Status: It is in Progress

The Orchids Keeper

The Girl in a Ghost Town

The Black Order, Where Scientists, Finders, and most of all, Exorcists fight to defeat the Millennium Earl. Where Accommodators to Innocence are found and learn how to fight Akuma. They are few in number, but they exceed in what they do and enjoy the duty of protecting people. At headquarters, there are five Exorcists residing there awaiting new orders from their goofy, yet lazy Chief and Branch Head, Komui. It was noon and the exorcist had joined together in the cafeteria.

One is parasitic with white hair. His name is Allen Walker and is currently inhaling food. The cheery girl beside him is Lenalee Lee, the Chief's younger sister who is laughing at Allen's eating habits. The swordsman with a permanent frown is Yu Kanda. He is extremely addicted to Soba Noodles and will tear you a new one if you call him by his first name. The next two are the most important ones in this story, Bookman and Lavi, the old bookman was scolding the red head about acting his age while the teenager only pouted and denied what the Panda was saying. All was normal, or at least it was at that moment, for in a couple of minutes they would be called up for a debriefing on their next mission. And on that mission, they would change a nineteen year old girls life forever.

"So we are going to Japan, Eh?" Lavi said as him and his mentor boarded the train.

Bookman nodded as they made their way to their seats, "That is correct Lavi. The town is called Shirahama. It is located on the coastline, so our trip should take a couple of days."

"I'm so excited to finally be going on a mission where there's a beach!" He grinned stretching onto the seat. Bookman shook his head as he settled next to the window.

"This isn't a vacation Lavi. Our mission is to investigate the disappearances of our finders that were sent out. The Black Order had been under the impression that it was an abandoned village and they had to pass through it to check on things at the next to town over. This is the first time in years that something has happened in that area. We can't even be sure they are still alive."

"I'm sure they will turn up somewhere. After all, that place is a ghost town." Lavi said crossing his arms behind his head and closing his eyes."

"That may quite possibly be the case," Bookman sighed as he looked out the window, "We just need to keep our eyes open when we arrive."

/~/~/

Rin was hot and sweaty. She had spent the last two hours burying the last finder that she had found in the woods. She patted the dirt of the grave with a shovel before sticking it into the ground and wiping the sweat from her face.

"Grave number five finished." She dusted off her shorts and began to walk back to Shirahama's once busy tavern at the edge of town. Now it was empty along with the rest of the small village. The only human living within miles was the one and only, Rin Kazukohana. Age nineteen, height five foot eight, sun kissed skin, rusty colored eyes, brown hair with blonde highlights, and nothing else but what she thought was a freak. Her frown turned into a small smile as she saw the dog waiting for her by the bar's door.

"Hey girl. What's up?" She scratched the canine's head making her back leg twitch. Rin laughed as the dog licked her cheek. She was a survivor, like her. After the incident that wiped out her town, she found the animal, once small, curled up beside a pile of ashes. When she was a child she only thought that something had caught on fire, but she knew better now. It was the ashes of the puppy's mother. It wasn't the only ashes she found. There were many piles around town after the monsters came.

"I bet you're hungry. Be right back!" She patted the chocolate Lab's head one more time before walking through the swinging doors and opening the food pantry. She took out the skinned Rabbit she had caught the other day along with a bowl of water and returned outside. She set them on the ground next to her rocking chair and smiled as the eager Labrador went at it. She looked up at the sky and determined the sun's location. It had to be about noon now. Digging those graves had taken longer then she thought.

She sat in her rocking chair as she watched her best friend chew away at the bones. Yes, having to hunt, kill, and skin your own meat was gross and most people wouldn't stomach it, but that's how she had survived for seven years and was now accustomed to it. She had been there by herself with the dog she called Stella for that long. It was a lonely life, but she bared through it. She promised her mother that she would.

After a while, Rin was woken up by Stella barking and growling. The sun was just setting and she was still in her rocking chair at the bar, So she must've not gone home.

"What's wrong Stella?" Rin rubbed the dogs head as it began to whine and stare off at the dirt road. Rin looked over and listened trying to find the cause. Soon she heard sounds coming from the road.

No, more like muffled voices.

She stood abruptly as two heads began to peek over the hill and the voices became louder and louder. Frantically, she ran to the side of the building and pressed her back against the wall. It was people coming into her village, and something always went wrong when that happened. She peeked out from behind the building and watched as the two men approached the village.

"Look Gramps, It's a dog!" The red- headed one said as he ran up to Stella. He reached out to pet her, but she snapped at him making him pull back.

"How strange." The shorter old man followed the other one, observing the healthy dog and the filled up water bowl, "Somebody has been here." Rin unintentionally eeped, making the two mens heads turn her way. She quickly retracted her head and pressed her back harder against the wall, hoping she hadn't been caught.

But of course she was, she was dealing with bookmen after all.

"I saw you," Lavi smiled, crossing his arms, "Come on out, we're not going to hurt you."

