Status: Still writing and going to summer school to prepare for college updates when I can:)

Surprises of Life

Chapter 1

I stared at my mother in shock. I had just gotten home from my school that was two towns over. My mother had asked me to the parlor to tell me that we were moving. I let the breath I had been holding. “We’re moving to Oregon?” I whispered looking down at my lap with confusion readable on my face. The only good thing about moving was that I would not have to return to the school.

“Yes, we don’t have any way to make a living here anymore. Your uncle feels that we would be better off there. We will be leaving in just two months and you will need to start packing. We won’t be able to take everything with us so pack smart and make sure your clothes are first. Pack all extra items last.”

“Yes, ma’am. May I ask who else will be coming with us?”

“Dr. Roberts and his family are going with us. Your uncle has also decided that we will be releasing all of our slaves. They will be freed within the next month. Also know that your uncle may be changing the date of departure.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I bowed my head and left the room quietly. This is a large change and I was a bit shocked by it. I had seen no signs that we were in enough financial issues that would cause us to move. I decided to take a walk to try and clear my head as well as to see if any of my friends were still out. I nodded to the servants working outside and slipped my bonnet on. I turned left and walked towards Dr. Roberts’ house. I nodded to a couple of people on the way. I smiled seeing Luc walking out to their family barn. “Luc,” I called and ran towards him. He turned towards me and I gasped he had grown so much.

“Alexa, welcome home, it’s been too long since you’ve been home last. I’ve missed you,”

“I’ve missed you as well, and I was glad to hear that we will be spending a lot of time together soon.”

“Yes, I’ve heard that as well. I cannot wait to be on our way. Father said I may be able to drive the wagon sometimes.” He sounded very pleased with himself.

I smiled staring at his face, his brown eyes bright with excitement. He was smiling wide so
I could see his dimples. “Alexa,”

“Sorry,” I blushed looking down.

“So has your school trained you so well that I cannot get a hug?”

“Of course not, I will always have a hug for you.” I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. His arms wrapped around my waist and squeezed. We pulled away and smiled at each other. “I’m only proper in public, where it is demanded.”

“I’ll keep that in mind. I was actually going to come talk to your uncle before you came home but you came home early. Not that I am complaining.” He added quickly. I looked down blushing once again. “Why do you keep blushing? Surely you aren’t embarrassed? We’ve known each other since you were born.”

“I don’t know why I blush, it is involuntary. I should be getting home, Mother wants me to start packing. I believe my uncle would rather leave earlier than later. I just wanted to come say ‘hi’.”

“Well, thank you for coming. It means a lot to me. I’ll be stopping by later.”

“Okay, tell your mother and sister that I said ‘hello.’ I hope I’ll see you soon.”

“I will and I’m glad you’re finally home. It’s been pretty lonely around here since you left.”

“Thanks, I was worried no one missed me.” I smiled and turned to go.

“Alexa, I’ll always miss you.” He reached for my hand and gently brought it to his lips.

“Thank you,” I started walking away thinking about what had just happened. His lips had felt soft on my hand. He had said that he’d always miss me. Now if only I could figure out what he wished to speak with my uncle about.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay I edited the first chapter and my computer doesn't want to delete the old one right now so I'll get rid of it when I can:)

~Rach