Orphaned

Don't Stop Believin'

We are on a family trip. We are going to see the Rocky Mountains. Mom is driving and we are all just having a good time. In the front seat sits my Mom and Dad. In the middle seat is me and my brother Erick. In the back seat is my sister Hunter and brother Daniel. I had asked Dad to put in a CD that I brought along. It has only instrumental versions of hit songs on it. The first song was "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. We all sing along every time we have these in.

"Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world, she took the midnight train going anywhere," I sang.

"Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit, he took the midnight train going anywhere," Erick sang.

"A singer in a smokey room, the smell of wine and cheap perfume," Dad sang.

"For a smile they can share the night, and it goes on and on and on and on," Mom sang.

"Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard, their shadows searching in the night, streetlights people, living just to find emotion, hiding somewhere in the night," everybody sang together.

"Working hard to get my fill, Everybody wants a thrill, payin' anything to roll the dice, just one more time," Daniel sang.

"Some will win, some will lose, some were born to sing the blues, oh, the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on," Hunter sang.

"Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard, their shadows searching in the night, streetlights people, living just to find emotion, hiding somewhere in the night," everybody sang together again, before the van in the other lane swerved into our lane and hit us head on. Everything went black from there. I couldn't hear anything. I just hoped that everything would be alright.