Rin huffed before stepping out of her hiding spot cautiously, "What do you want?" She said, holding an arm up in defense. Lavi gaped at her with wide eyes, making her confused. She was wearing her normal clothes which was a bikini top and shorts. She didn't think nothing of it because that's what she preferred with the heat and all, but Lavi, an eighteen year old boy, was a different story. Soon hearts popped out of his eye sockets as he spun around in one spot.

"STRIKE!" He threw his fists up in the air, confusing the girl even more. She quirked her head to the side as the older man sighed. Bookman grew tired of Lavi's hormonal antics and jumped up in the air before coming back down on Lavi's head with his feet.

"Ow! What was that fo, you old Panda?" He rubbed the back of his head as Bookman stood.

"You were acting ridiculous Lavi. Now, would you mind telling us who you are, young lady?" He asked her. She nodded before dropping her arm back to her side.

"I'm Rin Kazukohana" She bowed her head as he did also.

"I am Bookman, and this troublesome youngster is my apprentice Lavi." He bowed back as the red-head stood.

"Whoa, You guy's are Bookmen?" Her eyes grew wide in astonishment as the two Bookmen glanced at each other.

"So you have heard of our Clan?" The short old man asked as her eyes saddened. She looked to the ground and held her right arm.

"Yes... A long time ago."

~Flashback~

"Kachan! Otousan!" The younger Rin cheered as her parents walked through the door. Her parents smiled as they saw their daughter running towards them.

"Well if it isn't my favorite little girl!" Her father grinned as she ran into his arms and he twirled her in the air.

Rin giggled as her dad finally let her back on the ground,"Silly Papa! I'm not little anymore, I'm..." She began to figure her age out with her fingers, "Six!" She held up only five fingers, making her parents laugh. Her mother sat down her bags, lifted the little girl's hands up, and helped her put up six.

"There you go, sweetheart. Now did you have fun with your grandfather while we were gone?" She asked as her husband put the bags in the kitchen and began to go through them.

Rin pouted as her mother picked her up and walked to help with the bags, "Gramps is mean! He wouldn't let me have any candy."

"But it would spoil your dinner if he let you have candy. He did it for your best interest!" Her mother smiled cheerfully sitting Rin on the kitchen."

"Arita! Kiroh! I'm leaving!" An old man came out from the hallway and said before walking out the front door.

"I agree with Rin... Your father is a real grump, Arita." Kiroh said to his wife, making the little girl giggle and Arita to cross her arms.

"And yours isn't? I remember Tokka coming up for your birthday and making a certain comment about my cooking. Talk about rude."

"...Touche, my love, touche." He smiled before kissing her on the forehead and setting a few things in the food pantry. Rin, the curious little girl that she was , leaned over the table to peek in the paper bags. She grabbed the closest one to her and peered into it to find several books stacked on top of one another.

"More books, Kachan?"

"That's right! Four more to add to our library!" Arita beamed as Kiroh snickered behind them.

"Like you need anymore. The library is already full of books!"

"So what?" She said while she went through the books in the sack, "Everyone needs a little more knowledge in life."

"Yeah, with your library you probably have enough knowledge to be a Bookman." He chuckled as Rin looked at him in a confused manner.

"What's a book...man?" She questioned as her mother sat down and put her in her lap.

"They are people that dedicate their life to the history of the world. There aren't very many, but the ones that do exist are smarter than anyone you will ever meet." Arita explained as the curious girl turned to look at her.

"They sound awesome! Have you ever met one Kachan?"

"Yes" Arita laughed, "But only once and it was very brief."

"Cool! Can you tell me more?"

"Rin Airi Kazukohana!" Her father yelled as he stalked into the kitchen.

While Rin and Arita were chatting, he walked into the hallway and found something very unpleasant for him to see. He stopped and took a deep breath before speaking again, "Our walls...are not a canvas for you to paint on!"

Rins mother's jaw dropped as Rin's eye grew wide. She quickly jumped off of Arita's lap and ran towards the door laughing.

"Sorry, Papa! It was grandpa I swear!"

~End Flashback~

"Rin, are you alright?" Lavi asked as he shook her out of her thoughts. Her eyes widened before she kicked him in the shin and backed away."Ow! What the hell was that for?" He said jumping up and down holding his leg.

"Uh, Sorry about that..." She said scratching the back of her head, "I guess I spaced out."

"Yeah, we thought you left us for a second there." He laughed making her feel more at ease.

Bookman looked at her curiously and stood beside Lavi as he began to speak, "Tell me Ms. Kazukohana, What has brought you here? Are you traveling by yourself?"

"Traveling?" She spoke timidly, not fully understanding the question. "This is...my home. I don't travel."

The two Bookmen glanced at each other, making her wariness return. She did not like strangers coming to her town, especially if they acted this suspicious.

"I see." The older Bookman nodded as he continued, "And how long have you lived here?"

She paused a minute as Stella ran up and licked her hand, "I have lived here all my life... So has Stella."

