Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

II.

I crouched low and slowly walked through the high grass making no sound. The sky was clear and there was no wind. That was good, I was still hidden. I weaved through the grass until I came to a boulder. Looking around to make sure the coast was clear, I slowly rose.

“Gotcha!” I quickly turned to be tackled by Bruce. He pinned me to the ground laughing. I pulled my feet to my chest and pushed my legs into his chest and he went flying. I swiftly stood and stomped my foot in frustration.

“Damn you Bruce! How do you do that?!” I stomped over to Bruce. He was doubled over in laughter, pointing his finger at me. Suddenly he straightened.

“On come on Bandit. We’ve been over this. Just because the wind is calm and the sky is clear does not mean you are alone. The sooner you get that through your head the longer you will survive,” Bruce advised as he started walking away. I shook my head, no matter how many times I trained with Bruce he always caught me.

“Bruce I’m trying. You know it’s not easy for me,” I said following him.

Ever since I was little I knew I was different. As a Driat I’m supposed to be able to breath fire and have domain over the sky, but I don’t for some reason. For this I’m seen as inferior to everyone else. Luckily at a young tender age Bruce found me. He took me under him wing literally.

The only thing I remember before Bruce was a loud roaring noise. It only lasted a few seconds then suddenly there was light all round me, with a scorching heat. I thought I was going to end there but then there was a blast of ice cold air and the light disappeared. The next thing I saw was a tall sickly thin man, with a shiny bald head and a brilliant white smile. That was Bruce, my teacher and guardian who was humorous and as tough as nails.

“Come on Bandit. I think we’ve had enough training for today. Let’s get back to the guild.” he took off running then leaped in the air. Two metallically silver wings unfolded for his back, his body thinned and lengthened. A tail sprouted from his lower back, his limbs bent, and his face grew a long snout and two long horns. To top it all off his body was covered with bluish silver scales.

“Hey Bruce, what about me! I can’t fly!” I shouted.

“Well it’s a good time to learn,” he roared. Seconds later all I could see of him was the swish of his tail then he was gone. I ground my teeth together and growled. He knows I can’t fly and the guild is a few miles away. I rolled my eyes, if I didn’t get there a little after him he would make me shine all his scales and trim his claws. I shuddered at that last thought. I gathered my breath and took off into the forest.

***

I slowed my pace when I came to the guild’s gates. They were tall black bars with spear points. I pushed opened the gate and waved to Dale and Sara. They nodded back and closed the gates and took up there guard posts. I ran the rest of the way to the guild entrance hoping that Bruce would be lenient with me.

I stepped into the guild and was greeted by the sight of rushing apprentices. One apprentice stopped and approached me. She was short and pudgy. Her cheeks were flushed and she was out of breath.

“Bandit, Ogle asked me to tell you that he wants to talk to you.” I nodded and started to walk away. “Oh hey Bandit, are you okay?” I looked back at her confused.

“Why do you ask?” I turned to her. She looked down when she noticed that she had my attention. She was always very shy. Supposedly she was abused growing up, that’s why she always submitted to people and their needs.

“Well you look a little sick around the gills, and you have something on your face” she stuttered out. Then turn without warning and left. I watched her disappeared and wiped my hand on my face. My hands came back clean. I shook my head and went to find a mirror.

I peered into the mirror and saw nothing but the same old me. My golden brown hair with red highlights was put up in a high ponytail. My eyes were an emerald green with gold specks accompanied by long lashes. I was about to turn away when I noticed what looked to be a light line of dirt under both of my eyes. They curved with the shape of my eyes. I tried to wipe them away but they just stayed put, they didn’t even smear.

“You know vanity is one of the seven deadly sins,” Bruce teased. He was leaning against the wall behind me smiling. I smiled back.

“You know sloth is one to. You could’ve cleared your slate if you ran with me instead of
flying off.” I turned around with my arms crossed, all he did was laugh.

“To shay.” He bowed his head. “But let’s set aside our petty fight. Ogle has a job for you,” he smiled and led the way. I rolled my eyes and followed. He always did that. He would talk to me then just turn and leave. Now if I did that he would make me clean his clothes for a month.

“Bruce, Bandit. Just the people I want to see. I have a job for you two,” Ogle said handing me and Bruce separate notes. I unfold the note. For my next hit I had to kill someone called Charles.