Sequel: Who Could Have Known
Status: Complete!

If You Only Knew

Perfect

Kaley's POV

I slowly opened my eyes, stretching my arms as I let out a deep, relaxed yawn. Sunlight trickled in through my small window and fell across my bed. I blinked, wincing slightly, as the light hit my eyes.

"Leah," my groggy, morning voice called out. There was no response. I turned and looked at the digital clock on my bedside table. It read 10:05. Leah probably wasn't up yet. We had agreed that we could sleep in today since we had gotten all of the costumes done last night.

Still, it was time that I should get up, so I reluctantly rolled out of bed, quickly slipping on my blue monkey-print housecoat and my fuzzy blue slippers.

I slowly made my way down our short hallway, another yawn escaping my lips.

"Leah," I called out again, knocking heavily on her door. There was still no response.

"Leah?" I slowly opened her door and peeked in. Her bed was empty and her PJs from the previous night were lying abandoned on the floor.

"Leah?" I was starting to get worried. I continued down the hallway to the kitchen. She was not there either. I checked every room in our small apartment, but she was nowhere to be found.

I quickly returned to my own room and pulled my phone off of its charger. The screen lit up, showing that I had two new texts. The first one was from Leah. It read: Gone for breakfast with Chris :) See you at the theatre!! <3 Don't be late! Haha :p

I rolled my eyes as I exited out of her text, turning my attention on the second message. It was from my dad.

Dad: Happy Birthday, sweetheart! Your Mom and I love and miss you so much! Our baby girl is all grown up! Hope you have a great day! Love you! :)

I smiled, sending him a quick before closing my phone.

Me: Thanks Dad. I love and miss you guys too! <3

At least someone had remembered. I was actually kind of hurt that Leah had ditched me on my birthday to go out for breakfast with Chris. Like yes, I understand that we are talking about Chris freaking Colfer here, but aren't friends supposed to be there for each other? Guys have that whole bros before hoes thing, so shouldn't it be sis before Chris?

"Yeah, no, that won't happen," I laughed to myself. "Leah loves Chris way too much to go for that."

I left my room and trudged back down the hallway, heading towards the bathroom to start preparing for the day.

My day, I smiled to myself. Today is my day, even if no one else knows it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren's POV

"GET UP!" a high voice yelled in my ear. I winced, then grumbled loudly as my blankets were ripped away from my body.

"I swear I will do it, Darren," the voice threatened. In response, I groaned and hid my head under my pillow. "Can't say I didn't warn you..." A pair of hands suddenly wrapped around my ankles and yanked hard, pulling me very roughly off the bed. The next thing I knew, my face was impacting with the carpet on the floor.

"CHRIS!" I gasped, turning to glare up at him.

"I told you that I would," he replied with a slight smirk. "Kicking and screaming, remember?" I rolled my eyes at him, exhaling a loud huff to inform him of how displeased I was. He just ignored me as he continued to speak.

"So now that you're awake, it's time to get moving," he said, turning towards the closet that we shared and opening it. "The limo will be here in ten minutes to pick us up, so you'd better hurry. Here, this looks nice." He laid down a navy blue t-shirt and a pair of black jeans on my bed.

"I can pick out my own clothes, Chris," I mumbled as I begrudgingly got to my feet and walked towards the closet.

"Nope, you don't have time," he argued, steering me towards the bathroom. "You have nine minutes." He pushed me into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I looked at myself in the mirror and groaned. My hair was a total mess, worse than it usually was. Combine hair gel and sleeping and it does not look pretty.

"Eight minutes!" Chris called out from the other side of the door. I rolled my eyes, even though he couldn't see me do it, and turned on the shower, quickly stripping before stepping into it. The warm water lightly hit my bare skin, its slight coolness helping to wake me up, and I closed my eyes as I let it roll down my body. I sighed as it flowed across my skin.

"Seven minutes!" Chris' voice called over the gentle pounding of the water. With another sigh, I reached for the shampoo. I would much rather take my time, or better yet still be sleeping, but I knew that I had to get moving and pick up my pace.

I can't be late, I reminded myself as I lathered my hair with the shampoo. Not just because I have to get there before Kaley does, but also because Chris would kill me if I made him late for this. A small smirk twitched on my lips.

And I'd really like to not die today, I chuckled to myself. Cause then I'd miss out on Kaley's birthday and I just can't do that. It is her day after all. I liked how that sounded. It was her day.

