Finding the Truth

1983- Kidnapping

August 31st 1983

Remus placed Katie gently on her bed. “Are you excited about your birthday tomorrow?”
Remus asked as he tucked her in.

“Yes daddy, can I have an ice cream cake?” Katie asked.

“What do you say?” Remus teased.

“Please?” She asked, her tiny hands rung her blanket worriedly.

“Of course you can, but remember what we talked about?” Remus asked, pretty sure he knew the answer.

“No.” she shook her tiny head. Her hair stuck to her face from her bath.

Remus brushed her hair away from her face. “Remember how we talked about how you should call me Uncle Remus or Lupin.”

“Why?” Her blue eyes pierced his brown ones.

“You’re a big girl now Katie, almost three years old and you should know that though I love you very much and I will always be here to take care of you. I’m not your dad.” Remus said carefully.

“Oh.” She said simply

“Do you understand?” He asked unsure.

“Yes.”

“Ok, I love you. Sleep tight.” Remus said while giving her a kiss on the forehead.

“I love you too.” Remus smiled and crossed to the door.

“Lupin?” Katie called as he closed the door.

“Yes,” Remus opened the door slowly; afraid of the question she would ask.

“Can I have a pony on my cake?” She asked quickly.

Remus chuckled quietly, “Yes of course you can, now go to sleep please.” Remus closed the door.

“Lupin?” Katie called again.

Sighing, Remus opened the door again, “Yes.”

“Can I have a real pony?” She asked, her huge eyes pleaded his.

Remus openly laughed, “No, sorry but we can’t afford a pony right now.”

“Maybe someday?”

“Maybe sweetie.” He said regrettably. “Now go to sleep please, I don’t want to have to come back in here.”

“Ok, Lupin.” She nodded and closed her eyes. She heard the door close as she lay there pretending to sleep but really thinking about her cake and the party she would have tomorrow.

Tap, tap, tap. Katie heard a strange noise and opened her eyes to see rain falling outside. Relieved she closed her eyes again. As she drifted off to sleep, she heard it again. Tap,tap, tap. She opened her eyes to see a man crouching outside her window. He waved to her to come over.

She pushed the covers back slowly, “Lupin!” She yelled quickly. The man quickly dashed out of sight.

“Lupin!” Katie yelled again.

Remus opened the door and said sternly, “Katie, what did I say? It’s bed time.”

“There’s a man outside my window.” She said quickly, the fear making her voice quiver.

“Katie, that’s enough now. I know you’re really excited about your party but it’s time for sleep.” Remus said sternly, as he closed the door.

When the door was closed, Katie turned to the window to see if the man was still there. Seeing it was empty, she climbing out of bed slowly and tip toed to the window. When she was close enough to reach out and touch the glass, the window started to rise on its own. As a crack of thunder exploded in the sky, the window whipped open and three men came through.

Katie ran to the door and since she was too small to reach the doorknob, she pounded on the door and screamed, “Lupin! Remus!”

Two hand gripped her from behind and dragged her from the door, just as Remus came busting through the door. “Katie!”

The other two men charged at him, summoning all of his strength Lupin threw one of them through the wall. The glass shattered around them and the other man gripped Lupin from behind and threw him through the wall into his living room. Remus felt the bricks from his fireplace crack his ribs and was very aware of the piece of timber sticking out of his leg.

“Dad!” Katie yelled.

Blue eyes pierced his as he watched his daughter disappear through the hole in the wall.

Remus dug his fingers into his floor and tried to drag himself across the floor but suddenly he was whipped onto his back. The last thing he remembered was looking into the eyes of Fenrir Greyback and watching his fist draw closer.

“Don’t worry, we’ll take good care of her.”