Finding the Truth

1981- Coping

1981

Remus stared out the window as he helped Molly wash the dishes. The snow falling was serene and tranquil, a perfect metaphor for his life at that moment.

“How are you doing, Remus?” Molly asked gently.

Remus sighed bitterly, “Well, my best friend is a convicted murderer; my other friend is gone thanks to the first. Lastly, my last friend in the world was murdered by Voldemort; along with his whole family.” Remus slammed his hands on the counter and blinked away silent tears.

Suddenly, a soft voice rang out behind them, “Da.”

Remus whipped around, “Oh, Katie.” He bent down to pick her up; her striking blue eyes peered into his for a second before she rested her tiny head under his chin.

“Remus, you have to be careful what you say, we have kids around.” Molly scolded.

“I’m sorry Molly; she’s the only thing keeping me together at this point. I never thought in a million years Sirius would have betrayed James. I’m glad Enid trusted me with her. If she would have been given to Peter; Katie would just have to readjust and who knows where she would have ended up after.” Remus said, worriedly.

“Enid did the right thing; there isn’t a more perfect person to take care of Katie then you and she loves you so much. How is your job?” Molly asked.

“So awful; Molly, I am a unloader at a parcel delivery company.” Remus said.

“You do what you have to too provide for that sweet girl.”

“I know but they think that I have a rare blood disease and somehow I’m strong enough to haul those packages every day. I hate that I have to lie about who I am.” He stated bitterly

“You won’t always be at the bottom of the barrel, eventually you’ll work your way up and maybe a manager. So you’ll never be able tell them the truth about your condition but at least you’ll be in a position of power.”

“And that’ll help?”

“It certainly won’t hurt.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a short one, just to show how he's coping with his best friend in jail, and his other two are dead, plus becoming a new father.