Yes, it's her day, I smiled as I rinsed the shampoo from my hair. And I'm going to make sure that it's the best one that she's ever had!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaley's POV

The moment that I walked into the theatre I knew that something was off. It was way too quiet, especially considering the fact that the first show of the day went up in just an hour and a half. I quickly pulled out my phone and texted Leah.

Me: Hey, where are you? Did the show get cancelled or something? It's so dead in here!

Leah: I'm in the black box. Chris is showing me how to do the dance for Born This Way! :D

Me: Sweet! Think he'll teach me too? :-p

Leah: Haha of course he will! :p

Me: Alrighty I'll be right there! :-p

I closed my phone and slid it back into my pocket, quickly heading towards the black box. The door was closed, which was unusual because it was usually left open, and I cautiously opened it, surprised to find myself entering a dark room.

"Leah?" I called out into the darkness. Suddenly the lights turned on and a multitude of voices were yelling "Surprise!" at me. My mouth dropped open in surprise as I looked around the room. Everyone was here: all of the crew, all of the employees, even everyone in the Glee cast was here. I was literally speechless.

Leah was instantly by my side, linking her arm through mine and pulling me further into the room.

"Surprise!" she whispered in my ear. I slowly looked at her, still in a slight state of shock. Her face lit up with a smile as she saw my expression.

"I knew you'd be surprised!" she grinned as she led me over to a table in the middle of the room where a very busy Chris was lighting the candles on a very large cake. Once he had finished lighting all twenty-one of them, he took a step back to let me stand in front of it. It was a large, rectangular cake with white icing and blue lettering that read: Happy Birthday Kaley!

"And a one, and a two, and a-" I heard Chris say softly. I slowly looked up to find everyone gathered around on the other side of the table in front of me and suddenly they began to sing.

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you!" I was honestly freaking out inside. The cast of Glee was singing Happy Birthday to me!

Suddenly the group of people in front of me parted down the middle to reveal a guitar-wielding Darren.

"Happy Birthday, dear Kaley," he sang alone as he strummed his guitar, a smile lighting up his face.

And then everyone else suddenly joined back in for the last line, "Happy Birthday to yooooou!"

"And many mooooore!" Darren's voice rang out at the end. The whole room filled with applause and cheers. I had finally passed through the shocked stage and now my eyes were filling up with tears and I had to bite my lip to keep them from spilling out. I turned to face Leah who was still standing beside me.

"You did all of this for me?" I asked her, my voice cracking slightly.

"That's what best friends are for," she nodded, smiling. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and I threw my arms around her, attacking her with a huge hug.

"This is the greatest present that you could ever give me!" I whispered in her ear. "Thank you so much!" I broke away, quickly wiping away the tears in my eyes.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Darren's voice called out suddenly. "Make a wish and blow out your candles!" I slowly turned back to the cake before me.

What should I wish for? I wondered, looking up at the people around me. I already feel like all my wishes have come true.

I felt Leah grab my hand and give it a light squeeze and I suddenly knew what my wish would be. Taking a deep breath, I leaned down and blew out the candles... or tried to at least. One solitary candle remained lit, flickering slightly as it glowed alone on the cake.

"Oooo, one boyfriend!" Leah exclaimed loudly enough for everyone to hear as she nudged me. She then lowered her voice and said, "I wonder who that could be!"

"Oh, shush up!" I laughed, giving her a light shove which knocked her slightly off balance. I then quickly leaned down again and blew out the remaining candle.

"What'd you wish for?" Chris asked. I looked at Leah as I answered him.

"To be able to return the favour and make their special day just as perfect," I replied, ideas already churning in my head. I smiled, feeling so blessed to have such amazing friends.

"So," I turned back to the people before me, the smile still lingering on my lips. "Who wants cake?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren's POV

Kaley's face was absolutely priceless. The pure surprise and happiness that was plastered across her face totally made up for having to get out of bed early that morning.

And the look on her face when I sang to her? I smiled as I thought about it. That was just perfect. It seriously could not have gone more perfectly.

I quickly made my way over to where Kaley, Leah, and Chris were standing. Leah and Chris were busy cutting and handing out pieces of cake to some people while Kaley was being hugged by others. When she finally noticed me standing nearby, she quickly made her way over to me.

"Thank you so much!" she exclaimed, moving as if to hug me, but then stopping suddenly as if she was unsure if she could just hug me.

"You're welcome," I replied, reassuring her by opening my arms to her. She entered my embrace and I gave her a light squeeze. It felt so nice having her there in my arms that I almost didn't want to let go.

