Finding the Truth

1983- Summer

Summer 1983

Molly, Remus and the kids were sitting in the leaky cauldron after a hard days shopping for the upcoming year of Hogwarts. The pub was just as gloomy as always but there were only a few patrons so it was the perfect place to bring tired, cranky kids.

“Are you feeling better about Charlie’s first year at Hogwarts?” Remus asked Molly, while stealing a glance at the three red-headed teens at the next table. The two older boys were reviewing their new Hogwarts textbooks. The youngest of the three was reading his brothers’ textbook: Hogwarts: A history.

“I feel better knowing that Bill will be there to take of him.” Molly said, while a young red-headed girl fussed in her arms. “Thank-you for coming with me today Remus.”

“It’s not a problem Molly, Katie hasn’t been out to the city before.” Remus said, looking lovingly at a small brown-haired girl with a button nose, striking blue eyes and skin so pale Snow White would look tan. She was playing quietly with a small red-headed boy and two slightly older boys who were chattering away.

“Hey Ron, check this out.” Katie watched as Fred focused on Percy, who was reading quietly at the table with Bill and Charlie. All of a sudden his milk erupted in front of him, covering the three in foaming bubbles.

“Ah, mom!” Percy cried, outraged.

Ron, the twins and I laughed as Aunt Molly yelled at Percy for making a mess. Unfortunately, our prank backfired and Aunt Molly and Uncle Lupin started to get us ready to leave. I pulled my jacket on quickly since I could see Aunt Molly was getting upset.

As we were walking to the door Ron tripped on his shoelaces and fell on top of me. “Ah!” I could see Uncle Lupin rush over as I nurse my scrapped elbows. Tears start to form in my eyes and suddenly hands grab me around the waist.

“There you go, little one.” A rough man’s voice rang out happily behind me as he put me on my feet.

I whipped around quickly to stare at a huge man with eyes that could be my own and hair so blond it would look white in the sun. . The shock of the moment stopped my tears.

“Thank-you.” I said shyly.

Uncle Remus came up behind me and pulled me to him quickly. “Hello, that’s quite a beautiful girl you’ve got.” The blond man said, with a smile on his face that revealed a bunch of crooked teeth.

“Thank-you, but she’s not mine. I’m just taking care of her for a friend.” Uncle Remus nodded, appreciatively.

“Remus let’s go!” Molly barked, as she wrestled with Ginny and Ron.

“Well we really must be off.” Uncle Remus put his hand out to shake the man’s hand but the man never took it.

As Uncle Remus walked away with a look of hurt on his face as the door closed behind us I caught a last glance at the man and the look of pure hate and disgust was frightening.