In Love With An Angel

Chapter 2

“Did you really have to be so harsh?” Delaney asked with a puzzled expression on her face.

Evander frowned in annoyance. “You know I hate doing it, but it’s necessary.”

“The girl cried, Evan.” Delaney sighed, “She wept in the restroom throughout the entire lunch period. I didn’t even know a girl could cry that much.”

Evander flinched at Delaney’s remark, feeling awful for the way he treated Stacy earlier that day. It was true that he had been a jerk, and although he hated himself for it, it was something he had to do. Allowing anyone to get too close was dangerous. He simply pushed others away in order to keep them safe.

Evander couldn’t allow anyone to get too close—at least not anyone besides Delaney. In some ways, Delaney was very much like a sister to him, and he loved her just like one. Their friendship dated back to as far as he could remember. She was always there for him, and he trusted her. Whenever he was lonely or sad, Delaney was there. Delaney was the only person Evander kept close because she wasn’t fragile or someone who needed to be protected. She wasn’t a frail human, she was strong, she was like him—an angel.

“Evan, do you regret what we did?” She asked, interrupting his thoughts.

“No,” He turned to look at her. “Not at all.”

“Do you ever stop to think that if we hadn’t done what we did, things would be better? We wouldn’t have to hide anymore. We wouldn’t be alone. We wouldn’t have to push others away.”

“We did what we felt was the right thing to do, Delaney.” Evander spoke in a low voice. He leaned toward her, placing his hand on her shoulder.

Delaney simply looked at him blankly and exhaled slowly. “It’s my fault we are being hunted, Evan. It’s my fault we’re stuck in this present nightmare, and it’s my fault we can’t return to Averia.”

Averia was their home country, a magical kingdom located in the middle of Europe, glamoured and surrounded with wardings so that humans could not enter. It was heaven on earth, the home of angels and the nephilim.

Before arriving at the small little Indiana town where they now resided, Delaney and Evander had lived in Averia. There they had led a safe and comfortable life as prestigious, high-ranked angels. Now they were on their own, struggling to survive, fighting against demons and other dangerous creatures from the Shadoworld. Worst of all, they were being hunted down by the Conclave for breaking a sacred law.

There was a long silence as Delaney and Evander thought about their actions. Then the faint sounds of a vibrating phone broke through that silence.

Delaney twirled a knife between her fingers, then looked up at Evander, who stared thoughtfully at the cell phone he held in his hands. “Whose phone is that?” She asked.

“It belongs to Stella.” He answered without breaking his gaze from the phone. “Stella Payne.”

Delaney recalled seeing the girl before. Stella was the fortunate girlfriend of the handsome and charming Zachary King. Occasionally, Delaney, saw them walking through the school hallways holding hands, or standing by the lockers laughing.

“Are you going to answer it?”

“No,” he said flatly, retrieving a dagger that was holstered in his belt and unfurling a set of massive wings. They stretched out beautifully behind him, making him appear more unearthly and intimidating than usual. “We have more important business to attend to. Let’s go kill some demons.”

Image


“I still can’t believe it!” Anna exclaimed, unable to hide her delight. “You’re meeting up with Evander—the one and only Evander Moore.”

“Yes,” Stella nodded, hopping into the passenger seat of Anna’s car. “But, it’s only so that I can get my cell phone back, nothing more.”

“Perhaps, but why go through the trouble of asking to you meet him somewhere?” Anna inquired.

“Probably,” Stella pointed out, “because he couldn’t give me the phone at school. Yesterday was our last day.” Her lips curved into a smile, “And, now it’s officially summer! I can’t wait to go on the road trip with the guys.”

“About that,” Anna began. “We won’t be able to go on the road trip as we had planned.”

“What?” Stella asked in surprised disbelief. “Why?”

“Kyle’s uncle, Gregor, is very ill. His family decided to make a trip to Germany and visit him. I talked to him earlier and he was really distraught about the entire situation.”

“Oh, I’m really sorry to hear that.” Stella frowned, feeling that she should say something more, but she couldn’t find the right words. She was disappointed that they wouldn’t be able to go on the trip; however, she was more worried about Kyle and his family.

For the rest of the way, the girls sat in silence until Anna pulled into the coffee shop where Evander had asked to meet and parked the car.

The establishment was a tidy little place with simple beige walls, and round glass tables encircled by stylish chairs. There was also a large brown, leather couch were Delaney lied comfortably, resting her head on Evander’s lap. Her eyes were closed, her face peaceful. For a moment Stella wondered if she was sleeping, but then she noticed Delaney’s lips moving as she spoke to Evander.

Anna and Stella made their way to the couch and politely greeted Delaney and Evander.

“Hi,” Delaney smiled, sitting up and smoothing her long navy blue dress. “Want to go order something with me?”

“I don’t really like coffee.” Anna frowned.

“This place serves the best hot chocolate and cookies in town.” Delaney insisted, until Anna finally agreed to go with Delaney, leaving Stella and Evander alone.

“Where’s my cell phone?” Stella asked, turning to face Evander as the other girls left.

Evander smiled and spoke with a pleasant voice. Stella, however, couldn’t bring herself to pay attention to what he said. She was caught up on the fact that he was beautiful. His eyes were unnervingly blue and banded by brilliant flecks of silver. His tangled blonde hair curled around the nape of his neck.

Stella felt her cheeks flame. She was in a relationship with Zach and shouldn’t be thinking about any other boys, especially not Evander. However, it was difficult not to admire him. Evander possessed an ethereal beauty that left her breathless.

His fingers brushed against hers as he handed her the phone and she felt her skin burn.