Sequel: Thicker Than Water
Status: Completed

Shattered Truth

VIII.

“Bandit where’s Kingsley?” Bruce asked between gulps of his brown ale. I slide into the booth and looked at the door. It was closed.

“He was right behind me.” I glance at the door again; still he had yet to come in.

“Can I get you anything?” I looked up to see a red haired barmaid.

“Cider.” She nodded and left. I glanced at the door one last time and still no Kingsley. I leaned back against the booth and closed my eyes. “Well no matter what, I fucked up this hit. Our target is going to be more suspicious now,” I quietly stated. I opened my eyes to see Bruce nodding.

“Bandit, why don’t you take off the scarf. That thing looks uncomfortable as hell. It’s not like we have to worry about our cover getting blown here.” I stared at him thinking of a way to respond, when the barmaid delivered my cider. As soon as she left Bruce looked at me expectantly, my mind was going at a hundred miles an hour trying to come up with a decent excuse. Then I heard the bar door open. I turned my head and was glad I was wearing my scarf.

Kingsley was dragging Giselle Daggyrmir, by hand, into the tavern. After the ball I decided to do some digging and find out who this blue eyed girl was. It was a damn good thing I did too.

“Please tell me I’m hallucinating?” Bruce asked. I shook my head. “He better not bring her over here.” Unfortunately he did just that. Kingsley was breathing hard, and Giselle looked panic stricken. I glanced at Bruce, he kept his face unreadable.

“Giselle was just attacked by some thugs and got hurt do you think you can help?” Kingsley asked sheepishly. Bruce nodded.

“Honey, scoot towards me and let them side in.” I obliged Bruce and scooted. As soon as I was next to him I nudged him in his ribs. He nudged back, but kept his face unreadable.

“Thanks Bruce.” Kingsley stepped aside to let Giselle scoot in first. She heisted for a second. I would’ve to. She looked at us unsure of what to do.

“Giselle, is it?” Bruce asked; she nodded. “My daughter here is quite good with first aid. Come sit by her and she will fix you right up.” Then Bruce gave his nicest most innocent smile he could muster up. I almost laughed. She looked at her hand, shrugged then slide in followed by Kingsley.

As soon as she was next to me I took her hand. She yelped in surprise but didn’t pull back. I examined the wound. Then pulled away and started looking for a needle and sinew in the folds of my cloak. Being an assassin you never know what you’ll need. Finally finding my tools I pulled them out. Giselle’s eyes widened.

“You know what. I think if I hurry back to the manor I’ll be fine. Thanks and it was nice meeting. But I got to go.” She tried to scoot out but Kingsley wouldn’t budge. She swivel around and glared at him. Her glare was so fierce he actually flinched, but his concern over her kept him there. That there was true love, I wanted to gage.

“Giselle you need help. I have help. You’re going to get helped,” Kingsley ordered. I heard a splashing sound and looked at my mug of cider the liquid was actually moving back and fourth like an ocean. I looked up and leaned over Bruce to get a glimpse of her face. Oh yeah she was pissed. I don’t think she liked being ordered around. Then the lights started to flicker and spark. I looked at Kingsley. Yep we weren’t going to get anywhere with those two.

I waved to the passing barmaid and held up two fingers. She nodded and left. I straightened my shoulder and decided to say something.

“Okay if you won’t let me stitch it up can I at least wrap it?” Giselle broke contact and looked me. When I say look I mean really looked. She was examining me. She cocked her eyebrow, nodded, shoved her hand at me then went back to glaring at Kingsley. I glanced at Bruce. He smirked, shook his head and finished off his ale.

I poked at her wound and she didn’t flinch. I pushed my finger harder into the wound and she did nothing. Well I mind as well try. I put the sinew in the needle and tied a knot. The barmaid came back and dropped off the two mugs of ale. Bruce went to grab one but Kingsley snatched it up. Bruce huffed then went for the other one, but Giselle grabbed it. He jutted his jaw out and snatched mine and smiled. He took a slip and wrinkled his nose.

“Cider!” I smiled and laughed, served him right. I readied the needle and started stitching Giselle’s hand. She was so into her glaring contest she didn’t even notice. I put the sinew and needle away and ripped some of my cloak.

“Are you done yet?” She looked over at her hand and paused. She stared and her hand not comprehending the stitches. She looked up. “You stitched it and I didn’t even feel it?” I nodded and wrapped it up. “Thanks.”

“Did I tell or did I tell you my daughter’s good, isn’t she?” Bruce beamed with pride. Giselle nodded.

“So what brings you to this port?” Giselle asked. I glanced at Bruce.

“I’m looking for a husband for my daughter.” Giselle gave him a questioning look.

“Is that part of your culture?” I sat back to relax, this was going to be a long conversation.

“Yes.”
“Is wearing that scarf around her face part of your culture?” I touched the scarf; I didn’t think it looked that bad.

“Yes.”

“Why?” I looked at Bruce I could tell he was starting to get annoyed with all of her questioning.

“Because only her husband and father may have the pleasure of looking at her face,” Bruce said with a warning tone telling her to stop asking.

“That’s lame.” My eyes shot open, I looked at her. She calmly chugged down her ale. Bruce snorted.

“Well it doesn’t matter what you think now does it?” Giselle shot him a glare.

“Yes it does. She is a woman, I am a woman and women need to stick together. She shouldn't be forced to marry someone just because you say so.” She leaned over the table to get into his face. Bruce leaned forward.

“I have great judgment, so she will like who I pick.” They both sat there glaring at each other. Damn Giselle knew how to glare. If I didn’t stop this now things could get out of hand and attract too much attention to us. I looked at Kingsley for help he nodded.

“Bruce, Bandit, we should get going. It’s been a long day.” My eye twitched. He had to say my name. Giselle backed up and looked at me.

“Bandit? That’s an interesting name.” I nodded.

“Yeah I know.” Bruce stood and started pulling me out.

“Kingsley is right we need to get going.” I stood and waited for Kingsley. Giselle watched and looked like she was thinking hard.

“Where are you guys staying?” She slid out of the booth.

“The Barking Fish Inn. Why?” Kingsley asked.

“Well it is only right if I invite you to stay at my manor. I mean Kingsley offered me assistance and Bandit stitched me up without an ounce of pain. Please I offer my hospitality.” I looked and Bruce then at Kingsley. Their faces were black with unwanted emotion but their eyes held a spark of mischief.

“Well I don’t know,” Kingsley replied.

“Barking Fish Inn is in the more seedy area of town. I would be worried about Bandit, if you didn’t stay with me.” I watched as Giselle’s eyes got all big and puppy like. Bruce didn’t fall for it, but man Kingsley was putty in her hand.

“Well if you insist. How about that Bandit, we get to stay with Giselle-” Bruce looked at Giselle. She hesitated.

“Daggyrmir.” Bruce smiled.

“It sounds fine to me.” This was going to be pie. Find Charles, whack him then get the hell out of here.