Sequel: Who Could Have Known
Status: Complete!

If You Only Knew

She's Not There

Darren's POV

"Where is she?" I gasped, looking frantically around the room. I checked behind each of the clothing racks, but came up empty-handed.

"Are you sure that it was coming from in here?" Chris' voice came from behind me. I turned around to glare at him.

"You can't tell me that you didn't hear her too!" I accused. "She was right here!"

"Maybe it was just a recording or something," Chris suggested. "Just because you heard someone singing doesn't mean that they were actually singing right here, right now."

"Chris, I'm serious!" I sighed, slumping back against the vanity. "She was in here."

We had been walking back from a talk from Ryan. He had wanted to make sure that everything was ok with everyone. Though the question was said to everyone, I knew that it was actually directed towards me. My suspicions were confirmed when he pulled me aside afterwards.

"I'm fine," I insisted. "I just had a bad day yesterday, that's all."

"Vanessa problems," Chris pitched it, for which I shot him an angry glare.

"Again?" Ryan sighed. "Look Darren-"

"It's over between us, okay?" I sighed. "I called it off yesterday. That's why I was so upset and acted out. I did go apologize to that girl. I felt terrible about what happened, so I took her flowers and everything. I think things are cool between us now. But ya, I'm fine now. No more acting out, I swear." Ryan just stared at me for a minute, assessing whether or not he believed me, but finally he let out a sigh and sent us on our way.

"On stage in ten," he reminded us as we walked away. "We're going to run from the top, that means the beginning of the show!"

I know, I rolled my eyes. As much as I loved Ryan, I could only take so much of him. Like I am the theatre guy after all, my fame kinda started with the help of AVPM, a musical that I helped write and produce. It's like as if he forgot that sometimes.

Well, after next week I won't have to worry about him breathing down my neck, I smiled. Ryan was only staying for one week of the show, just to make sure that everything was going well, before heading back to LA to work on more scripts for Glee, as well as some of his other shows.

"Did I overstep with the whole Vanessa comment?" Chris' soft voice asked tentatively. I sighed as I looked at him. He had that worried look on his face, afraid that he had upset me.

"No, Chris, it's fine," I reassured him, giving him a light pat on the back. "It's just that Ryan doesn't need to know every detail of my personal life, okay?"

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"It's fine," I repeated. That's when I heard it. The soft, musical sound of someone singing.

"Do you hear that?" I asked, putting my arm out to stop him. We both stood there in the middle of the hallway, our ears straining to hear the voice.

"I do," Chris exclaimed, looking at me. "Who is it?"

"I don't know," I felt my eyebrows furrow in confusion. It wasn't a voice that I recognized. "Let's find out!"

We slowly made our way down the hallway, stopping momentarily at each door that we passed, listening intently to see if the voice came from inside. Finally, we stopped outside a door where the voice sounded the loudest. With a start, I realized that we were standing in front of my dressing room. I gave Chris a questioning look, to which he just shrugged. I carefully pressed my ear against the door and suddenly felt sure that this was where the source of the voice was.

I wanted to fling the door open to reveal the singer, but I found myself entranced by the voice. It was light and pure, obviously female, and was so happy as it sang the song that I had done on Glee, Hey, Soul Sister. She was singing it acapella, but it still sounded beautiful even without the music that I was used to hearing with this song.

I felt Chris lean up against the door beside me, trying to hear the voice better too. We both listened silently as she sang the last line of the song and when she finished, I felt the sudden urge to rush in and find out who this person was. But when I went to step back from the door, my foot caught on Chris', who was standing too close to me, and I almost fell backwards, throwing my body forwards instead. I winced as my body slammed against the door.

"You okay?" Chris whispered, concern laced in his words.

"I'm fine," I replied, pushing myself away from the door. "Come on, let's go applaud our mystery singer." I grabbed the doorknob and opened the door. I was shocked to find the room empty.

"Where is she?" I repeated again for like the fifth time.

"Darren, I don't think-" Chris started.

"No, we both heard her," I interrupted him. "You know that there was someone in here!"

"I don't know what I heard," Chris sighed. "For all we know, it could have been a recording. Don't stress out over it, okay? We've got a show to do!"

"Alright," I sighed, grabbing my Michael Jackson outfit for the first number. "I'll try."

"There's my brave, handsome, bushy-haired boyfriend!" Chris smiled, using a line from the show.

"Hey, don't insult the hair!" I warned, pointing a finger at him. He just raised his hands defensively as if to say "sorry, didn't mean it, don't point at me!" I dropped my hand with a laugh.

"You better hurry," I smirked. "You're running out of time to put on your favourite costume." Chris just glared at me. The Michael Jackson outfit was one of his least favourites as it was a full black leather, one-piece suit that, like my outfit, had a band around the left sleeve, except his was gold.

"Can't I just sit this one out?" he pleaded, pouting his lips a little.

"Chris..." I added a warning tone to my voice.

"I'm going! I'm going!" he sighed, turning around and exiting through the door that attached our rooms.

"Huh," I heard him exclaim softly as he passed through the door. "I thought that I had closed this."

My heart skipped a beat at his comment. He had closed that door earlier. That meant that I was right.

Someone had been in here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, I know that this chapter is a shorter one, but hey my last one was pretty long so I think that that makes up for it.

So what do you think of this twist to the story? It was an idea that I had originally wanted to put into the story when I started writing it, so I just had to put it in there. This whole concept will make sense later. I have plans for this story, great plans :-p It involves much karaoke at a bar :-p But that is all I'm going to say!

As always, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading! <3