Sequel: Who Could Have Known
Status: Complete!

If You Only Knew

The Music of the Night

Kaley's POV

"You were totally flirting with him!" Leah exclaimed as soon as Darren was gone, coming to stand beside me. She had given Darren and I some space while he was here, but now that he was gone, she was instantly back at my side.

"I was not!" I rolled my eyes at her. "I don't even know how to flirt!"

"You totally were!" she teased, poking my arm repeatedly. "Kaley and Darren, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

"Oh, shut up!" I laughed, playfully shoving her away from me.

"Never!" she laughed, darting closer to me and poking my side, one of my most ticklish spots.

"Leah!" I shrieked with a gasp as I doubled over slightly. I was extremely ticklish, so even a simple poke to my side would get me.

"First comes love, then comes marriage," she continued chanting, dancing around me and continuing to dart closer and poke me. "Then comes Darren pushing a baby carriage!"

"That's it!" I exclaimed, lunging at her. "You're dead!" I grabbed her and tackled her to the ground. She kept chanting though, so I clamped my hand over her mouth as I pinned her to the floor.

"Mmmff!" came the muffled sound from under my hand.

"Are you going to stop?" I asked, grinning slightly. She just glared at me defiantly, shaking her head, "no". Then I felt something wet and slimy run across the palm of my hand.

"Leah!" I exclaimed, pulling my hand away. "That was gross!" I furiously wiped my hand on my pants, trying to get Leah's saliva off of my palm.

"That's what you get for trying to silence me!" she laughed, using the opportunity to break away from where I had pinned her to the floor.

"Chris and Leah, sitting in a tree," I mocked her voice. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

"Yeah, I wish," she sighed, flopping down into a nearby chair. "You at least have a better chance with your guy. With Chris, it's not very likely."

"You never know," I shrugged as I stood up and brushed myself off. "And I don't think that I will have much of a chance with Darren anyways. Like really, he's a famous celebrity. Me? I'm a nobody, a wannabe writer who can't even finish a single dang book!" I sighed, leaning back against a table near Leah. "Before yesterday, Darren didn't even know that I even existed! Just because he's being nice and friendly now doesn't mean that he's going to have feelings for me like I have for him. And who knows if we're even really friends? I don't know, Leah, I don't know. I doubt that he really will even go out for ice cream with me. Why would a somebody like him want to spend time with a nobody like me?"

"Kaley!" Leah grabbed my shoulder and turned my attention towards her. "Kaley, Darren just spent over an hour here helping you! He didn't stay to help me, he stayed to help you! And did you not notice how reluctant he was to leave? Kaley, he likes you!"

"I don't know," I turned away from her. "It's just hard to believe that something like that is true."

"Just you wait," I could hear the smile in her voice. "I bet you dishes for a week that he will go on that ice cream date with you!"

"Deal," I laughed, turning back to her and taking her extended hand, which I shook firmly.

"We should probably get going," Leah sighed, letting go of my hand to look at her watch ring. "If we leave now, we should make it home shortly after midnight."

"Alright," I agreed, pushing myself away from the table. "Let's go then."

"Wait, I have to get my stuff!" Leah exclaimed, quickly disappearing behind a row of racks. "Be right back!" I just shook my head and leaned back against the table again, staring in the direction that she had gone, waiting patiently for her to get back.

"Oh, hello, Kaley," a familiar voice echoed through the room. I turned towards the doorway where I found myself being once again entranced by a pair of bright blue eyes.

"H-hello, James," I stuttered, quickly looking back in the direction where Leah had gone. "What are you doing here so late?"

"I could ask you the same question," he smiled charmingly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Laundry," I replied, gesturing at all of the clothes around the room. "Their clothes have to be clean and fresh for each performance."

"I see," he nodded.

"Well, what about you?" I asked, still periodically checking back for Leah. "What's keeping you here so late?"

"Oh, just final lighting and fly checks," he shrugged. "Had to make sure that everything is all good to go for tomorrow. I just finished and now I'm on my way home."

"Yeah, me too," I told him. "Well, not totally done, but the rest can be finished in the morning."

"Oh, so you're leaving now too?" he asked, his eyes twinkling mischievously. "Would you care for a cab buddy?"

"Actually, I think I'm going to be walking home..." I trailed off, checking again for Leah for like the millionth time.

Where are you, Leah? I wondered anxiously. James was totally hitting on me, which was flattering, but Leah told me to stay away from him and I trusted her judgement with my life.

