Status: active

Be Kind

I Could Be There For You

Day two of production and I actually got to wake up early and get ready. I put on a cute floral babydoll dress with some simple boots, why shouldn’t I try and dress nice in front of my old friends I didn’t want them to think I was a lowlife. I stopped at a donut shop and bought a dozen and a half donuts then finally headed to the studio where I managed to be early.

“You’re looking a lot better today actually somewhat cheery.” Howard said as I set down the donuts on the table.

“ I woke up early this morning and I don’t have to wear a scarf on my face and so far no one hates me.”

“Wait so everyone knows now?” He didn’t know I even talked to anyone last night.

“Only two of them don’t know, but I’m hoping they’ll take it as well as the rest did.” I smiled grabbing a white cake donut with chocolate frosting and circle sprinkles. Right when the clock hit nine the boys walked in, my stomach was in knots utterly scared of Kennedy’s reaction. He was the last one to walk into the room.

“W-what?! Ashton fucking Middelin? No, no, no, no, no!” I assumed that my hope for him taking it well wasn’t going to happen. “Why am I the only one freaking out?” he looked at everyone who had already found their way to the box of donuts. “Oh ok so everyone knew except me? Of course she would tell everyone else before me. Jesus Christ how long will I have to be reminded of you Ashton.” My eyes brimmed with tears.

“Kennedy chill out you aren’t allowed to hurt Ashton please calm down.” Garrett stood up for me.

“She’s probably going to mix our album so that it sounds like shit. She hates our band already.”

“She would lose her job if she went through with that.” Howard was being nice to someone completely irrational. Kennedy grunted as he sat down.

“Who knew recording this album would be so stressful.” Kennedy and I needed to talk but he wasn’t having it. I started tracking Pat’s drums when John came up to talk to me. “I didn’t think he’d still be upset I mean it doesn’t make sense.”

“Yeah it does I screwed you and him over, I mean I’m sure you still hate me.” He sighed

“You’d be surprised how much I’ve changed my opinions Ashton, I definitely don’t hate you, I even thought about contacting you but I was scared you wouldn’t talk to me.” I laughed I was the one who messed up “We should go to dinner tonight to catch up on everything. I mean obviously a lot has happened look at where we are.” I smiled and agreed to hangout with him after our session which was a short one today so I also would have a shift at Amoeba until 9 when I would finally get to hang out with John.

I already looked okay from getting up early this morning, so I fixed my smudged make up in my car mirror before leaving Ameoba’s underground parking lot to pick up John. I called him when I got there and he came right out wearing a black blazer with a white v-neck, it was simple but it looked nice. Dinner for a normal person in LA would be at some fancy pants restaurant but for me I wanted John to see the best of California. I took him to a place called the Baked Potato.

The Baked Potato was a tiny place the size of a living room probably; Part bar, part stage, part seating. Tonight was ‘Screaming Cocktail Hour’ a night for people to show off real talent. My mom’s friend Vickie showed it to me when I moved down here. The first time I went David Spade was there enjoying the young talent.

“What is this place?” John asked in awe as we walked into the very dimly lit place as an amazing guitarist I knew as Allen of The Buddha Heads thanks to Vickie. I smiled as I heard the beautiful tone of his guitar.

“The Baked Potato, welcome to Screaming Cocktail Hour,” I went up to the bar and ordered us two bacon and cheese filled potatoes, two beers, and took a seat.

“And Screaming Cocktail Hour is what exactly?” He was so entranced and confused.

“The best music you will ever hear.” I laughed “It’s basically a jam session for amateur musicians and some pro musicians, the best are the amazing musicians that just never made it.” He just looked like a little kid in a candy shop. I looked over at the stage to see Slash go up and replace Allen. “Oh god no!” I said making John angry.

“What do you mean no?! He’s Slash, he is a God!” I chuckled at his silliness.

“Yea he’s great but he’s pretty much only good at stuff he’s written, he’s horrible at jamming if you can’t jam you aren’t that great” John looked at me wide eyed “He’s really sweet though, he’s very soft spoken.” His eyes got even wider.

“You’ve talked to him?!” John’s excitedness made my night.

“He’s in here all the time, we’ve hung out and drank together at the bar.”

“Your life really did change Ashton you’ve gotten everything you ever wanted and more, I’m proud of you.”

