Camp Koradel

Chapter Ten

“Gracious, Scott, you really pushed yourself today, didn’t you?” Chris was about 28 or so, a good-looking guy for his age, and his eyes were questioning the 17 year old boy in front of him.

Scott was busy chugging a bottle of water, so it was a moment before he said, “I guess. Have I improved?”

“Quite a bit,” the boys’ camp leader said, looking at a packet of papers. “Last Friday, you ran your mile in eight minutes and thirty two seconds; this week you ran it in seven minutes and forty five seconds. Your push-ups went from thirty to forty two; your pull ups went from nine to fourteen. Now, it’s normal to excel in one department of physical exercise, but you improved in all. Is this the first week you’ve actually tried?”

His results actually shocked Scott. “No, sir, I guess I just tried harder all week in training as well as for tests today.”

“Well, keep it up Scott, and I won’t be surprised if you continue to improve.”

“Alright; thanks, Chris.”

He made his way to the group of campers. It was almost just as it had been over a month ago, especially since Roy was a bit less shy without Erin around. Charley and Charles (what awkward naming for a couple) were semi-alone in the corner of the big living room of the girls’ camp. Anna, Paige, Sabrina, Roy, and Brad were in a big group in the dining room, and that’s where Scott was heading.

“Hey, guys,” he said casually, but of course he noticed the way the three girls made googley eyes at him.

“Hey,” Sabrina said, and she was the only one who didn’t try to hide her admiration for him around others. For this, he didn’t much enjoy being around her so much.

“Hey,” Paige said, and Scott smiled genuinely at her. She was probably one of his favorite people at Camp Koradel, except that she thought he felt differently, and if she talked too much, his head began to ache. “Can we talk?”

“Of course,” he answered softly, though he really didn’t particularly want to. It wasn’t that there was anything wrong with her, but he knew she went and told Sabrina everything they discussed, so he had to be careful about what he said. They walked together, away from the group and outside onto the front porch. “So, what’s up?”

“You like Sophie.”

It wasn’t a question, but he answered, “Yes, a little bit.”

“You met this girl, like, two days ago, Scott. You need a day to like her but I can’t get you in, like, three months?”

“Paige. I like you. I like both of you, but—”

“But you like me as a friend, and you like her more.” She wasn’t being rude or bitter, really; she was just upset. Her big brown eyes were focused on the wooden porch floor, and her short blonde hair looked perfect as usual.

“You’re correct,” he admitted with a sigh. “I’m sorry Paige, I can’t help it.”

“I just— I thought something was forming between us. I thought we were, like, different than just normal friends.”

“We are; you’re my best friend here.”

“Why do you, like, think that’s enough for me? I like you, Scott. I, like, don’t stop thinking about you. Not when we’re training, not when everyone’s just hanging out, and not even when you were alone with Sophie. I just kept thinking, he’s just welcoming her; don’t worry about it. But I had to worry, and I, like, had to tell myself like a million times to get over you… But I can’t.”

He wasn’t sure what to say for a moment. “Yes, you can.” He finally said quietly.

“Let’s just go back inside and pretend nothing happened.”

“I know you don’t want that, Paige.”

She sighed. “It doesn’t matter what I want. Now come on.”

He wanted to tell her it did matter, that she was a great person, or anything else to cheer her up, but instead, he just followed silently through the front door of the cabin and back to the large group of teenagers.

“When are they supposed to be getting back?” Roy was asking as they stepped into the group.

“Oh, I can see the future. They’ll be here in about an hour.”

Roy glared at Scott. “You sarcastic dumbass, I was just curious.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Scott said and burst into laughter. “I just know you weren’t randomly curious. You wish they were back right now.”

“Oh don’t pretend you don’t, too.”

A couple of the guys laughed as blood rushed into Scott’s cheeks, but the three girls just glared at Roy. Scott hated that. More than anything, he hated that these girls liked him because of his looks. Most guys, he guessed, would be proud of it, but it was actually exhausting and agitating.

“We can all tell, man.” Brad was the speaker this time, and Scott shot him a death glare.

“Traitor.”

Brad shrugged. “Who ever said I was on your side to begin with?”

“Not me, that’s for sure,” Erin said, suddenly popping out of nowhere.

“Hey,” Scott almost yelled. “When did you get here?”

“Like two minutes ago; calm down, Scott. Your girl’s on the front porch.”

He grunted. “She is not my— whatever.” She was giggling as he stopped speaking and started heading outside.

“—should have thought about that beforehand,” Scott heard Sophie saying angrily when he opened the door to the front porch.

She and her camp leader whose name he could hardly remember turned their furious expressions to him, and he stepped back a little. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“No,” he said, and Scott remembered that his name was Galvin. “It’s alright; I was just leaving.” He stomped across the porch and walked around Scott to enter the cabin. Scott closed the door behind him and began making his way towards Sophie, who was focusing her dark eyes far off into the distance.

He sat in a rocking chair to her right, but remained silent, staring off the edge of the deck in the same general direction as her. There was a small creek back there, he remembered suddenly, and he smiled. Paige had found it with him.