"Well then, how about a walking buddy?" he persisted, drawing my attention back to him. "You should never be walking alone at night in this city."

"And what makes you think that she would be alone?" Leah's irritated voice asked, calling both of our attentions to her. I felt myself relax, breathing a sigh of relief now that she was back.

"Oh, hello, Leah," James' voice was void of emotion. "I didn't know that you were here too."

"Yes, I am," she replied coldly, crossing her arms and glaring at him. "And I'd appreciate it if you would stop hitting on my best friend and just beat it." I was surprised by the intensity of her voice. She was pissed at him, though as for why she was, I had no idea.

"Now, now, Leah," James smirked. "Is that any way to treat an old boyfr-"

"Beat it, James!" Leah growled, cutting him off. "I mean it! You're not wanted here, so get lost!"

"Touchy, touchy," he grinned, amused by her anger.

"Now!" Leah growled under her breath. James raised his hands defensively, slowly backing out of the doorway.

"As you wish," he laughed, bowing to her before turning his attention back on me. "Until we meet again, Miss Grant." He smiled at me and then, with a quick wink, he was gone.

"Ok, what the heck just happened here?" I demanded, turning back to Leah. Her eyes were tightly closed and her hands were clenched into fists that were shaking slightly at her sides.

"Leah?" I said softly, moving closer to her. As I got closer, I noticed the wet streak running down her cheek. I grabbed her shoulders, making her open her eyes and look at me. They were tear-filled.

"Leah, what's wrong?" I asked, worry flooding through me. "What happened?"

"Kaley, there's something that I didn't tell you," she finally said, her voice shaky. She took a deep breath, half to calm herself and half to prepare herself to tell me her secret. "Kaley, James and I... dated."

"What?" I gasped.

"It's true," she nodded, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

"How? When?" I asked, totally flabbergasted. "And why didn't I know?"

"It was during Mamma Mia," she sighed. "We had just met and he was being really flirty and charming and I couldn't help but fall for him. So we started dating. I didn't tell you because I wasn't ready for anyone to know. I was still getting used to the idea of having a boyfriend when it happened."

"When what happened?" I asked anxiously, totally captivated by her story, eager to know what had happened next.

"He happened," she sighed. "He's a player, Kaley. I found out that he was fooling around with not one, but two other girls."

"How did you find out?" I gasped.

"I happened to accidentally intrude on a fight between the two other girls, over him, of course," she laughed halfhearttedly. "I guess that they had just found out about one another, and then I walked in. Man, they were not expecting me to be James' "girlfriend" too. But ya, he was three way cheating on us. Needless to say, we all dumped his sorry butt, in front of the rest of the crew, of course, but it still hurt. I had really liked him and he broke my heart. That's why he's nothing but trouble. That's why he's no good. He's nothing but a no good son of a b-"

"Leah!" I exclaimed, cutting her off.

"Sorry," she grimaced. I guess that in her anger she had forgotten how much I hated swearing. I despised the foul words. I would never say them and I didn't really even like to hear them. They were just stupid, in my opinion.

"It's alright," I smiled lightly. "Thank you, for telling me about him. I'm glad that I have a friend like you looking out for me."

"I know that you would do the same for me," she smiled back.

"Gah, looks like we're not going to get much sleep tonight," I sighed, looking at my watch. The digital clock read 12:01. "Maybe we should just call a cab..."

"Do you have cash on you?" Leah asked, putting on her jacket.

"No..." I replied, shaking my head.

"Then we're walking," Leah announced, heading towards the door. With a sigh, I followed her, grabbing my own jacket from the chair by the door as we passed by. I didn't bother putting it on though, thinking that it might be warm enough outside to not need it, but I changed my mind as soon as we stepped out the door. The cool evening wind blew hard past us, sending shivers crawling up and down my body. I hurriedly pulled my jacket on, zipping it all the way up to the top to provide maximum warmth.

Man, I wish I had brought some cash, I winced as another cold draft of air hit us.

We started walking away from the building, taking a short cut through the parking lot. Only one vehicle still sat there, and it was a long, black limousine.

"I wonder what that's still doing here," I nudged Leah and pointed at the limo.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "Let's find out!" It was on our way anyways, so as we neared the long vehicle, we slowed our pace down slightly, looking for any clue as to why it was still here.

"I don't see anyone," Leah commented, pausing slightly as she tried to peek in through the window. "It's too dark to tell."

"Maybe one of the drivers left it here or something," I shrugged. "Oh well, let's just keep going. I just want to get home as fast as we can so I can go to bed!" We continued on past the limo, but we had barely gone five steps when I heard a door open behind us.

