Sequel: Ours Now....
Status: All done!

Ours Then....

Day 9

Ours Then….

Day 9
Sid,
You’re stomping around the house now, upset over a playoff loss. You’ve got a home game in two days to get in the running to move on again. You’re upset over this loss, I know. You’re not feeling 100% and your pride is bruised, like it always seems to be after a loss. But I remember a time when you put all that aside, for me.

I was standing on deck, loosening up my arms. I had my earbuds in and my mp3 going loud. Rolling my neck, I tried to block out my thoughts. You were on my mind and I couldn’t afford to be distracted. Hearing my event number being called, I turned my music off and made my way over to my lane. I jumped up and down, getting my adrenaline running. I felt a hand on my shoulder then and I whipped around. It was Shannon.

“Look!” she exclaimed pointing up at the bleachers.

I turned, not knowing what to expect. You were there, standing with your parents. You waved and I grinned, offering a small wave of my own.

“I said, swimmers up!” the announcer called again.

I gasped and jumped up onto the starting blocks, ready to focus.

“Swimmers, take your marks. Get set….GO!” he called out.

I launched myself off the block, pure adrenaline pumping through my veins. Getting into a breathing pattern, I set to work keeping pace for the first 75 meters. As I made my last flip-turn, I let my flutter kick pick up and my freestyle stroke get faster. Taking my last breath 20 meters to go, I pushed myself to go harder.

Letting my hand slam against the wall, I gasped for air. I looked up at the times.

LUX LANE 6- :57.5 -1st PLACE

I could feel a shit eating grin spread across my face. Climbing out of the pool, I was embraced by most of my teammates. We screamed and laughed. I could feel tears streaming down my face but I didn’t care. I threw my head back and let out a long and loud ‘Ahhhhhhhh!’. Turning and looking up at you in the stands, you and your parents were back on your feet cheering. Seeing you there, standing and cheering FOR ME, made me lose my breath all over again. I tore my swim cap off, letting my hair fall out of its bun, I waved and smiled. You were there. You were actually there.

After getting 2nd place in a 100 meter backstroke race and 1st in an IM Medley Relay, I was trooping out of the locker room with my medals. I saw you and your parents standing at the end of the hall. You turned and saw me too. I dropped my duffel and embraced you, letting you pick me up off my feet and swing me around.

“I’m so sorry,” you whispered into my ear. “I was an idiot. A douche, a tool, take your pick of insults. I deserve-,”

I cut you off. “Just don’t let it happen again, Golden Boy. I won’t let you off as easy.”

Your big lips parted into a smile, making me laugh.

“Great job, dear,” your mother said.

“Well done,” your father nodded.

“Thank you, so much,” I thanked them. “Thank you for coming tonight. I’m sure you had other plans.”

“Not at all,” your dad said shaking his head.

“Actually, speaking of plans, we wanted to talk with you,” your mother began.

Your left hand was on my hip, tracing circles and giving me chills. Your right hand was playing with the medals around my neck and it was all very distracting, but I nodded to her.

“This summer, we would like you to come up to Nova Scotia for Sidney’s birthday,” you father explained.

My eyes widened. “Really? I would love to. I-I really would.”

“Wonderful. Now, let’s celebrate. We’ve got two champions with us tonight,” your mother nodded.

Day 9 Over and Out!
Yours,
Rory
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm setting things up for the summer! The next chapter will be their last day at Shattuck's and then the summer will start. I would like to hear what you think will happen after their summer break. I'll give you a hint, I'm trying to be pretty canon so if you know a little bit about Sidney Crosby, you'll pretty much have a major plot point there. Let me know you're thoughts in the comments, lovelies!

What Rory Wore