Finding the Truth

Letter

The weeks passed quickly as the school year began and Anna barely had any time to finish her homework, let alone look for the answer to her problems. True to Harry’s word, nor he nor Ron or Hermione, had said anything. Although, as months faded into late October, Harry’s patience was wearing thin so on the eve of the arrival of the participants for the tri-wizard tournament, Harry tracked her down.

As the others were spending the day in Hogsmead, Harry entered in the grounds of Hogwarts and under the beautiful oak tree by the Black Lake was Anna, beautiful brown hair blowing gently in the wind.

Anna looked up from her textbook as she heard footsteps approaching, “Hey Harry.” She said, with a smile.

He stared at her awkwardly for a minute before kneeling next to her, he glanced around before beginning, and said “We have to talk.”

“Hey Harry, did you know that you’re in here?” She asked, holding up her history of magic textbook.

“Ya,” he said, nonchalantly. “But, as I was saying-“He stopped, as he saw the look of curiosity in her eyes, and he realized he couldn’t do it. She had already had her world shattered once, he couldn’t be responsible for destroying her day when it may not even be true. “I, ummm, what I mean to say is-.”

She chuckled, lightly, “Harry, spit it out, it can’t be that difficult.” She went back to reading till he worked up the courage to say what he has to say.

“We, ummm,” He sighed, “We should go to dinner.”

Her head whipped to the side to look at him, “Are, are you asking me out, Harry?” She asked, with a slight quiver of fear in her voice.

“What I mean to say is, we should go to the dining hall, and the other students are going to be here soon.” Harry said, getting up and started to slowly walk away.

“Harry?” She called to him, and he turned back around. “That’s not what you were going to say, is it?”

As his green eyes rose to look at her own blue ones, she was shocked to see the pity forming there, “You know I’m the only one here who knows what you’re going through.”

“How could you possibly know what I’m going through?” She asked, feeling slightly defensive.

“For my entire life, my aunt and uncle had told me my parents had died in a car crash but when I was eleven, they were forced to tell me the truth when I got my letter of acceptance from Hogwarts.” Harry explained, while taking a seat next to her.

“Can I ask what happened to them?” She asked, closing her book.

“They were betrayed by one of their best friends, who were the cause of them being murdered by Voldemort.” She took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently.

“Who is that?” She asked gently.

He stared at her for a minute, before he realized she was being completely serious, “He is the most famous, dark wizard that was so evil, people actually fear using his name. My parents fought against him and that’s why he killed them.” Harry explained.

“Harry, I’m so sorry. I would give anything to know what happened to my parents, what if they died fighting for something great. What if, they abandoned me to give me a chance for a better life? I just don’t see why they had to lie to me about it.” She said, sadly.

“What if they didn’t?” He asked, his eyes resting on her book.

“What do you mean?” She asked taking her hand out of his with suspicion.

“What if this whole thing was a mistake? What if your whole life is wrong, but not because of your parents?” Harry asked, vaguely.

She got up suddenly, a look of anger written on her face, “Whose fault is it? You know don’t you, Harry? Don’t tell me that you don’t because I can see it written all over your face.” She said, as he looked down in shame.

“Did you ever send that letter?” Harry asked, meeting her eyes with a strange glimmer in them.

She left him kneeling under the tree by the lake and never looked back. As she walked past the great hall, she heard her name be called out. “Anna!” She whipped around and was met with the confused gaze of Draco Malfoy. “What’s wrong?”

The look in her eyes made the blood in body turn to ice and she asked quietly, “What do our fathers do together?”

“What?” He asked as he led her toward there common room.

“You said your father made you promise to look after me, how does he know me? Do our fathers work together?” She asked as they headed down to the dungeon.

“I don’t know. My father works at the ministry, but honestly, I don’t ever remember meeting any Prewetts.” Draco answered.

She shook her head; her hair whipped from side to side, “My father’s last name isn’t Prewett, it’s Rowle. I just found out he’s not my father, he’s just a guy that’s been taking care of me.” She said, while letting him steer her through the dungeon.

They sat down together on the common room couches, since it was dinner the place was deserted. “That’s rough, you never had any idea?”

“I never had a reason too, I’ve never seen a picture of my mother so I always assumed I look like her and he kept me cooped up because he didn’t want anything to happen to me. I thought he was being a good parent.” Her voice cracked, with the tears that threatened to pour out, she stole a glance at Draco and saw the look of fear in his eyes. “But, I was wrong, and now I have no idea who I am, I’m pretty sure my name isn’t even my name. Which really sucks because I think it’s really pretty.” She babbled, while crying in earnest now.

He stared at her for a minute before brushing the tears away from her eyes. “It’ll be alright, we’ll figure it out together.” He said quietly.

He pulled out a quill and some parchment and sat down to write the letter she couldn’t.