Orphaned

The Dreaded Day

Today is the day that we bury my parents. My boyfriend, Mason, said he would be by my side the entire time. I trust him and I know that I will need him by my side.

"Kirbs, you ready?" Hunter asked knocking on my door.

"As I'll ever be," I said. I was wearing a black dress with black flats.

"I'll send Mason up then," she said.

"Thanks," I said. I can't believe I'm an orphan. I mean seriously, I never thought it would happen to me. If I heard of this ever happening to somebody, I was always like, oh that sucks, I'm glad that will never happen to me. Now look at me, I'm going through that exact thing.

"How are you doing?" Mason asked after walking into my room.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I know that is something that I shouldn't have asked. I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I said, before kissing him. I saw fireworks as we kissed, like every other time when we kiss.

"I have something for you," he said. He got up and grabbed something from outside of my room. He came back and hid it behind his back.

"I figured you would need something to cuddle with so I bought you this Teddy bear," he said giving me the bear.

"Awe, how sweet of you," I said. The bear was a light tan with a big red bow around its neck.

"I'm glad you like it," he said. I put the teddy bear on my bed. I knew we had to go. I may not like the reason, but there are no excuses to get out of it.

"I love it, but we should go," I said. Mason complied and we went downstairs.

Mason is a good looking guy. He has brown hair that goes to the middle of his ear lobe, and light tan skin. He is five feet and nine inches tall. He is an athletic guy, and has nice muscles. He is a year older than me, though. His Dad is a dairy farmer and he has to help out around the farm, often.

We are now in Mason's truck. He is holding my hand. We were sitting in silence listening to music on the radio. I was happy that Mason promised to stay by my side.

Just then Slipped Away by Avril Lavigne came onto the radio and I began to cry. This song is so entirely true for me at this moment.

"Kirbs, its alright," Mason said.

"Mase, it is nowhere near 'alright,' I'm an orphan. I didn't really get to say goodbye. I am lost without my parents. Most people would be. Honestly I'm not joking. I realize I'm not the only person going through this, but I also know that I can be a little selfish every now and then," I said, as we arrived at the church where the entire service would be held. There isn't a viewing because they are cremated. We went in and began the dreaded day.