Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

XV.

I storm down the hall, my fists clenched. Kingsley and Father just finished telling me everything. I was half tempted to acquaint my knee with Kingsley's privates, but considering that he is the one who saved me, and the one who confessed, I decide to take my frustrations out elsewhere.

"Where's Bandit?" I snarl at Mira.

"Library," she squeaks, eyes wide. I stomp up the stairs to the library, bursting through the door in time to see Bandit wrapped up in Sebastian's arms and surrounded by a strange golden-brown glow. I'm too angry, however, to lend either of these things much thought. I yank Bandit away from a startled looking Sebastian.

"You lying little wench!" I shout in her face. "You and that scrawny old man used me to try and kill my brother!"

"You hate your brother!" Bandit shouts back defensively. She tries to free herself from my grasp, but apparently I'm a bit stronger than either of us expected in my rage.

"That does not mean I appreciate being used as a tool in his assassination! I invited you here out of kindness, and your nasty little lie nearly got me killed!"

"Let me go!" Bandit hisses, her eyes blazing. I keep a firm hold on her wrist.

"You....you bitch!" I screech. A loud smack fills the room, and I realize I've just slapped Bandit across the face hard enough to jerk her head to the side. She gapes at me, and even I stare down at my own hand in shock. Then I scowl. I release her wrist and shove her back. She rubs her face gingerly and glowers at me.

"You're fucking crazy, Giselle."

"I'll show you crazy," I say. I march straight up to Sebastian, who has come up beside Bandit to check on her face. I kick him hard in the balls. He chokes and crumples to the floor.

"That was for Kingsley," I say triumphantly.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" Bandit seems like she's torn between coming after me, and tending to her prince. He continues to lie on the ground, making pathetic little moaning sounds as he wraps his hands protectively around his injured package.

"You better stay out of my way, you dirty liar, or I'll drown you in your own bathwater!" I spit. "Don't bother trying to keep me safe; I've already seen how incompetent you and your mentor are." I spin on my heel and sweep out of the room. My whole body is shaking and my heart is pounding wildly in my chest. I hear vases shattering all over the house as the water inside them swishes crazily back and forth. Despite the clear blue sky outside, rain falls in heavy sheets, and the waves are crashing against the shore with such force that ever the people on the docks are sent scurrying for cover.

"Giselle!" Father is in the lounge doorway, watching me with worried eyes. "Darling, please, calm down before you flood the entire island."

I take several deep breaths and close my eyes, trying to settle my, literally, stormy thoughts. Slowly the rain begins to recede and the ocean quiets.

"Good thing you're not a Fire Elemental," Kingsley says with a grimace. "We'd all be charred to a crisp by now." He steps out of the lounge and hugs me, gently kissing the side of my head. I take a final shuddering breath, and find that I feel much better now.

"Sorry about the mess," I say sheepishly. Father smiles slightly.

"Your strength is quite remarkable, really," he says. "Work on your control a bit more, and you'll be nearly invincible." I smile feebly as Father goes back into the lounge.

"Your eye looks like it hurts," I tell Kingsley, looking at the black eye Bandit gave him. I want to hit her again.

"I've had worse," Kingsley says dismissively. "I did rat out a couple of assassins; what did you expect?"

I snort. "Like those two know anything about loyalty and honor," I say. "They're just a couple of paid murderers, and Bandit had no right to punch you just because you actually have a conscious."

Kingsley chuckles softly. "Ah, Giselle. I haven't always been the most noble person alive, you know. I don't take it personally."

"Well what made you decide to be so noble now?" I ask him. He smiles and toys with a strand of my hair.

"You," he replies.

"Gag me," a voice sneers. I turn to see Bandit.

"Glad to," I say acidly. Then I smirk, noticing the hand-sized red mark on her cheek.

"How's your face, Kingsley?" Bandit asks, her tone snotty.

"Feels great," he replies mildly. His lips twitch. "How's yours?" Bandit scowls and turns away, muttering, "useless traitor," under her breath. Kingsley just gives me a lopsided smile and shakes his head.

"Giselle!" I wince as Mother's astonished shriek fills the hallway. She rushes down the stairs, her elegant bun coming undone. "Please tell me you didn't just kick Prince Sebastian in the...the unmentionables?"

"Well I would," I say, "but that would be a lie. And you and Father always taught me not to lie."

"He can't even walk!" Mother's voice reaches a hysterical pitch. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

I barely swallow a giggle. "It was a rather impressive kick, Mother. I probably ruined his chances of ever producing an heir."

My mother's mouth opens and closes several times, like a beached fish. Then her eyes roll back and she faints dead away on the floor.