Finding the Truth

Lies

Rowle leaned against the door frame of Adrianna’s bedroom, silently watching her read.

“Anna, can I come in?” He asked.

She turned her head to smile at him, her blue eyes shining in the afternoon sun seeping through her windows. “Of course, dad.” She gently folded the corner of her book and placed it on her end table.

He slowly entered her room; set two packages wrapped in brown paper on the end of her bed and sat down in a purple arm chair sitting in the corner of her room. “I got your books, robes and supplies from Diagon Alley, their classes are different than what your used too.”

“Are you all right, you’ve been acting weird for the last couple days?” She asked while shifting to the end of the bed so she could sit in front of him.

“I got a letter from an old friend that got me worried but everything’s fine now.” He said while leaning back in his chair. If he distanced himself from her maybe she wouldn’t read the lies coming out of his mouth.

“Is that why you wanted me closer because you were afraid of this friend?” She teased, worriedly.

“Yes.” He said simply, “He was dangerous man, Anna.” He added grimly.

“Was?” she gave him a skeptical look. “What happened to him?”

“Your mother gave you to me to protect you from him. He’s actually your real uncle.” He explained.

“Wait, my mother gave me to you? Are you even my real father?” She asked, slightly hysterical.

“No, not really- “He began.

“Not really? You either you are or you aren’t?” She said getting up, a look of anger on her face.

“No, I’m not.” He admitted, grimly. He winced afraid of what her reaction might be.

“Are we even actually related?” She asked, her hands filling the air between them.

“Well since we’re pure-blooded, we’re all related one way or another but this man, the one who sent me the letter, is actually your mother’s brother.” He explained.

“Ok firstly, that’s just gross. We’re all related so we’re sleeping with our cousins?” She asked getting up and crossing to sit on the window sill, the farthest distance away from him.

“It’s detrimental to our survival.” He got standing up; he hadn’t expected the conversation to go this way. Now that it had, he needed to make her understand. “There’s nothing more important than making sure that our blood line remains untainted.”

“Untainted? What does that mean exactly?” She asked, crossing her arms across her chest.

“You are not, under any circumstances, to associate yourself with muggles, muggle-borns or-“He stopped quickly, this conversation was moving into dangerous territory.

“Or what?” She asked, her eyes turning a steel blue of un-trusting and cold.

“Half-breeds.” He finished, barely louder than a whisper.

“Half-breeds?”

“Trolls, centaurs, giants…. Werewolves.” He explained. “Disgusting, vile, creatures. I forbid you to have anything to do with them.”

“You forbid me?! You can’t forbid me, you’re not my father.” She yelled. Before he could retort she continued, “Is that why you’ve kept me isolated here for 14 years so I couldn’t talk to muggles?”

“Yes and Durmstrang only lets pure-blood wizards in. Which is why I wanted you to go there in the first place? “He yelled.

“So why change now? We were happy living the way we were?” She asked, calming down. Her voice laced with sadness. “Weren’t we?” She raised her head to look him in the eye.

“Durmstrang is great but, until I’m sure about your uncle, you should be kept close. Dumbledore is a muggle-loving, crack pot, old man but there’s nowhere safer then Hogwarts and that’s the most important thing right now.” He explained, quietly.

He turned to leave her room and standing in the doorframe, he spoke, “You should get packing, and we’ll be staying at the Leaky Cauldron tonight so we can get you to your train on time tomorrow.”

“Rowle,” He winced as he said her spoke his last name. “If you’re not my real father, then do you know who is?”

“Yes but you’ve had a lot to deal with tonight. We should talk about it another time.” He walked out of her room without another word.

“Great, so now I have no idea who I am.” Adrianna pulled her chest from out from under her bed and started piling in her books. When the last of her possessions was folded in, she reached for the packages on the bed and hauled them to the floor.

She ripped open the heavy packages taking out her anger, from the man who lied to her her whole life, on them. When she was finished throwing her supplies in her chest, she closed the lid and turned to walk out the door when a flash of yellow caught her eye.

There, lying on the floor was yellow envelope and quickly, she bent to pick it up. The Hogwarts crest gleamed back at her and she ripped it open. Reading quietly, she was surprised at its words.

Dear Ms. Prewett,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Enclosed you will find your school supply list plus your train ticket. The train will leave precisely 11 o’clock on the morning of September 1st. We look forward to seeing you there.

Signed:
Albus Dumbledore. Headmaster

She shook her head and glared in shock at the parchment, “Prewett?” She asked, quietly to herself.

“Anna, we have to go!” Rowle yelled from downstairs.

“Coming dad!” Damn. She thought as she hauled her chest from her room, taking one last look, she closed the door.