Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

IV.

I stared into the window, looking at my reflection. The lines of so called dirt had progressively gotten thicker throughout the boat trip. We had finally made it to port and the lines had started to drip down my face turning into long thin triangles.

“Hey honey, what are you doing in there? We don’t want to keep your soon to be husband waiting,” Bruce called through the door. I pulled the scarf off my neck and wrapped it around my head and face, so only my eyes were visible. Luckily Bruce didn’t ask any questions he thought it went with our cover.

I opened the door and Bruce greeted me with a nod of his head. As far as the crew knew Bruce and I were foreigners. Our cover was that Bruce was taking me to my one and only love, the only person who would be able to look upon my face, my soon to be husband. To top it off I think Bruce was enjoying treating me like his treasured daughter. He especially liked beating on the crew every time they did something offensive to me.

“Are you ready?” I nodded remembering I shouldn’t talk and followed him. As we made our way by the crew they took off their hats to show respect for a lady. This crew may call themselves bounty hunters, but they had nothing on Bruce and me.

Bruce thanked the crew then led me by the elbow off the ship. There was no fanfare or commotion; we were seen as a pair of nobodies. Just the way we liked it.

“Our contact is tall, tan, and built live a grave digger. He has midnight black hair that covers his face. If you get a glimpse of his eyes they should be a golden yellow. Got that?” Bruce whispered in my ear and I nodded.

After we were off the pier and well into town, Bruce let go of me and went looking for our man. I kept my eyes on the ground, trying to look like a submissive lady and only glancing up at the passerby’s through my eye lashes.

Finally I spotted our contact. When Bruce said he was tall he wasn’t lying. He was so tall that if we were in a storm he would attract all the lightning. He was leaning against the side of the Barking Fish Inn with a sick hanging from the side of his mouth. He was dressed like a fisherman, but the way he looked he put shame to all true fishermen. Women passing by were so taken by him that they had the audacity to whistle and call to him. Of course he would smile to them, causing them to blush. I rolled my eyes. Our contact was attracting so much attention that we may just get caught.

Bruce and I slowly approached him, causing him to look up through his hair. He gave us a nod of acknowledgement and straightened. His hair parted revealing a stream of jagged pale yellow lines jetting from his ear and covering the whole left side of his face and his neck. His eyes seemed looked like a liquid lightning. I know it is a lame way to describe them but nothing else came to mind when I looked at them.

“They say dragons are peaceful creatures” the man said.

“Only when they are slated with blood,” Bruce returned. They both smiled and shook hands. Yep this was our contact. He turned to me and smiled then took out a folded paper.

“Names Kingsley.” He unfolded his paper and took a second to read it. Bruce and I mirrored Kingsley and took out our notes. We each unfolded ours. “Our hit is to take place at the targets manor. Whoever it is they pissed off the wrong people. The Granagde House is our employer.” The name sounded familiar. Weren’t they a house of fire elementals, also I think they work closely with the Talaos Royal House.

“My name’s Bruce. Our target is a plant elemental. He has a tattoo of silver-green vines crawling over one side of his face. He is described as average height, thin with little or no muscle and a buzz cut of brown black hair. Oh and get this his eyes are full of shit brown,” Bruce laughed out. Then folded his paper and put it away. My turn.

“Bandit’s the name. The targets name is Charles of Daggyrmir House,” I paused to think, that name sounded familiar. Kingsley barked out a laugh, drawing the attention of a two girls. One girl was wearing a bright green dress, and she looked like she was just pushed into a river. Her gown was sticking to her body and her hair was matted against her head and neck. The other girl was in a dark blue dress with a tattoo on her face. Almost everyone here had tattoos on their face. It had to hurt, sitting in a chair and letting them stab you over and over. Her long black hair framed her face making her light blue eyes pop.

“The Daggyrmir House. Oh great,” Kingsley said pulling my attention back to him.

“Is that bad?” Bruce asked. Kingsley just shook his head.

“Let’s just say we have just entered a power struggle and if we aren’t careful we will end up dead.”

“So how do we get into the Daggyrmir Manor?” I asked glancing at the two girls again. They both were staring at our group more importantly Kingsley.

“Well, you two will keep your cover. We will just squeak it a little. I will be your guard. And instead of you going to your soon to be husband you will be looking for one. The Talaso is hosting a party and all the Houses are attending, and luckily I can cover for you two. I am from an old house. I will be able to get us in,” Kingsley declared, but he seemed too confident. Especially since he wasn’t going in as bait, I was.