A Note From A Dead Man.

Chapter 4

If you look horrified I don’t blame you but answer me this. Is what I just did that much different to what your people do everyday in whatever War your kind are participating right now? I mean sure, I just took someone’s freedom away but I made her life better. A girl who couldn’t talk or hear anything around her could now use her own voice to talk to people. Imagine how she must feel! So yes. Although what I did was terrible, she’s better off for it.

Don’t do that. Don’t judge me. In my world, if there’s a fight, our Royalty lead us into battle. Your Royalty stand back and let their subjects fight for them. Why should your people fight when they don’t have a King or a Queen there to lead them into battle? The way your species functions is laughable. No wonder so many things go wrong with you all. And then you all insist on getting animals to keep as pets when you can’t even take care of yourselves. You make me physically sick.

Maple settled into her new life quite quickly. It turned out that we could have conversations through each others thoughts but only when she wanted to. She put up a shield when she wanted some privacy. That didn’t stop her from being able to hear mine though which frustrated her greatly, so I had her teach me how to shield my thoughts. The only difference between our shields is that she can break through mine whenever she wants to talk to me.

Her bloodlust was frequent and painful. She had to drink at least six times a week, depending on how much energy she used, sometimes more. I took this as an opportunity to teach her how to hunt, kill and hide the body after. She was a fast learner. At first hr victims were random but then she decided it was wrong to even kill homeless people or people with no families, people who wouldn’t be missed. So she fed off of bad people and animals. She was good at torture though, but only on the bad people never the animals, sometimes keeping them alive for days. She had more restraint than me. She didn’t like that I didn’t follow her morals but she didn’t do much about it. She was a lot like Ellen.

It was on October the third that we ran into a problem. It was her birthday. She was supposed to be sixteen years old. She wanted to be sixteen years old. But she couldn’t be. Her body stopped ageing the moment my blood fused with hers. Although she was technically sixteen, she would never be physically sixteen. She was forever trapped as a fifteen year old girl. It was difficult to explain to her, mainly because she didn’t want to hear it. But who can blame her? Would you want to be told that you would never grow up? That you would forever be stuck at an age that means nothing? Everyone wants to grow up and now, thanks to me, she can’t.

You’re doing it again. You’re judging me. Well stop it. It’s not like I wanted her to hate me. I didn’t feel anything for her but I didn’t want her to hate me. She was my companion after all. Sure she stayed around but it wasn’t the same. Not anymore. I often found her destroying things or watching other teenagers in envy but she never said anything. Well…never thought anything. Not to me anyway.

Look at you. Acting all high and mighty as if you’re better than me. You’re not. Which one of your parents confirmed that Santa wasn’t real? Admit it. You hated them slightly for it. But you got over it. So will Maple. In time. Until then I will let her vent. I will give her space. For as long as it takes.

Her torturing got longer, more horrific. She took five days to kill one man. He was a woman beater and a child murderer. On his last day he did nothing but beg us to kill him. I say us loosely. I let her do what she wanted to do to her victims but I always stayed in the room. Just incase anything went wrong. But that’s only happened twice. Maple is… no was…a very efficient killer. But this one was a work of art. She begun how I had, ripping out his nails and teeth, one by one. But then, not satisfied with his level of pain, she moved onto more detailed methods. She first dislocated, popped back in and then snapped every bone in his fingers, toes, hands, feet, wrists and ankles. She even waited for him to regain consciousness, after he passed out from the pain, before she continued. Then she re-set his bones and did it again. But no. That wasn’t the worst part. I had turned this previously innocent, young, scared girl into a monster.

If you are of a faint heart and are easily disturbed then skip this next page, or just stop reading. Either would be sufficient. Well? Have you made your decision? No? Well too late. My little monster sunk her fangs into his eyes. One by one. Inch by inch. It was excruciating to watch. She was ever so clever about it though. Never going far enough to actually blind him or injure his eye enough so he couldn’t see what she was doing to him, but enough so he could feel every little thing. I was beaming with pride as she ruined him.

