Plain Jane

One

I’m an ordinary girl. A Plain Jane in every single way imaginable. There’s nothing special about me at all. I have an average life, average friends, average family, and that’s all there is to say. Except that I’m not head over heels with Average Joe; I’m in love with Popular Peter.

Despite having my walls covered with male celebrities that I adored, including my favourites of Orlando Bloom and Kennedy Brock from The Maine, they could never compare with Peter. Not their looks, not their fame, not their fortune, nothing. They weren’t Peter. He was all I wanted.

I feel like a typical teenage girl who is hopelessly in love with her crush, even though it will never go anywhere. I wish things were different, but a Plain Jane never has the courage to do much except for talk to Joe. There’s no way I could ever ask Peter out in the split second that he’s single for. Things will always be like that, no matter how much I hate it.

My closest friend is Joe. No surprises there. He’s a good guy, but only friend material. But I can talk to him about anything and everything.

“Joe, I really don’t know-” I began at lunch time near the start of a new school year. The climate was wonderful for an early autumn day, and we were enjoying the last of the good weather. It was our last year, and we were outside in the shade of a large tree that had been donated by a local farmer.

“What to do about Peter, I know,” he finished for me before biting into his sandwich. Of course. I forgot about his mind-reading abilities. Either that or I was far too predictable.

“This is the last year I get to spend with him. After that, I’m off to a college in a land far away, and he’s moving north to take that builder’s apprenticeship, so I should take advantage of this last year, right?” I asked with a huge frown.

“Hey! Don’t forget it’s the last year you have with me too!” Joe retorted playfully, making me giggle a bit.

“But you know we’ll always be friends, no matter what, and that includes distance,” I replied and he nodded, staring down at his sandwich again.

“Well, I dunno about Peter. You’ve liked him for so many years, and have been hinting for almost all that time, and I have no clue if he’ll ever realise,” he answered with a shrug. “I dunno, it’s like me and the girl I like. She seems to have no clue, no matter how clear I try to make it.” His eyes met mine, sadness filling them to the point where he had to be joking.

“Uhuh…” I muttered, looking away across the field and past a building to see the football field. Needless to say, Mr Popular was there, stealing the show once again. “I don’t think he realises how much he belongs with me… We’re not the same, but that’s what makes us so good together when we have to work together in class and when we chat. He just has no idea…”

“Go and tell him.”

“What?” I blinked widely at my best friend. He couldn’t possibly be serious. Yes, I wanted Peter to know how I felt, and to return those wonderful feelings, but there was no way I had enough nerve to do so.

“Tell him how you feel. It’s the only way, isn’t it?” Joe repeated and I looked down at the lush grass. We remained quiet for a few moments before the bell rung, signalling us all to return to our afternoon classes. “You’re not going to. I can tell. No matter how many times I suggest it to you, you never do anything. It’s like trying to tell a brick wall to move; it just ain’t gonna happen.” Joe stood and offered me his hand. I ignored him and walked back to my Chemistry class in silence, a quiet Joe leaving to go to Geography along the way.

How could he say that? I was annoyed with what he had said, to say the least. A brick wall? Someone who didn’t take their best friend’s advice? That wasn’t me at all... Or at least not who I thought I was…

I was brought out of my angry racing thoughts by the presence of none other than Peter. He had taken his seat next to me and was sitting closer than usual, much to the delight of my heart. It fluttered as he gave me a relaxed smile, clearing my mind from anything bad in an instant. I attempted to give him a pretty grin back, but I doubted it worked. Plain Jane's weren’t capable of being beautiful. Only the popular girls were, because fake was beauty these days.

“Hey Jane,” he beamed as he opened his book and grabbed a pen. “Ready for some fun Chemistry?” I giggled madly at his sarcastic remark before suddenly becoming quiet, realising I would have appeared stupid or crazy to him. He wasn’t that fond of Chemistry, but it somehow came naturally to me.

“You know I’ll help you when you get stuck,” I replied politely and Peter grinned that handsome grin of his.

“Thanks, Jane. You know I really appreciate it,” he said, making my heart swoon. Fortunately, we didn’t have to continue conversing as the teacher had begun to talk, so I was able to relax for a little bit. Throughout the class, I continually aided Popular Peter with the questions, working slowly through them and ensuring he understood. It was times like these that made me feel like I was too nice and helpful to people, but Peter deserved it. He was such a good guy, despite some of the rumours I had heard. But then again, teenagers really do make up some insane stories…

At the end of the class, I was packing up my books and getting ready to leave, my heart happily pounding with excitement as I stole looks at Peter. How could someone be so perfect?

We had different classes next, but they were right next door, so we always walked together. No one ever cared that Popular Peter was hanging out with Plain Jane; he could do whatever he wanted. I adored our talks, even though I’d get some nasty looks from the bleached blonde hair girls in our year group as we headed to our classes. It was worth it.

“Well, I’ll see ya tomorrow then,” I said shyly with the tiniest grin ever. We had reached the spot where we’d separate, letting me walk down the corridor to the next door.

“Oh, uh, Jane? Can I ask you something?” I hesitated as he took a few steps past his classroom’s door, getting quite close to me. “I was wondering… I know it’s ages away, but… Would you want to go to the ball with me?”

“Um, what?” I stuttered, completely shocked. Was I dreaming? I had to be asleep… There was no way that this would ever happen in real life! It must just be my imagination. I moved my hand slightly and pinched my other hand that was gripping onto my folder. Nope, I was awake… I zoned back in, noting he was humorously describing to me the setting, how people danced together, and how everyone had a good time. “Are you serious? Don’t you want some blonde bimbo to go with?” I said it lightly, as if I was kidding, but meant every word at the same time. He just laughed.