"Excuse me, Miss Grant?" a voice called out after us. My heart stopped for a second when he called my name.

How does he know my name? I panicked, looking at Leah. She looked just as confused. We slowly turned around together and found an older man standing by the now open driver's seat door. He seemed harmless enough and he had a kind look to his face.

"Y-Yes?" I stuttered. "Do I know you?"

"Hello, Miss Grant, my name is Steven Thomson," he smiled warmly at us. "And you must be Miss Tanner." He nodded to Leah.

"How do you know our names?" Leah demanded very bluntly. The old man, Steven, just smiled.

"Mister Criss asked if I could give his two lady friends, Miss Grant and Miss Tanner, a ride home from the theatre once I had dropped him off," Steven explained. "He did not wish for these girls to have to walk home so late at night, and I agreed."

"We don't have any cash," Leah stated. "We have no way of paying you."

"I never asked for payment," Steven shook his head. "Mister Criss just asked if I would do him a favour and I said that I would. He is a such a nice young lad, and when he asked me to drive his two friends home so that they would get there safely, well how could I say no?"

"That is very kind of you, sir," I smiled at him.

"Oh please, call me Steven," he smiled warmly at me.

"Well then, thank you, Steven," I smiled again. Just then, another big breeze blew past us, making me shiver.

"Oh, dear me!" Steven exclaimed, hurrying to open the limo's door for us. "Please forgive me for not offering you the warm sanctuary of the vehicle earlier!"

"Thank you," we both said as we climbed into the back of the limo. Holy cow, was it ever huge! I had only ever been in a limo once before for my high school prom, but it was nothing compared to this limo. The seats were a rich, black leather, and were installed with seat warmers which Leah and I quickly put to good use, turning the heat up as high as it would go. There was a large stereo system that was softy playing some music in the background.

Leah ended up finding a small mini bar, but I didn't dare touch it. I had never had a drink in my entire life, even though I had been of legal drinking age back home before we moved. It was a decision that I had made myself. I never wanted to drink cause I never wanted to get drunk and end up doing something that I would regret later. Besides, I wasn't even of legal drinking age here... Yet.

I smiled as I thought about my upcoming birthday. One of the most special parts about it was that my best friend's birthday was only two days after mine. Leah had decided that she wanted to go to a bar for her birthday this year and I had just laughed and told her that I would be her designated driver, to which she had just rolled her eyes at, saying that I didn't even own a car.

The dark window that separated us from the driver suddenly rolled down to reveal Steven.

"So where am I taking you?" he asked.

As Leah gave him the directions to our apartment, I quickly snuggled down into my warmed seat and pulled out my phone, sending my first ever text to Darren, which I got an instant reply to.

Me: Hey, thanks for the lift! :-p

Darren: Hey, no problem! It's a chilly one out there! Hope you have a pleasant ride! :)

Me: We will! This limo is so kool! You are so lucky! :-p

Darren: Haha thanks :) If you need anything at all, ask Steven. He's a great guy :)

Me: I think we're good. Thanks though :-p

Darren: Alright, well have a good night! See you tomorrow! :)

Me: Yep, you too! Nite! :-p

I exited out of my text messages, letting the picture of Darren light up as I leaned my head back against the head rest.

I could get used to this, I sighed, soaking in the warmth from the chair. My eyes slowly started to close as I relaxed. It must be nice to be one of Darren's friends... My eyes flew open as Steven's words ran through my head again: his two lady friends, his two friends. Darren considered us his friends!

He considers me a friend, I smiled. I guess that Leah was right after all... Oh, dang it! I turned my head slightly to look at her. She was relaxed back into her own chair, her headphones in, probably listening to Glee.

Well, Leah, I sighed silently in my head. I think that you might end up winning our bet... But I think that one week of dishes is well worth it if it means that I'm going to get to go out for ice cream with Darren. I looked back down at my phone in my lap, Darren's picture still illuminated there and I smiled.

Well worth it indeed.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you think? Wasn't that a sweet thing for Darren to do? :) Oh and what are your thoughts on this mysterious James character? Think he's gonna cause more trouble?

Thanks to my awesome commenters, XDistantDarkPlacesX & allykat_08. You guys have no idea how much your comments mean to me, even if you're only saying that you loved the chapter. It makes me feel good about my writing and puts a huge smile on my face. It also encourages me to post new chapters quicker :-p So please, comment and leave me some feedback!! :-p Thanks for reading!