On the final day I was already on the windowsill when she turned up. I couldn’t wait to see what she was going to do today. But I was disappointed. She strolled in, drank for two minutes, snapped his neck and left. I shook my head and pushed myself off of the windowsill to follow her. I was intrigued but all she did was saunter over to the couch and lie on it, one arm thrown over her eyes. I dared to ask what was up with her, why she suddenly decided to show mercy.

I didn’t like her answer.

What can I say? I felt bad for the guy.

She shrugged me off and shut me out of her head.

I sighed deeply and left. She was losing her touch. She was showing her human emotions. She couldn’t do that. She had to stop. As soon as we start to sympathise with you animals we begin to lose ourselves. We become more like you. And that I couldn’t have.

I had to do something. It had been a week. She hadn’t drank. She hadn’t left her room. I heard her cries occasionally. She was suffering. I couldn’t take it anymore. The stupidity of her was driving me mad. I had given her such an amazing gift only for her to waste it all because she felt bad for a Human. After hearing her begin to sob again, I stood to leave. Tonight was my hunting night.

Where are you going?

Her voice rang through my mind like a bell. I couldn’t ignore it. She was too strong.

Hunting.

I hoped she couldn’t hear me but at the same time knew she could. I wasn’t out of range. I didn’t have my shield up. Not that that would have made any difference.

Can I come?

Now this made me pause although I had no reason to. I mean, it’s not like it was an unusual request but, given her performance over the past few days, I did not expect to see her outside any time soon. I wouldn’t have even considered she would be anywhere near me within the month. But here she was, asking for my company. I couldn’t turn her down.

If you must.

I heard her door swing open and soon she was stood beside me, fully dressed, fully prepared. I nodded and she walked out in front of me.

Now, by now, you may have noticed that I have been referring to dear Maple as “she” a lot. Or maybe you haven’t. I had forgotten how stupid you Human’s really are. Well, either way, this is no coincidence or mistake. I don’t use her name that often because I do not want you to become attached. If you did you would get used to having her around. You silly Human’s are always making bonds to things that aren’t real or that aren’t actually in your life. So what makes this situation any different? Nothing. That’s what.

I don’t want you growing attached to my girl. Trust me, it’s better if you don’t. Then you’ll be less disappointed when she leaves me. What? You didn’t honestly expect that she’d stay around forever did you? Really? You did? Ha. Well, that’s your mistake. I did warn you at the very beginning that this would not be a nice story. So what would compel you to believe that she would stay around? Idiots.

Sometimes I wonder, if you’re stupid enough to forget the point of the story you’re only part way through reading, if there’s any point in you reading it at all. I mean seriously. What’s the point? You’ll only forget it sooner or later. But I do have one request. Make a Tweet or a Facebook Status or a Blog Entry or whatever it is you Human’s do now a days. It’s all equally ridiculous to me. But mention that you are reading this. Because if you forget before you send this on, like I had requested, then you’ll die in vain. Yes, it is too late to save yourself. No, you’re Watcher will not kill you quickly. This is treason. So enjoy your last moments while you can because, believe me, there won’t be many more.

Oh look at me getting side tracked again. To be honest it’s rather selfish of me. After all, there’s probably a load of my world people looking for me, in fact, they’re probably extremely close which means I‘m running out of time, and here I am going on about how you don’t deserve to know Maple and what dreadful people you all are. Although you probably already know that. After all, you are Human’s. It’s a bit hard to ignore your mistakes.

So where was I? Oh, right. me and Maple were just heading out. I made my biggest mistake here. Looking back now I realise that my next decision was the reason that she left me in the end. If I hadn’t done this she would have never know.

It was just after we had killed our meals for that night. We were quite happily drinking their life blood and relishing in the boost of energy it gave us when the thugs came. Well no, that’s not accurate enough. The truth if these people weren’t thugs. They were something much, much worse and something much, much more scary. Because these people knew exactly where to strike due to the fact that they knew exactly what we were. At first we just thought they were drunken idiots. Fools who thought they’d stumbled onto something fantastic.

