Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

XXI.

I wake up and am stunned to see sunlight streaming through my window. I was half expecting the world to be covered by my unnatural storm forever. I sit up, my limbs feeling heavy with disuse. My right arm is in a splint. This is the second time in less than a month that I've been bedridden, I think with a grim smile. Kingsley and Bandit are horrible influences. I slip into the bathroom and shower, wondering how long I was asleep this time. My appearance in the mirror makes me double-take. I've lost weight; my cheekbones are more prominent. There are not-quite-healed bruises covering my forearms, and a jagged scar on the left side of my face, starting from the hairline at my temple and ending at the bottom of my ear. The cut still looks slightly fresh, and I wince, imaging what I must have looked like before I was rescued.

I lift my nightgown and take in the sight of still more bruises on my sides, and another line of stitches running from my hip almost to my underarm. I've never been vain like Cecily, but I admit it makes me sad to see the scars. After I've bathed, I towel-dry my long hair and try to arrange it as best I can to cover the scar. I dress in a long sleeved pale blue dress and pad barefoot through the halls, looking for everyone. I feel refreshed, although the nightmares I've had about that night have left a haunted feeling in my soul.

Not surprisingly, I find everyone in Father's study. I'm pleased to see that everyone looks all right; although they all seem to have some bumps and bruises themselves. Bandit moves stiffly, and I know the injury to her ribs must still be painful. Bruce has a cast on his leg and a gash on his cheek. Edgar and Sebastian are here as well, with nothing more than several scrapes. Kingsley also looks relatively unharmed, and I find my mouth stretching into a smile at just the sight of him.

"Having an adventure without me?" I finally say, interrupting their conversation. Kingsley's eyes light up and he crosses the room in two quick strides of his long legs, wraps his arms around me, lifts me into the air and kisses me so forcefully I forget to breathe. He spins me in a circle.

"Ahem." It takes us a moment to disentangle ourselves and turn to face a smirking Edgar ad an uncomfortable looking Sebastian. Bruce just has his eyes rolled toward the ceiling and Bandit is pretending to retch.

"Sorry," Kingsley says, but he doesn't sound like it. My father looks ever so slightly ill, but his eyes twinkle amusedly.

"So, what did I miss?" I ask. "Did I destroy the entire island?" I try to keep my tone light, but I can hear a faint tremble in my voice.

"There was some damage, but I made sure to have everyone informed of what happened. There were no casualties, aside from the ones we inflicted to begin with, anyway, and everyone's been hard at work rebuilding anything that was damaged in the storm."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

"Giselle, no one's blaming you," Kingsley interrupts.

"I probably should have told you the truth years ago," Father says. "Better late than never. Sit down, and I'll tell you everything."

I do as he says, settling down on the couch between Bandit and Kingsley.

"Glad to see you're okay," I whisper to her.

"Ditto."

"I met Leandra Rose many years ago," Father begins. "It was love at first sight for me. For her, not so much." He chuckles. "But eventually I won her over. Unfortunately, her family was wary of her being with anyone who was not Driat, and my family had a marriage already in mind for me. It just wasn't in the stars for us to be together, but we couldn't stay away from each other. And I can assure you, girls, I don't regret one moment I shared with your mother. She was an amazing woman, and I'm proud to say you've both turned out exactly like her." He pauses to give us a warm, fatherly look, which makes Bandit blush.

"Leandra was not in the best place to be raising a child when Giselle was born, and that's why I took her after her birth and raised her here. I'm sorry to say, I didn't even know about Bandit. However, after carefully examining Philippa's things after her death, I discovered a latter that Leandra had sent me, telling me of her new pregnancy. Philippa must have found it before me and hidden it." His eyes darken briefly. "I had told Philippa that I found Giselle abandoned near the shore, and she seemed to believe it, for a while. But then she found a letter from Leandra. One of our love letters. She flew into a rage, swearing that she would destroy Leandra if I kept seeing her. I only saw your mother once after that. If I had only known about the letter telling me of Bandit... Well, at least we're together now. Leandra would have been happy to see her daughters finally united."

"Would have...?" I say timidly.

"Leandra went into hiding after I warned her of Philippa's wrath. I received word from her brother, nearly three years later, that she had died. Drowned when a ship she was on went down." Father sighs, his eyes taking on that far-away, anguished look that only someone who has lost their true love can have. We all remain silent, allowing him his moment of painful memories.

"I watched you closely, Giselle," he finally continues. "Trying to determine if you would show Driat or Elemental powers. It seems the Driat in you is completely dormant; however your powers over water are extraordinary. You actually began showing signs of your power when you were a child, instead of just when you turned fourteen. I didn't tell you or begin your training early, partially because I was afraid of what Philippa might do, but also because I was worried about you knowing you were so different. I thought it might lead to questions that I just wasn't ready to answer. And I'm sorry for that; you deserved to know and if I had started teaching you back then it might be easier for you to control your powers now."

"I forgive you for that," I tell him. "What happened to Charles and Cecily?"

"Charles has returned to University. Never to return, I'm certain. Kingsley put quite the scare into him." Kingsley smirks. "And Cecily has simply disappeared. When she heard about what happened, it seems she packed some bags and hopped a ship out of town."

"Cowards, the both of them," Bandit scoffs.

"So what happens now?" Sebastian asks. We all look to Father.

"Well, of course I wish for Bandit to stay here. I think it's time my long-lost daughter got to know her family. Plus she'll need training with her Elemental powers. And Bruce, if you'd like to stay, you're more than welcome. You can be my personal guard. Kingsley, of course, has already opted to stay and given command of his bounty hunter crew to his first mate." Father's eyes crinkle around the edges. "And I can only assume, Giselle, that you'll wish to accompany us to Ridenvell."

I sit up straighter, nodding eagerly. "Of course!"

Father looks to Bandit and Bruce, awaiting their answers. They trade a look.

"I guess sticking around couldn't hurt," Bandit replies nonchalantly. I roll my eyes. I can sense excitement radiating off of her.

"I'm too old for the assassination thing now anyway," Bruce says gruffly. Father claps his hands.

"Very well! It's settled then. We all depart for Ridenvell as soon as everyone is back in good health."

"Oh come on!" Bandit and I cry simultaneously. The men all snicker.

"Acting like sisters already," Edgar says.

"We want to go now!" Bandit insists. "We feel fine." I nod my assent. Father smiles.

"Definitely Leandra's daughters," he says fondly. "We'll leave within the week."

Bandit and I exchange triumphant looks.

"So, I guess we're gonna be shipmates now...sis," Bandit says, a tad awkwardly. I grin.

"Yeah, you're gonna be stuck with us for a while."

"You know, that actually doesn't seem as terrible as it sounds..." Bandit muses. I laugh. Then I wrap my arms around my new baby sister, planting a loud kiss on her cheek.

"Oh, gross! Get off, Giselle!"

I think she and Bruce will fit in here perfectly.
♠ ♠ ♠
For all you who subscribed to this and like it, we will be getting a sequel up ASAP, called Thicker Than Water. Keep an eye out for it if you want to read more about Bandit and Giselle's adventures. And thanks for reading!