"Hey, save some of that hugging for the rest of us!" a familiar voice exclaimed. Kaley broke away from me and turned around to see who had spoken. I chuckled as I realized who it was. It was none other than Mark Salling.

"Happy Birthday, Birthday Girl!" he smiled as he gave her a big bear hug, lifting her off the ground slightly. This caused a small, surprised squeal to escape Kaley's throat and Mark laughed as he set her back down. As he stepped away from her, I noticed that her cheeks had gone slightly red and she quickly ducked her head shyly.

"I can't believe that I'm meeting you right now," she admitted shyly, afraid to meet his eyes. "Are you really the bad boy that everyone says you are?"

"No," Mark replied, his face suddenly becoming very serious. "I'm worse." He said it will such an intensity that he caused Kaley to take a slight step back away from him. There was an awkward silent minute as he just stared at her, his face very dark and serious, before he suddenly broke out in laughter.

"I'm just kidding ya," he grinned. I smiled, knowing this joke of his. He made the same joke constantly, but we never got tired of it because it was just so amusing to watch his face change so quickly from happy to serious. That, and watching other people's reactions.

"That's too bad," Kaley sighed, her eyes suddenly peering up at him very... almost seductive-like. "I'm really into bad boys." I felt my stomach churn uncomfortably as she looked at him that way, but before I could make any comment about it, she suddenly cracked and started laughing.

Mark and I looked at each other, both of us slightly confused. He raised an eyebrow at me, to which I just shrugged and shook my head. I had no clue what had just happened here.

"I'm sorry," Kaley finally said when she stopped laughing.

"Ok, so I'm confused," Mark said slowly. "You're into bad boys?"

"You're not the only one who's good at acting," she replied with a sly smile. It took us both a second to comprehend her comment, but as soon as I got it, a smile spread across my face, Mark's face mirroring mine seconds later.

So Kaley has a sense of humour, I noted. I just kept finding more and more things that I liked about her.

"I like her," Mark commented to me. "You're pretty cool... Kaley, right?" She nodded, still smiling, but more shyly now. "Well, Kaley, since you're into bad boys, you should give me a call sometime and I'll show you what a real bad boy can do." He took her hand and wrote something on it with a pen that he pulled out of his pocket, giving her a quick, playful wink before slipping away to go talk to other people. When she turned back to face me, I noticed that she was biting her lower lip. She kept glancing back down at the ink on her hand as if she didn't quite believe that that had just happened.

"So is this birthday everything that you thought it would be?" I asked her, drawing her attention back to me. She smiled as she looked at me.

"No," she replied with a shake of her head. "It's even more."
♠ ♠ ♠
When I finished writing this, I seriously felt like this has been one of my best chapters (but maybe I just like it so much because it's my dream birthday). There are so many things about this chapter that I just love. Apart from the fact that it's Kaley's birthday and Darren Criss sang to her, she finally got to meet the amazing Mark Salling, whom I adore. If you've ever watched any of his interviews on YouTube, you will understand the joke that I made in this chapter. If not, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wANuEIozgls

So what was your favourite part about this chapter? Please leave me a comment letting me know which parts made you die with laughter or which parts made you scream like a little girl :-p

And shout out time! First and foremost, a shout out to my very amazing and dependable commenter, XDistantDarkPlacesX. I love seeing new comments from you :) I'm trying not to make Ryan a total jerk, because I respect him so much (like hello, he helped create Glee!) but he can be very strict and blunt so I'm trying to show that side of him. I hope that I portray him well. And yes, you are right, it was her birthday :)

Next shout out goes to Kitkat15! I am so happy that you love my story! :) It warms my heart when I get comments like yours <3 I know what you mean about wanting to be Kaley. I'm the one writing this and it's killing me that I'm not her haha It's funny actually, because since I'm so closely and emotionally attached to this story (as Kaley is sort of based off myself and a lot of her qualities are mine), I had actually feel how she does sometimes in this story. I was hurt and mad at Darren for a while, even though I knew that he had never actually done anything mean to me. And then with this chapter, I actually started tearing up when I was writing the surprise scene when she turns and thanks Leah. It's just a story that is so close to my heart that I just can't help becoming totally attached to it <3

Alrighty, well I think that's all I have to say for now. Don't worry, there will be more to come of Kaley's special day, as well as someone else's special day coming up VERY soon :-p It hoped that you enjoyed this Daley update! :-p Thank you so much for continuing to read! <3