stare at him for a second. “Well?” He brought up his fist as a threat. I could take quite a few hits but with Bruce out I would need to be unharmed to be able to help Bruce.

“Giselle’s attack was an accident. If Kingsley truly switched sides out of love for Giselle, then you should know that,” I said in the calmest voice I can muster. Isaac nods.

“I know, but I needed to hear that from you.” I wrinkle my brow in confusion.

“Then what do you want?” He turns around and looks at Edgar. Edgar nods his head.

“I want to hire you two.” Kingsley gasps and turns to Isaac.

“You’re kidding right?” Isaac shakes his head and looks at me.

“Well knocking out my partner wasn’t the smartest move. As Bruce would say, how much?” Isaac smiles.

“We pay off Charles hit, and we pay you double,” Kingsley’s jaw drops, “If you keep my family and friends safe. If you don’t want the deal then we will kill you now.” This comment earns a noise from Sebastian. I look over to see Edgar holding Sebastian back with a hand over his mouth. Sebastian is staring daggers at Isaac. I pondered the idea, Bruce will be pissed but it will save our lives to take the deal.

“Okay we accept.”

“Good, now that you’re working for us. You won’t need to be wearing that scarf.” Kingsley swiftly moves and yanks my scarf off.

“Hey! Stop!” I yell, but it was alright too late. I hear a collective gasp.

“You’re an Earth elemental.” I look at Kingsley’s and Edgar’s faces to see shock, but I look at Isaac to see a face of utter disbelief. He steps forward with his hand out stretched to touch my face but I pull away. He realizes what he is doing is weird and pulls away.

“Kingsley untie her. Edgar could you ask one of your guards to take Bruce to his room?” Isaac asks as he walks away staring at me. Edgar snaps his fingers and a guard comes running out and picks up Bruce and runs off. Kingsley steps behind me and gets to work at my knots. Edgar releases Sebastian and follows Isaac out of the room.

“Bandit why didn’t you tell me you are an Earth elemental?” Kingsley asks as he finishes my feet ties and works on my hand ties. I don’t answer and ignore him. “Well?” He says coming to a stand in front of me.

“I take it she is ignoring you, which I would do to, if you pulled that shit on me,” Sebastian says walking forward. I didn’t understand why he was defending me. I am assassin. He extends his hand to help me up. I take it and he pulls me into him and smiles. I can’t help but blush. For some reason he always makes me blush. I push away from him and turn around.

“Oh Kingsley I forgot something.” He looks up as I bring my fist across his face. He stumbles to the floor and looks up at me in shock.

“What the fuck Bandit?!” he yells. I shrug and grin, then turn around and run into Sebastian. He smiles down at me and leads me out of the room.

***

“Bruce I had to accept, they were going to kill us. Plus you will be happy to hear that we are getting paid a lot of money.” I press an ice pad against his face and he winces then slaps my hand away and holds the pack himself.

“Whatever. Now we have to find who is trying to kill us, just peachy fucking keen,” he says falling into his bed. He motions for me to leave. I sigh and leave. Bruce is going to be a bitch to work with now.

I walk into the library looking for their history books, when I notice a cup of steaming liquid sitting on the table alone with no one around. I look around and find no one around. I walk towards the table then I hear a noise. I suddenly spin around, there’s no one there. I let a sigh out and turn around and run into a chest.

“I thought you were an assassin,” Sebastian teases. I look up at him to see his eyes alit with amusement. I try to step away but he grabs my waist. “I don’t think so. I won this time. I think I deserve a prize.” I raise my eyebrow and shake my head. I try to step away again, but he just tightens his hold.

“Okay I give, what do you want?”

“I want that kiss, you dodged.” My eyes widen.

“No! I don’t-” I’m cut off as his lips cover mine. I try to resist, but his lips are so soft, and his touch so warm. I willingly step closer to him feeling his grip tighten on me. I lean on my tipsy toes to deepen our kiss. He eagerly pulls me closer. He runs his tongue over my bottom lip asking for entrance I open my mouth. Our tongues battle for dominance, his wins. I pull away gasping for breath. He leans his forehead against mine and smiles.

“I think you enjoyed that as much as I did.” I roll my eyes and notice that Sebastian has an amber glow around him. I lift my hand to push him away and notice I am glowing to.

“What the?” Sebastian asks noticing the light. I look down and notice we are hovering. Suddenly the light disappears and we fall.

“Sebastian was that you?” He shakes his head.

“I think it was you.”