‹ Prequel: Sluts in Love

Glitter, Guts, Glory

Lilac.

I don't know which I liked better, our wedding or the wedding night. When she said her family would take care of the plans, I had no idea what I was in for. Daisy's only orders for me were to "show up and look nice."

I met her on Christmas eve, we got engaged in July, and our wedding was in August. My parents didn't like how quick we were to get married. They knew each other for years before my dad finally proposed. But I told them, you don't know how I feel. Daisy is the one and this is just how her family does things. I had maybe twenty guests on my side. Just my immediate family, Ivy, Travis, and Gianna, and my good friend Theo and is wife Leanne. That's like, ten people right there. Two hundred and four people R.S.V.P.'d to Daisy's mother, Cecilia. More than five hundred people showed up at the reception. It didn't feel right to celebrate a wedding after what happened to Rose, but everyone assured me it was what she would have wanted.

I wasn't allowed to see Daisy for two days prior to the wedding. I was just told to show up at the church at noon and she'd be there. So I stood at the altar, dozens of pairs of eyes on me of people whom I didn't even know, and sweating because goddamn it was hot. Then the door opened, the organ started playing, and I seriously thought I'd died and gone to heaven. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

But the dress. Jesus. It was enormous and covered in jewels and white and fluffy. There were so many ruffles, she must have bought out the entire company that made them. The very hoop thing of the skirt was wider than the aisle. Baby Bruce brought her down the aisle and he was crying like well, a baby. But not Daisy. Her eyes were wide and her eyeshadow sparkled. And when we said "I do," I'd never been more sure of anything of my life. I finally got to kiss her on the lips too. And let me tell you, it was great. The reception, though noisy and sweaty and chaotic, was pretty great too. Even that night was more than great. Life was great. And for the first time since Rose died, I felt happy.