Sequel: Broken Mirrors
Status: complete

She Will Be Loved

Anytime You Want

“Good morning.” Erik said to me the moment my eyes opened.
I had fallen asleep on the couch last night. Erik and I were watching movies and I laid down next to him while he sat up. I decided to use his lap for a pillow during the last half of our second movie.
“Too bad you didn’t see the end. It was a killer twist.” He was smiling. I smiled back. He sat in the loveseat next to the couch.
“I guess we’ll have to watch it again tonight.”
“That’s not fair.” Erik whined playfully. He came over to the couch and crouched down next to me.
“Too bad.” My words came out snotty and I stuck my tongue out at him. We laughed for about the millionth time since I’ve been here.
“Whatever, anything for you.” I felt like crying. But not because I was sad, I was actually happy. Really, really happy. Unusual, but true. I had never in my life felt more alive than when I’m here with Erik or his friends. “So what do you want to do today?”
“Let’s start with getting some food in these tummies.” He chuckled. We raced to the refrigerator. I beat him as usual. He stood beside me as we both peered into the fridge. I moved out of the way and left him standing there staring inside the white box of coldness. I checked one of the top cupboards. I found it! Our prized meal. “Waffles?” I held up the box of waffle mix and he glowed.
“You read my mind.” We raced around the kitchen getting everything we needed to make waffles. While I got the measuring cups and filled them with water, he was silent. “Hey Joslin.”
“Hmm?” Was all I managed to get out when I turned my head and puff! Waffle mix EVERYWHERE! On my face at least. I squealed and wiped my eyes. I reached into the bowl of mix and threw some at him too, except it landed in his hair and a little on his forehead and nose. He laughed. Since I stood in front of the bowl of mix now, he reached his arms around me and scooped up handfuls of mix. Suddenly my hair was being attacked by powder.
“No!! Erikk!!” I squeaked. We were laughing so hard again. He was still behind me and he linked his hands together and squeezed me tight. He lifted me up seemingly without any effort. I was having a blast, and I felt tall. “I’m taller than you!” I taunted. His cherished laugh echoed throughout the kitchen. He set me down, and I turned around. I looked at him and he was holding me.
Sometimes it seemed like he wanted to be more than just friends, sometimes I felt that way. He was my best friend though… I couldn’t be falling for him. I met him only about two weeks ago. We had a lot of moments where it seemed like he was going to kiss me. Sometimes, I wish he had. I should forget it. I should move on and find someone else. There’s really only two more months of summer left, maybe I could enroll in a different school?
“We should get cleaned up.” It came out soft, and he was still holding me, still smiling.
“Yeah. I’ll take the downstairs bathroom.” He released me, no matter how bad I wanted him to stay, I let him go too. I trailed of up the stairs and into the bathroom. I got ready and turned on the water. After the water warmed up a bit, I stepped into the shower. I felt the droplets of water bead down on me and drip down my skin. It washed away all my cover up and I saw that my bruises were finally almost healed. A new beginning. That’s what I had, and Erik had never disappointed me. He’s always been there, ever since that first day we met. He’s been there. He said last night, “I promise I’ll never leave you. I’ll be right here waiting for your word and I’ll come running anytime you want.” After washing all the mix off, I stood in the shower for ten more minutes. I got out and dried off. I rubbed my head with a towel until it stopped dripping. I changed clothes, but refused to go even down the stairs without my converse. Erik was at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me. His hair was wet too. His hair gets a little curly when wet. It’s cute.
“So Joslin… I have something to ask you.” He seemed nervous. Hesitant even.
“Yeah?”
“James said you and him talked about some things. He wanted to know if you’d like to go move in with them… not that I want you to leave… but yeah. He said he and Lizzy talked about it and they really want you to come live with them.” Wow. This was… unexpected. I was happy, but I was sad. I mean, we’ve been so close! James, Liz, and I, I mean. How can I say no? But I really don’t want to leave… I mean… Erik’s my best friend and we’ve grown so used to each other already. I was about to give him my answer when the doorbell rang.
