Finding the Truth

Friends

“So you’re not going to talk to me at all?” Rowle asked, as they walked along the platform of king’s cross station. Rowle pushed the cart holding Anna’s trunk along in front of him.

Anna said nothing and quickly glared at him, while brushing her brown hair out of her face, her skin gleamed against the black fabric of her jacket.

They stopped in front of the platform 9 and 10, “What would you like me to say, Anna? I’m sorry, we’ll I’m not. I did what I did to protect you.” He grabbed hold of her shoulder and turned her to look at him.

“Protect me?” She asked skeptically, “You kept me from having a life of my own; you trapped me on an island for 14 years; you never let me have any friends, to protect me?!” She asked; her voice rose with each point. “You changed my name to protect me?!”

He looked around quickly as people were starting to stare. “As hard as it is to believe right now, yes I did.” He whispered.

She opened her mouth to retort, “Excuse me?” Her head snapped to the right to see a girl with brown, bushy hair with people who she could only assume were her parents. “May we get by?”

Anna stood aside quickly and watched with resentment as the girl hugged her parents and ran through the brick wall behind them. “Well, that’s just cool.” Anna said, with amazement. She grabbed her cart quickly from Rowle, and directed it toward the wall. “Good-bye, Rowle.” She said, coldly.

With that final good-bye, she ran at the wall and disappeared through it to appear on the platform in front of a gleaming red train with Hogwarts Express written on the front. She wandered along the platform just taking in the wonder. She tried to haul her trunk onto the train but it kept falling over.

On the third try, the bottom of the trunk was seized by a boy with blond hair and gorgeous blue eyes. “Need some help?” He asked with amusement in his voice.

She chuckled lightly, “Yes please, I was just about to throw it onto the tracks. Why don’t they have people to help with these things?”

“Well, then us guys wouldn’t have an opening to talk to the pretty girls?” He said as he hauled his trunk onto the train beside her. He held his hand out for her to shake, “My name is Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. Would you do me the honour of sitting with me?”

“I would love too,” she said with a smile and turned to walk down the hall. She opened the first compartment door and found it was empty so she dragged her trunk inside.

“Do you have a name?” He asked, as he helped her haul her trunk onto the overheard storage.

“Adrianna but my friends call me Anna,” She said, as she sat down taking a book out of her bag.

He sat down across from her and smiled at her, “Would you consider me a friend, Anna?”

“It’s too soon to tell?” She said coyly, disappearing behind her book.

“So where are you from?” Draco tried to make small talk.

Her answer was cut off by a wiry girl with short black hair and green eyes. Her face was squished in like a pug. “Draco I’ve been looking all over for you!” Her voice was high, whiny, and made my skin crawl.

“I’ve been here the whole time.” He said, leaning forward, with a slight edge to his voice.

“Who’s this?” She asked, turned to scowl at Anna.

“Adrianna, I just transferred.” Anna explained, not taking her eyes off her book.

“Transferred from where?” She asked as we felt the train pull away from the station.

“Excuse me.” Anna said, getting up and walking out the door.

She pushed through the kids crowding the hall; suddenly she felt sick and rushed toward the bathroom. She pushed open the first stall she could find and emptied the contents of her stomach. “Hello? Are you alright?” Anna brushed away the few regrettable tears that had escaped her eyes.

She opened the door to see the same bushy haired girl from before. “Yes, I’m fine thank-you.”
Suddenly, feeling weak, she leaned against the door frame of the stall. “Just a hard couple days is all.”

“Was that your father you were fighting with at the station?” She asked as the girl lead her out of the bathroom and back into the hall, which was empty now since everyone had found seats.

“No, he’s not.” Anna felt like her head was exploding. He’s just some guy I’ve lived with for 14 years and lied to me my whole life. Anna thought to herself.

“Why don’t you come and sit with me and my friends. My name’s Hermione by the way.” Hermione lead her into the compartment across the hall.

When she pulled open the door, Anna saw four smiling faces staring back at her. “Hello,” She said, shyly.

