Sequel: Risen Moon

Angel Moon

Time Is Running Out

PARIS

The cool air made my thoughts clearer, helped me to think more soberly for five minutes. I'd avoided him, climbing out of the window and along the low roof of the lower floor, slipping out into the forest and to the cliff edges without even being seen. I now sat on a rock, silent and thinking. I felt a sudden jolt to my system when I remembered that the door to her room had no lock on it, that she was asleep and her betrayed lover could do anything to her while she was defenceless. But then I thought it over rationally. No, he wouldn't. He couldn't.

Just like you couldn't?

Letting my thoughts get the better of me, I pulled at my hair and looked out over the cliff edge. I was going to hell. Pondering my sins, I counted how many I'd commited. No point skimming over the little ones, so I headed straight for the main seven. Lust. Oh yeah, plenty of that, that was the main one. I was a lecherous piece of filth. Greed. Mhm, that was another one. Having my cake and eating it on a regular basis was my forté, so gluttony was probably in there too. Sloth, neglect of duty that you must fulfil. Well, I'm the most neglectful bastard there ever was so that box was ticked. Pride. I pretty much used to think of myself as better than any other man until now, and any one who I knew in my heart of hearts was better than me I envied any way. Envy. The thought of it cut my insides. I'd never envied any other man more than I'd envied Logan Phoenix. Last but not least, wrath. The love of justice perverted to revenge and spite. Uncontrolled violence, hate and anger. Uncontrolled violence. The words span in and out of my head, making me feel sick.
All I could hear was guilt and blame and spite and selfishness and I felt like hurling myself off the cliff. Into the sharp, jagged rocks below and falling until I couldn't feel a thing. It would save her, it would save him, it would save me. I would be able to save every one, just this once.

"I'm not making it that easy." he muttered from the edge of the dense forest. He sounded hollow, and I turned to see him, pale, dead behind the eyes, almost as sick as me. I stood, facing him.

"I won't fight you, I won't hurt you. That's not what she wants. But I will fight you for her. I will do what ever it takes to have her because I love her, but I will not fight you physically. I won't fight back. So kill me."

"Finally developed a concience, I see." he hissed. "That took you long enough."
I opened my mouth to speak, but I was cut short. It had been lying in wait, it seemed to now understand my thoughts on wanting to die. So when the large black wolf floored me, I only fought back for a second, before letting it sink it's teeth into me and lying limply on the ground, waiting for my life to end. I heard screams, shouting, all manner of blood curdling cries before realising that the sun was appearing on the horizon, bathing the forest in a pale yellow light. Burning and wolf attack. What a way to go, I thought morbidly as I lay there. The weight was lifted suddenly, and I opened my blurred eyes to see a truly surprising picture before me. Caine was dragged away by his brothers, spitting and snarling and covered in my blood. He looked monstrous, his eyes a dark crimson and his face contorted with pure rage and bloodlust. I sat up, my head spinning and the bite wound at my shoulder stinging. It dripped with a familiar inky blackness and I nearly fainted. Shit.

"Paris! Oh my god! No, no, no..." Tia cried, rushing to my side. Sheilding me from the sun with a heavy black cloak, she stared at me, tears in her eyes. She was exhausted, emotionally and physically, she just couldn't do this. I saw her eyes become wide and fearful as I was picked up by my shirt by Logan. He was still incensed with absolute rage. She screamed at him, crying now. But he ignored every one in the shadows of the clearing but still present, Belle, the three brothers, and pinned me to a tree. He was going to kill me, right here, right now. And I didn't care. I deserved it. She cried, pleaded, begged. He ignored her. He put pressure on my shoulders, the bark of the tree scraping layers of skin from my shoulder blades and making me bleed. He would tear my throat out, and I wasn't fighting back.

"Just let him go, Logan!" she cried, clawing at his arms, and he shook her off, a violent hiss in her face. The muscles in my arms tensed. Don't you dare. She scratched him, leaving delicate lines on his cheek, they dripped with beads of blood. He roared at her, taking her wrist and twisting it, pushing her to the ground. She hit the icy forest floor with a thud, holding her ribs and crying. I looked down at her. No.

"Don't you remember what he did to you? Or are you that stupid, Lucretia?" There was a venom to his voice, it hurt her just to listen. Enough. No one hurt her, ever. I'd done it, he'd done it, we'd all hurt each other in one way or another. But what happened on that night would not happen again. Once it started between them it wouldn't stop. Now I knew why I'd run away. I couldn't hurt her again. While his grip was loosened, I gathered all the strength that I had in my weak body. Closing my eyes for a split second, a calming breath in before I bared my fangs and dived on him. He fell backwards, and we tumbled precariously toward the cliff edge, snapping and snarling at each other. I bit down hard on his shoulder, hitting bone and he roared with pain. I dug my fangs in further, biting the flesh away as his blood poured. I knelt on his rib cage, catching my breath. He scrambled at the icy ground, trying to grab a hold. He was going to turn over and send me falling over the edge. I grabbed hold of his shuffling hand and sprained the wrist, and growled at him.

"I am not going any where."

And with that he tried to accomplish his tactical move any way, but I dived off him in time to see his pale and bloody form slide over the edge of the cliff, never to be seen again.