‹ Prequel: Sluts in Love

Glitter, Guts, Glory

Maple.

My family meeting Daisy's family was... interesting, to say the least. The Tyson family were their typical, sparkly, dolled up selves, while my family and I looked like we just came from church. And I haven't been to church in years.

"Good God," dad muttered after Baby Bruce gave him a giant hug. My dad has always been weirded out by people of the same sex touching each other. When Poppy and I were little and we had to have baths together, I always whined why I didn't have "nothing there" like Poppy and I guess that freaked dad out and he thought I'd end up as a trannie. I think he was relieved when I finally brought my first girlfriend home.

Baby Bruce gave mom a kiss on the cheek, which really wasn't helping his standing with dad. We were met with more hugs and kisses from Daisy's mom, her sister Karina, and her brothers Eddie and Tony. They already loved me, but it didn't take long for mom to win them over, especially since she let six year old Karina bling out her purse and high heels. Gianna took an immediate liking to Baby Bruce, who held her almost the entire evening, and besides, everyone likes cute little babies.

"Good God," Poppy said just low enough so I'd be able to hear. "Are they seriously playing charades?"

I shrug. "They're having fun." They went straight from dinner and countless glasses of wine to charades for dessert.

"It's a lave lamp, Paris!" my mom threw her newly sparkling shoe at dad. He ducked at the last second. "How in the world did you get Disney World out of that?"

"You said it was two words, woman," he flopped his hand at her. Rose had disappeared again shortly after dinner, and Ivy had taken Gianna home since it was past her bedtime. Violet snorted when dad tried to take a step, but fell flat on his ass.

"You know what you're getting yourself into, right?" she asked Daisy. Daisy laughed.

"I like your parents. They're funny."

"They're on some serious crack, that's what it is," Poppy remarked. I chuckled at that, but I don't know why I found it so funny. To me, she lowered her voice and asked, "Have you told them yet?" Daisy's cousin's party, the first time I met her family, she made me promise that I would marry her some day, so I said yes of course. Her parents knew we were somewhat engaged, but mine didn't. I had only told Poppy and probably would have told Rose, but she's always out with her pot head friends, probably terrorizing young kids.

I shake my head. "Not yet."

"Well, there's no time like the present, baby brother!" Poppy is only older than me by a minute and forty four seconds. She's never let me live it down. She taps a spoon against her wine glass and for a second I hope that it shatters so I would have more time. "Hey everyone, Leo here has an announcement." Everyone looks at me. We're sitting on our back patio and the sun is just starting to go down. I swallow nervously and take Daisy's hand.

"And Daisy is going to help me, with my announcement," I say. I could kill Poppy. I'd rather tell my parents in private and without looking like an idiot. Tony laughs at something Eddy says. "Mom, dad..." my parents scare the shit out of me. Daisy can probably, most definitely feel the sweat on my palm.

"Mrs and Mrs. D'Angelo," Daisy begins. She grins really wide. "We're getting married!" she squeals and jumps a little bit. I look only at the ground, but can feel the wide eyes of Violet, mom, and dad. Surprisingly, Baby Bruce and Cecilia don't say anything. They're gauging my parents' reaction as well. Violet's the first to break the silence.

"That's great, you guys," she hugs the both of us. "Congratulations."

"Thanks, Vi," I say. From over her shoulder I can see my father patting his pockets, looking for a light and a cig.