Bookman and Lavi's eyes grew wide. It shouldn't have been possible. They began to think about the documents from debriefing.

Shirahama in the Nishimuro District.

Status: Abandoned. Inhabitants all deceased.

On July 6 seven years ago, Shirahama Village was demolished by the Millenium Earl. Akuma wreaked havoc in the small coastal town and many finders were lost. Exorcists were deployed, but did not make it in time.

There were no survivors.

"Wh-...why are you two looking at me like that?" She questioned, putting her fists up in a fighting stance, "Look, I didn't ask for some nosey strangers to come barging into my village and harass me with questions!" She said beginning to panic and shaking her head fiercely, "Just... just go away!"

"Whoa, Just wait a minute." Lavi said as he waved his hands in front of him as if to surrender, "We didn't mean to upset you, we just thought that this place was abandoned." He took a step forward and spoke in a softer voice, "Everything is okay, I promise."

She furrowed her brows as she looked at the man. This was the first time she had interacted with another human in a while. Well, a living one at least. The last people she had been with were the men that she buried that afternoon.

Now that she thought of it, maybe these people were here just for their friends. She relaxed a little and slightly lowered her arms, still being on guard.

"If you re here for your friends in the strange coats, They're not here." She said evening out her voice.

"So you've seen the finders? Where are they?" Lavi asked as he looked around.

She sighed and pointed as she said, "In those graves over there." The two exorcists looked and saw the five rectangular patches of patted down dirt. "I found them in the woods. They had already been dead for a couple days, So I buried them."

Lavi looked at the girl as she stared at the graves sympathetically. She had buried them by herself, and not many could do that. Maybe it was because she was disconnected from the world. She had lived there by herself all this time, and nobody knew it. He couldn't help but feel sad for her. She had no family, no close ones. The only thing she had even close to a friend was the dog that stuck by her side. She had to be at least his age, So had she really been alone for that long?

"Do you know how they died?" Bookman finally spoke up after a long silence. She shook her head in response as the dog barked. It was getting dark outside and only a little light was left.

"Um, I gotta go." She said awkwardly before spinning around and walking away down the dirt road. Lavi blinked before following after her.

"Wait! Where are you going?" He stopped a few feet away from her in fear of another kick in the shin. She turned her body to the side and looked at him.

"It's getting dark outside and the route to my house is...sketchy." She answered before starting to walk again.

"But, wait!" Lavi stopped her again, this time gaining the courage to lay his hand on her shoulder.

No kick in the shin this time, just a flinch.

She didn't turn around, just began to speak, "Why are you stopping me? I already told you about your friends, so just leave already."

"There is more to it than just our diseased friends," Bookman spoke, walking towards them and making her finally turn around. "I believe that you're in danger, Rin." She looked at him strangely as Lavi turned to him.

"What do you think is going on, Gramps?"

Bookman looked at his apprentice, then back at Rin, "I can't be sure, but whatever killed those finders may still be lurking around here somewhere. It would be best if we stay with the girl until we know what is going on."

Rin looked at them like they were crazy, "I can take care of myself, thank you very much! I don't need two strangers roaming my home because they want to "protect" me." She put her hands on her hips as Lavi smirked.

"Come on, We aren't strangers anymore. Besides, I would think you would like some company" He said, only causing her to send a glare his way. He quickly wiped his smirk off and cleared his throat, "Okay fine, but we are still coming. Just...think of us as a insurance policy."

She glanced at the two with a stubborn face before crossing her arms and pouting, "Whatever, but you will do everything I say, when I say it."

"Fine with me, What do you say, Gramps?" Lavi asked his mentor gaining a nod in response. "That settles it!" He grinned.

"And if you try anything I will skin you like a rabbit, Understand?" She threatened as he kept his grin and crossed his arms behind his head.

"Gotcha!"

She huffed walking the other way with the two exorcists behind her. The labrador walked next to her as she fastened her pace so her and Stella was in front of them. She was twelve years old the last time she had to deal with people, and she used to be good at it too. Now she sucked at it and on top of that these weren't exactly normal people. Bookmen weren't how she imagined them to be, especially the red-headed one named Lavi.

/~/~/

Lavi and Bookman began to speak at a tone where she wouldn't hear them. She probably wouldn't have heard in the first place with the ill things she was thinking about.

"So what do you really think, Gramps?

"There is something strange going on here. I believe it's revolved around that girl."

Lavi nodded, "Do you think she has innocence?"

"We can't be sure about that."

"Right." He paused for a moment, "But the way those finders died doesn't sit right with me."

"If it was an Akuma attack they should have been turned to ash, so we might not be dealing with the Millennium Earl."

"But if it wasn't the Earl or an Akuma, then what else would it be?"

"That is what we are going to find out, Lavi."
♠ ♠ ♠
There ya go!!!! So, the second chapter is finished, but i would like to get some feedback before I post it, so please comment!:)