“I heard mousey brown is the new platinum blonde, actually,” he joked back and I relaxed a little. “I dunno, I was just thinking that I could take you and we could hang out a bit more, you know?”

“Okay…” I finally managed to breathe. “Yeah, I’d like that.” We then exchanged cell phone numbers, my stomach being so unsettled, but in a good way.

“Cool. So, I’ll see ya tomorrow,” he smiled as he backed away to the door. I nodded with my own grin.

“See you tomorrow, Peter.”

And that began the best few months of my life. Happiness overwhelmed me each day. Classes with Peter became much more interesting, and we’d hang out after school, usually at his place, to talk for a little bit, study, then sometimes watch some TV before I’d go home for dinner. We were always joking around and having a great time together. It was almost as if it was too good to be true.

The prom was spectacular. It was a prince and princess, old-fashioned theme, and we looked stunning as a couple. Joe went alone, but I granted him one dance to make him cheer up. We chatted about Peter and I during the dance, and I realised how confused I was about my relationship. Peter and I weren’t officially dating, nor had we kissed or anything like that, but it felt like we were in a relationship. I liked it a lot, yet wanted more clarity. Where did we stand? How did he feel? My dream was coming true, even though it wasn’t completely a reality yet. But I still had time to make it all work.

But not long after the prom we had exams. Exams on what we had learnt so far to determine who would receive awards and scholarships, and to show us what we needed to work on. Popular Peter became increasingly stressed with the pressure, and it took a toll on us. I became saddened and no longer wanted to spend time with him. Unfortunately, he held onto me like I was his saviour or something, and forced me to stay with him and teach him everything before the exams.

As we waited for the results, Peter and I drifted apart. I spent far more time with Joe, once again, and once the results came out, I was delighted. I had done far better than I had imagined, as had Joe. But my happiness was soon crushed. Peter had failed everything. He actually didn’t understand anything I had attempted to teach him. He blamed me, gave me pathetic reasons for his judgement, and avoided me. I was absolutely devastated, and that was an understatement. To be put down by the guy I thought I was in love with was the worst feeling in the world. I knew he knew he was being a horrible person, but he didn’t care.

Why?

I was tired of waiting for answers. I was getting nowhere. In a completely messed up state, on the brink of tears, I met with Joe for lunch. We were outside once more, enjoying the warming weather and letting it relax us to some extent as we tried not to think about the final exams approaching.

I sat with hunched shoulders, dampened eyes, the largest frown in history, and a huge painful black hole in my stomach that was threatening to take the rest of me. I was almost giving in; it had taken my heart, so what was the point of trying to live without it?

“Why, Joe? Tell me why he’d do such a thing?” I whispered, fighting the urge to break down. I’d never hear the end of it if I showed up to my next class with evidence of crying written all over me. People were nasty like that.

“Do you really want me to be honest?” he replied after a short pause. I met his eyes and saw hurt. He really felt my pain, I guess.

“Do your worst,” I sighed, diverting my eyes away from his face.

“I’m an outsider, to some extent. I can see things you don’t, and trust me, I’ve noticed a lot of things…” he began. Joe took in a deep breath before continuing. “It’s really obvious what’s been going on, Jane. Everyone at this school sees it. Peter used you to try and pass his exams to keep his apprenticeship. That’s all. He never liked you as more than a friend, he never wanted to go to the ball with you, he never wanted to spend all that extra time with you... He just wanted your smarts.”

“But I’m not even the smartest girl here,” I argued, a part of me refusing to believe him, but another part knowing he was right.

“No, but you’re intelligent enough, and much better looking than those really nerdy girls, not to mention the fact you already had a crush on him. So, I guess it was easier for him to try and fool you than someone else.” Everything seemed to click in place once he told me that. It all made sense and seemed very likely that that was Peter’s real motive.

“I’m so stupid…” I groaned, flinging my head into my hands. I pushed my palms hard into my eyes, trying to stop the tears from escaping.

“You are not stupid!” Joe exclaimed, putting an arm around my shoulders for comfort. “You are a wonderful girl, and dim-witted Popular Peter has made the biggest mistake of his life! He should have kept you while he had the chance!”

“I just wanted it to work out so badly…” I sobbed, dismissing what he had just said. “I thought… I thought he was meant to be with me… even though I’m different to the popular girls…”

“You are different, and that’s a good thing, but you never belonged together. Anyone could have seen that.”

“Why not? Tell me why the jock can’t be with someone other than the cheerleader!”

“Because you’re Plain Jane. You’ve said that yourself so many times. No disagreement there?” Joe asked calmly and I looked up at him again. He had a small smile, which comforted me a bit.

“No, you’re right,” I agreed with a small nod.

“And he’s Popular Peter, right?”

“Uhuh…”

“So, does it sound like Popular and Plain are supposed to be together?” Joe asked as he raised his eyebrows.

“They both begin with P…” I mumbled, making him chuckle.

“They don’t belong together. They’re too different,” he explained. “Now, how about Average. Does that sound better with Plain?”

“Well, yeah, they’re pretty much the same thing…” I trailed off. “But… you’re Average Joe…”

“Yes. And you, Plain Jane, belong with Average Joe, okay? You belong with me, not Popular Peter!”
♠ ♠ ♠
2402 words. A lot more than I expected to be able to write, considering I'm busy with studying for my upcoming exams. Sorry if some parts seem a bit rushed. I tried. :S

Regardless, I'd love to hear your comments/thoughts on this piece.