“I’m proud of you too John I mean I just did what I loved, you’ve done that and have fans and have done something truly amazing. I just help people like you make music, You are the ones who change lives.” He smiled

“Yes, but you’ve met Slash!” I laughed at him I really didn’t realize how much I missed him until I saw him smile.

“Do you want to sing John I can get you on stage and you can say you’ve performed for Slash.” His eyes widened and I laughed and went to look for Allen to see if he’d play a Neil Young song with John. Since Allen and I were friends he agreed, he said he wanted to laugh at the poor kids attempt at singing. I pushed John onto the stage Allen and I laughed at the fact that he was nervous even though he performs for a living.

Don’t cry was the song Allen chose to play and despite his nerves John sounded great.

“Hey Red, your friend isn’t too bad” Slash said to me as I leaned against the bar to watch, I smiled as I knew it was true. “You dating him?” I shook my head.

“No we’re just really close.” We hadn’t spoke in 3 or 4 years yet tonight made me feel very close to him again.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You're lying!" John yelled excitedly in my car on the ride home.

"I swear Slash came up to me and told me you weren't that bad." his eyes were crazy from excitement.

"And why didn't you tell me Slash called you red?" I laughed.

"I have red hair, it isn't a big deal. Seriously you need to calm down."

"I can't! I'm too excited I need to calm down though the guys can't know about tonight." I sighed

"Lets go to my house I can attempt to calm you down with ice cream or something." It was already 1:30 in the morning.

"Well, well, well I get to see where the marvelous Ashton lives now." I laughed as I parked my car in my usual parking spot and had John follow me to my apartment.

"I'm surprised you're living alone, I figured you would have married a bearded indie rock guitarist by now" I laughed at his silly statement as I unlocked my door and let him in only to see Brett watching TV on my couch. "I guess I was wrong about it being a indie bearded man."

"Who's this babe?" Brett stood up, I uncomfortably moved into my kitchen and grabbed my carton of rocky road from my freezer as well as two spoons and returned to the living room.

An old friend from high school, we're reconnecting." I smiled at John who looked super awkward. "And John, this is Brett, my best friend who I should have never given a key to." Brett rolled his eyes.

"Looks like I'm not getting any sex tonight so I'll just leave." Brett grabbed his jacket from the couch and walked towards the door.

"You could always get a girlfriend for that you know." I said to him annoyed at the only reason he was there. His reply was 'I tried' he looked so sad too. "I'm sorry about Brett he's... awkward." I apologized to John.

"You tend to fall for those awkward types I mean Kennedy, Me, John Gomez." I laughed at how true it was "I assume you're are the one he was referring to with that pity wrenched 'I tried' I mean obviously you already have sex with him why not get with him?" John had an attitude and I didn't like it.

"Okay you know what, no more ice cream." I put the lid back on and stood up off the couch.

"Okay I'm sorry that was out of line." at least he could admit it. I handed him the ice cream container.

"I've changed John, you don't know me anymore, so please don't judge me." he nodded sticking a large spoonful of rocky road into his mouth. "So tell me an update on your life since we stopped talking."

"Well hmm, lets try and remember high school. I broke up with Myriah after I found out the kid wasn't mine." I gasped "Yeah then the Maine got a lot of fans magically and we made some EP's and we have one record out now an now we're recording with your boss."

"I meant more about YOUR life not your bands life." he let out a sigh.

"I'm boring I took up smoking, I drink too much, I haven't had a girlfriend since Myriah and when I'm not touring I'm still living with my parents. I haven't changed much since high school." He looked ashamed.

"I'm sorry love," he smiled "My life may seem a lot better but honestly I haven't been happy. I haven't had a boyfriend since John G and that was a long ass relationship for nothing, I ended up hurting him anyways. That's why I don't want a relationship with Brett, I don't like him like that and I don't want it to end in me fucking up, boys are so emotional." John laughed at my last statement.

"Yes, Yes we are, I mean look at Kennedy still mad after all these years." I rolled my eyes.

After a few more minutes of awkward conversations I drove him back to the Maine's apartment and had an awkward side hug goodbye in the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this chapter is short and I'm sorry it took forever to post. I thought I lost my story, and I just found it tonight in the trunk of my car under a bunch of random stuff. :)
I hoped you liked it and if you did please comment.

------------
Update on my life: I saw the Maine 2 times this week once at the Grove in Anaheim, and then my friends and I drove to Tempe for her birthday and saw them at the Marquee. Maybe I saw some of you there :)