For the next few minutes, they sat in silence, and he heard her breathing slow down; he hadn’t even realized she’d been taking such heavy breaths. “Is everything alright?”

“We can pretend it is,” she answered quietly, her eyes remaining off in the distance.

“Would you like to take a walk?”

Nodding, she stood, and he mimicked, and they both left the porch. “Where are we going?”

He shrugged, but he really did know. They entered the forest, and continued walking until Sophie said, “Did your camp leader tell you guys about Galvin’s accident?”

“No, but I thought I heard Sabrina say something about it.”

“Well, he ran into someone at night. It was raining really hard and she ran out into the middle of the street.” Sophie looked at Scott to see his dark eyes were wide. “He killed a good friend of mine. It wasn’t his fault at all, but he still killed her.”

Scott pulled her into him. There was no need for words. All he did was hold her for a few minutes, and she lifted her head from his shoulder to look at him. Close up, he could see small gold flecks in her brown irises. Slowly, he bent his head down, but she did the same, placing her forehead back onto his shoulder. He was surprised, but not hurt.

Too soon, she stumbled away from him and continued walking the way they had been going.

“There’s a creek back here,” he muttered, unleashing his special ability to make things awkward and then make it normal again.

“Oh, really? Where?”

He hurried in front of her, leading her in the direction of the creek. “I’ve only been back here with Paige before, but I thought about coming Tuesday when we went out into the woods.” It was small, but definitely there.

When she saw it, Sophie smiled and bent down to pull off her socks and sneakers. She then placed her feet in the shallow water and sat on the rocks beside it. Looking up at a still-standing Scott, Sophie patted the rock beside her, and he chuckled. He walked over to her and sat next to her, and for a while, there were only the peaceful sounds of the river and the melodic chirping of the birds.

“Can I ask you something, Sophie?”

“Of course,” she answered immediately, but just as quick as she had responded, she regretted it.

“Did your father abuse you?”

She hesitated, concentrating solely on the flowers to her left side, that way she didn’t even have to look towards him. After a moment, though, she sighed, and said, “Why would you think that?”

“Because, well, I saw your arm and I sort of inferred that it was something about home... And you said you only lived with your dad, so I just kind of thought he might be the reason you’d…” He paused, unsure of a non-offensive word to use.

“Mutilate myself,” she offered, grinning at him. He chuckled again, softly and looking very handsome as he did. “Yes, he did.”

He simply nodded and smiled sadly. “Don’t say anything,” she ordered suddenly. “I don’t want apologies. Ever.” Nodding again, he looked down at the creek. Even though she said no apologies, he couldn’t help thinking how terrible that had to have been. He truly felt sorry for her, but in saying that he would have felt guilty.

“Okay, since I can’t say I’m sorry, can I just say that I can’t imagine how that would feel?”

She smiled, playing with a little purple flower in the dirt. “I guess that’s okay. I can’t do anything about it now; I mean, I guess I could time travel back and warn you about that, but that might take some time first.”

He laughed, and randomly was compelled to ask, “What were you and Galvin talking about?”

“Personal things,” she said with widened eyes.

“I’m sorry—” She shot him a stern glare. “Sorry— Ah!” He sighed as she giggled. “I didn’t mean to be rude,” he said finally. “I was just curious.”

“Well, some things happened at the mall when we went to get our bathing suits. That’s pretty much what we were talking about…”

“What happened?”

“That and Madame Rosette found out about something on accident and he got really pissed off and took it out on me.”

His brow furrowed. “What would she have found out that would make him so angry?”

Once again hesitant, she continued playing with her little purple flower. His hand interceded, though, as he plucked it from the ground. She looked at him sadly until she saw what he was doing with it. He reached up and placed the thing behind her ear. Continuing to stare at him, she smiled, feeling younger in that innocent little moment.

It was so unexpected, so impetuous that when his lips left hers, Sophie could only stare in disbelief. “Why would you do that?” she asked after a prolonged pause. She wasn’t sure about her emotions then; they decided to scramble around without any order.

Scott couldn’t speak. He hadn’t even meant to kiss her. I’m sorry, he tried to say. She sounded angry, but he hoped she wasn’t and that it was just his imagination.

“That’s what Madame Rosette saw Galvin do.”

He choked. “Galvin kissed you!?” he finally found his voice and she scolded him for it.

“Don’t just scream it out like there’s no tomorrow! Yes,” she said more calmly, “he kissed me yesterday and Madame Rosette saw. It was just a kiss; it never happened.”

“Obviously, it did happen.”

Sophie sighed. “I know, but he told me to pretend nothing happened, but” — she took a deep breath — “I can’t do that. It’s difficult, Scott. I’m sorry to bring this up.”

“I asked.”

“But I didn’t have to tell you. You were going to be nice and not ask again, but I — I can’t do it, Scott. I can’t.”

“Shh,” he whispered into her ear, pulling her to him again. “I’m here; it’s okay. Everything is going to be alright.”

And in his arms for that moment, she thought there was a possibility that everything could be alright. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. You’re all I’m focused on right now, Sophie. Can you do the same?”

“Gladly,” she said, kissing him lightly on the lips once swiftly before nuzzling her head back into his shoulder.