Status: Completed

Kill Me Softly

Bittersweet Goodbyes

Two days went by quicker than I ever imagined them to. I looked over at Andy. He knew that I was nervous about getting turned. I actually was so nervous that I bit my nails all the way down to where I couldn't bite them anymore. We already had the few supplies that we need hidden upstairs in my room. The knife and a piece of my mom's glassware was hidden in a drawer. "Ashes are you alright?" Andy said staring at me with worried eyes. "Y-yeah," I stuttered staring at him and biting my lip. Tonight is when he's going to turn me. This afternoon I'm spending as long as I can with my mom, just to show her how much she's meant to me the past eighteen years. Andy wrapped his arm around his shoulder as tears started to well up in my eyes. "Ashes, everything is going to be alright," he whispered into the crook of my neck. I nodded my head and wiped the tears from my eyes quickly. We sat there in silence for what seemed like hours and that's when there was a knock at my door. I sat up staright because I knew my mom couldn't see Andy and right now I was kind of leaning on him. "Come in," I said and she walked in. "Ashley are you okay?" she asked staring at me. "Yeah, what makes you ask that?" I said staring at her. "You've seemed depressed the past couple of day. I know the anniversary of the accident is coming up and I know you're getting teased more than ever at school." She said shaking her hand and sitting in the chair across from me. Andy looked up when she said the last sentence. "I've just been having a rough week..." I lied. "Well how about we go to dinner tonight, just you and me." she said standing up and walking over to me. "Okay," I said and I grabbed my hoodie off the back of one of the chairs. Mom had already went downstairs and I looked at Andy and said, "When I get back... Turn me when we get back..." He nodded his head and whispered, "Enjoy every last second of your human life with your mom..." I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes again as I nodded my head. "I love you, Andy," I whispered giving him a quick kiss. "I love you too, Ashes," he said. Slowly I made my way towards the door. This is my last day as a human....

I sat at the table with my mom waiting for our waitress to bring our food. My mom took a sip of her tea and she looked at me and said, "So have you found anyone that you might like?" I know she was asking if I have a boyfriend... or a girlfriend because she can't believe the fact that I'm gay. "Well there's this guy..." I trailed off thinking about Andy. "What is his name?" "D-Dennis," I said quickly lying by using Andy's middle name. "That's a unique name..." she said staring off into space and thinking to herself. I just nodded my head and took a sip of my drink. "So when do I get to meet him?" I felt a lump rise up in my throat and I quickly swallowed the feeling down. "Soon..." I trailed off my eyes staring elsewhere. "Ashley, are you okay?" she asked looking at me. "I just have something in my eye." I said standing up and walking to the bathroom. I quickly blinked away the tears once I had locked myself in there. "Ashley stay strong..." I mumbled to myself. I stood there for a few minutes trying to get myself straightened out and then I walked back outside where my mom was waiting for me. "Did you get it out?" she asked. "Y-yeah," I said looking at the floor and sitting down. We didn't talk that much after that...

The ride home was mostly quiet. Mom looked over at me every now and then just to make sure I wasn't flipping out. She knows I hate being in cars. "M-mom..." I trailed off and she looked glanced over at me for a second and said, "What, Ashley?" "Thanks for taking me to dinner. I love you," I said feeling the tears well up in my eyes once more. I quickly blinked them away. She looked over at me and she said, "I love you too, Ashley." A smile had formed on her lips. That was a rare sight from her ever since my father had left. We didn't speak another word to each other. When I got home Andy was sitting on the couch with a book in his hands. My mom didn't notice him. I started walking upstairs and he followed after me. "Are you sure you want this, Ashley?" he asked staring at me with worried blue eyes. "Just do it, Andy..." I said and he pressed his lips to mine.