Hermione closed the door behind them and sat down between a small red- headed boy with a long nose littered with freckles and a black haired boy with bright green eyes and a lightening shaped scar on his forehead. “This is Ron Weasley,” Hermione pointed at the red head boy next to her. “His brother’s Fred and George.” Hermione nodded at the twin boys sitting across from her.

“Hello, why don’t you have a seat?” They both said to her, as she was still standing awkwardly by the door. Anna had no problem believing they were all related, Ron could have been there triplet despite the fact that he was a few inches shorter, they all had shaggy red hair and long noses with freckles.

She sat down next to them and smiled. “Hi.”

“And this is Harry Potter.” Hermione nodded to the dark haired boy sitting next to her. He looked at her with almost bored expression, shock registered in his eyes almost as quickly as he searched her face.

“What?” She asked, with annoyed amusement.

“You have no idea who I am, do you?” They all looked at her.

“Should I?” She asked, quickly, feeling stupider the longer they looked at her.

“Are you a first year? I’ve never seen you before.” One of the twins asked her.

“No, I went to the Durmstrang for the first three years and then my uncle decided it would be best if I was closer to home this year. So here I am.” She explained.

“Is that who you were fighting with when I interrupted?” Hermione asked, leaning forward with concern.

Suddenly, all the hurt feelings Anna had been feeling over the past few days cause her words to bubble over, “Yes, and the worst part is he’s not even my uncle. We aren’t even related, I have spent my entire life thinking that this man is my father. I found out yesterday, my name isn’t even my name, I don’t know.” Anna stopped quickly and hid her face in her hands. She couldn’t bear to see the looks on their faces.

Suddenly, she felt arms wrap around her and face shot up to have her vision blocked my brown bushy hair. She returned her embrace and apologized, “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to burden you with my problems but you’re just so nice. I couldn’t help it.” She whipped the tears from her face.

“Have you met anyone else yet?” Hermione asked pulling away from her and sitting back down in the seat across from her.

“Oh, this horrid Pansy girl and Draco Malfoy, he invited me to sit with him after helping me with my trunk and then she came in and was incredibly snobbish.” They chuckled when she said this and the look of disgust on their face when she mentioned Malfoy’s name was unmistakeable.

“She started asking me questions and I started to feel like I was suffocating. I thought it was because I had been alone for so long that it was weird to be with people but I feel perfectly all right sitting here with you.” She smiled at them.

“You’ve got good instincts. The Malfoy’s are a horrible family. They believe that pure-blood statue is the most important thing in the world and they’ll hate anyone who isn’t.” George explained.

They felt the train start to slow and Hermione jumped up, “Oh my goodness, we can’t be there yet! We haven’t changed yet!”

Anna chuckled at her gusto, “Oh man, I need to go get my trunk I left it in Malfoy’s compartment.” She got up quickly, “I’ll see you inside after I change.”

“Nonsense, we’ll wait for you on the platform you can share a carriage with us.” Hermione said, as she followed Anna out into the hallway.

“You are a wonderfully kind person Hermione, thank-you.” Anna said, gratefully.

“Anytime. Good luck in the lion’s den.” She said, as they parted ways.

Anna chuckled as she made her way down the hallway and regrettably pulled open the compartment door. Five sets of eyes turned to look at her and she silently grabbed the trunk out of the over-head compartment.

As she turned to walk out the door, Draco said, “Anna, where have you been?”

“Oh yes, your sullenness was greatly missed,” Pansy added cruelly, the two giant boys next to her joined in her laughter.

The dark skinned boy sitting across from her commented, “Although, her beauty would have livened up this place a bit.” He gave her a malicious smile.

His comment made her skin crawl as did the look in his eye as he said it, “Actually my name is
Adrianna, and I suggest you use it.” She said cruelly, as she walked out the door, she didn’t miss the look of shock and hurt on his face and felt a little bad that she had judged him so quickly. “You have a year to change my mind.” She added, as she closed the door.