But we were wrong. So very wrong.

The first sign was when one of them called us “bloodsuckers”. But I brushed that off. After all, they had just walked in on us drinking our meal’s blood. The second sign was when one of them pulled out a wooden stake. Perfectly carved. Perfectly deadly. The third and final sign was when he threw it and hit me straight in my left shoulder.

Now, to say this hurt would be an understatement of such a high velocity it would be described as immoral. This was more than just a bit of pain. This was as if my whole arm had been removed from my body one tiny fibre at a time. It was horrific. Suddenly I knew what every single one of my victims had felt. I did not envy them. But I did not pity them. That would be too human.

I could have given up, then and there, to a group of fifteen pathetic, little Human’s but when I looked over to Maple and saw the look of pure fear rushing through her I knew I couldn’t just lie there and let them kill me. So instead I stood up, dropped the body to the ground and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, smearing blood across most of my jaw. Then I looked up at the stunned expression on their stupid faces and smiled.

“Is that really all you’ve got?”

I remember the looks on their dumbstruck faces. I let them soak it all in for a little while then made my move. I snapped the neck of the first guy I got to and let him slump to the floor. I couldn’t be as creative as I had wanted due to the fact that they had pretty much obliterated my left shoulder but I tried to make it horrific enough that the others would understand. And they did. Very quickly actually.

It was when they started to run that Maple came to her senses. She was spectacular. She ripped out hearts, throats and intestines. She snapped legs, arms, backs and necks. She mutilated every single part of their body that they could. Watching her kill those Vampire Hunters made me realise that all my worries were for nothing. She wasn’t reverting back to her Human nature. She had merely grown bored of the poor boy. Nothing more. Right here, right now, was the girl I had created. The one that made their brains boil from inside their heads just by projecting a single tone into it. And finally, when the last body hit the ground, I felt something I hadn’t felt since Ellen had come into my life. I felt happiness. She was simply perfect.

I had created perfection.

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?”

My happiness was stripped away. That wasn’t a human’s voice. That was one of my own. I turned to find three beings stood at the entrance of the alleyway. It was then that I realised just how much trouble we were in. These weren’t ordinary beings like myself. These were Guardians. These were the Royal Guard. Which meant I had been summoned.

My arm hurt too much to protest as they escorted us away from the blood bath. Apparently they would have a cleaning team come and dispose of our mistake. They didn’t seem phased that the, now dead, bodies had previously been a team of Vampire Hunters. But they are the Guardians. They are expected to not show any emotion when faced with any circumstance. So this turn of events did not bother me. I can not say the same for dear Maple. The look of confusion stayed plastered on her face as she tried to communicate with me through my mind. But it wasn’t safe. They couldn’t know. Not yet.

We stopped outside a completely black building. There were windows but they were tinted with reflective darkness. Nothing could see either in nor out of those windows to the Human eye. But I knew better. I knew that on the other side there were dozens of eyes watching the outside world. Dozens of inhuman eyes. Watching. Waiting. Waiting for their time to come when they too could walk the Earth as freely as you Humans.

This was a club. No. This was our club. Such things are everywhere. Hidden in plain view but Human’s take no notice. There are a few who are unlucky enough to realise that it is a club. These people do not make it out again. Well they do. But never alive. But you cannot blame us. It is within our nature to kill. In every species. What you expect is never what you get. The fairies are the most blood thirsty. They thrive off of it although they take nothing from it. Where as we Vampires drink from you they just like the feel and the colour. It isn’t the fact that they need it, more the fact that they can do it. Power. They’re very Human.