“Hold that thought. I’ll get it.” I walked past Erik and to the door, I could feel his eyes on me. I wondered why he was watching me. To my dismay, I opened the door and dread filled my heart. How did she know?
“What the hell Joslin! This is where you’ve been!?”
“What are you doing here and how did you find me!?” I screamed in her face. I can’t believe this is happening. I thought it was impossible. I’ve only left the house twice since I got here.
“I thought I saw you at the beach and I followed you until you turned off onto this road. What the hell were you thinking!! I’m losing a lot of money now because of you!”
“Excuse me, but who the fuck are you?”
“That’s Allison.” I managed to say calmly to him. Then she started me up again.
“Who are you calling Allison! I’m her mother!”
“Yeah right! You aren’t my mother! You never were! You treated me like shit for eleven years and have used me for seven!” It was all coming out.
“Come on. We’re going home!” She grabbed onto my wrist, hard. Harder than she ever had.
“I’m not going ANYWHERE with you!!”
“Oh yeah?!?!” She tightened her grip.
“Ow, ow, OWW! Let go! You’re hurting me!!!”
“Oh wah, wah, wah! Go cry to your little friend you whiney little baby!” She started pulling me through the open door.
“ERIK! ERIK NO! DON’T LET HER TAKE ME!!!!” I screamed in true horror. I started to sob. “HELP!!” I let out a choking cry and hysterics of “please.” Erik didn’t say anything. My eyes were burning and my sight was blurry and my face felt wet. I knew how hard I was crying. Suddenly I felt Allison let go and shout at him.
“What the hell do you think you’re doing!?” She was away from me and I still couldn’t see. I felt arms around me and holding me tightly without hurting me. Erik. Thank you. His hands were on my shoulder blades, and mine were on his chest right below my face. I dissolved into a wailing cry as if all the bones in my body were breaking slowly all at once.
“GET OUT! OR I’LL CALL THE COPS!!” I heard Erik shout at the top of his lungs.
“FINE!! But if she isn’t home in the next week then I’m calling the cops and having you arrested for abduction!!” she slammed the door and I turned my head towards the door, still crying.
“You don’t even care! You only want me so you can get your damn money!” I turned back into Erik’s arms.
We were sitting on the couch in the living room. We were starting the movie that I didn’t get to see the rest of. I was laying down the same way I was last night, head on his lap, arms tucked against my chest, and my legs pulled up. He stroked my hair a little at first, then simply rested his hand on my upper neck and below my ear.
“No.”
“What?” Erik asked, looking down at me confused. I turned over so I was on my back and he could see my face.
“I’m not moving. Not for a while anyway.” His brown eyes melted, but still seemed puzzled by something.
“Why? I thought you liked James and Lizzy.” I stared into his precious face. I think he understood as well as I did why I wouldn’t move. But I said it anyway.
“I do. They’re awesome! But…” I looked away for a split second, and turned my head back because I couldn’t stand to look away.
“But what?” pause for hesitation on my part.
“They’re awesome, but they aren’t you.” He lit up at my words.
“I’m glad you aren’t leaving.” The smile that touched his lips resembled the smile of an angel. He was my angel.
“Why? I said I wouldn’t leave.”
“Well for one, I know you said you wouldn’t but still. It’s good to know you won’t. Two, I’d miss you so much I think I’d have to start stalking you.” I burst out into laughter.
“Honestly I wouldn’t mind that. So long as you didn’t hide.
“Really?” His grin stretched from ear to ear and I saw his adorable dimples that make me melt!
“Really. I wouldn’t mind living here for the rest of my life. As long as you’re around, I’ll be here. And hopefully so will you.” I turned back over and turned my attention back to the movie.
“Anytime you want.” I closed my eyes, and a smile stretched across my face, from ear to ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
so here's one of the more interesting parts of the book. Hope it's keeping you interested. I'm trying. It's getting a little more difficult but surely more worth it (at least on my part. hopefully yours too but idk you have to comment to tell me). Love you all. :)