The Guardian’s took us inside. No-one paid any attention towards us although Maple was obviously amazed. That was understandable. She had never seen another inhuman figure. But this was no time for socialising. This was a time for concentration. We were escorted into a back room. But this was more than a room. At a snap of his fingers the lead Guardian had revealed a lift. We were pushed into it roughly and the door was shut. From then onwards we were dragged beneath the surface and into the realms of the undead. The last time I had been in it’s presence was the day I was born and I had despised it since. Allowing myself to be brought here was weakness. Such weakness will not be tolerated.

The hall. In the hall I would make my move. I was close. So close. We were escorted into the large room. The soft “Swoosh” of the shutting doors behind me made me subject myself to a knowing smirk. One of pure hatred and disgust. The Guardian’s surrounded us while they waited for further instruction. I reached into the lapel of my jacket and pulled out the concealed dagger. I turned my head and licked my wound once. The saliva will help it heal. My blood will give me strength. The lead Guardian took a step towards me, noticing my movements, but it was all in vain. He was too late.

Using my left foot, I pushed myself into the air, landing as gracefully as a cat behind him. The ease. The simplicity. There was no need for a detailed kill. A mere slit of the throat was enough. The flesh parted, allowing way for his blood to pass through and onto the floor at my feet. As he fell to his knees, slumping forward, I pushed him at the feet of the others.

They came quickly and with force. But it was no use. The Guardian’s were good. Very good. In fact they were too good for me to handle myself. But I had my secret weapon. My little secret. And she just couldn’t bare to see me die. It took her fifteen seconds to destroy the other two Guardians. One fell to the floor, his brains leaking from his nose and ears, while the other was ripped to shreds. They were no match for her.

But we were no match for them.

I am not proud of what happened next. In fact I would rather merely not go into it but that would be breaking the rules. If you are to actually do anything to humiliate my kind you need to know it all. You need to know everything. Including the power the Royal’s have over us.

There were hundred’s of them. The Guardian’s flooded the hall and went for the kill. But we held out. We carried on destroying them. Me, out for vengeance. Maple, because she didn’t know any better. Such innocence. Such stupidity. When the numbers became too great I was happy with the amount I had destroyed to give up. I had made a big enough disadvantage of myself to permanently be known in my land. I was the rouge that fought back. The rogue that didn’t surrender.

I was finished.

I was satisfied.

Enough.”

Maple. But no. That wasn’t Maple. That wasn’t her voice. It was something else entirely. Something I never wanted to hear again. The voice came through my mind, breaking my barriers, and I knew it had hit the others as well. Much to my shame, I was forced to my knee and my right hand was pulled across to my heart. I was bowing. I was surrendering. To the one person I hated most of all.

I could hear the distain in my mind. It was layering her voice.

“What is this? Why is this taking so long?”

That voice. That hatred. That childishness.

The crowd parted, allowing the ball of destruction to flow through like a flame. Everyone was bowed. Everyone. It was against our will but we had to. We all had to. It was in our nature. No. It was in our genes. So when I noticed that there were two people still standing in the room my brain failed to accept it.

My girl. My girl. She was standing. It was her and the Queen. Standing. Waiting. One masked in confusion. The other masked in hatred. You see. My girl didn’t have our genes. My girl was handmade. She wasn’t a natural born. There was hope. There was a chance. We could still win.

The Queen was getting closer. The bodies were still shuffling. Desperately trying to move out of her way. But that made no difference. I looked to the ground a smirked. This was what I had wanted. I was young. I was naïve. I didn’t know the extent I could go to. The damage that I could do. But Maple gave me hope.

The room fell silent.

Now was the time for Judgement.

“I should have known.”

Pure hatred.

“Hello Mother.”

I rose and turned to face my Queen.

“Hello Dylan. What an unpleasant surprise.”

Now the games begin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. You have no idea just how much I've had to battle with this Chapter so I'm sorry if it doesn't meet your standards.

So yeah. The guy has a name. Sorry if you don't like it. But tough. That's his name!

Hope you like it. Stay tuned for more.

Comment
Subscribe
Recommend.

Emily.