Sequel: Who Could Have Known
Status: Complete!

If You Only Knew

It's My Life/Confessions Part II

Kaley's POV

I slowly opened my eyes, wincing slightly as the light hit them. I instantly looked beside me and was relieved to find that I was in my own bed and I was alone... Well, relieved but also slightly disappointed. Though it had caused a lot of trouble, it had felt so good to cuddle up against Darren. A part of me wondered if it was all a dream, if I even had actually woken up in Darren's bed yesterday.

My eyes slowly drifted around my room until they fell on my laptop, which still sat open on my desk.

Did that happen? The cruel words of people who didn't even know me? I reluctantly slid out of bed and went over to the computer, sliding into the black chair before it. I moved my finger over the pad to wake it up and within seconds, I was staring at Vanessa's fan site again. There were even more comments than before.

Lucy T.: Why would Darren cheat on Vanessa with that? Ewww

Dani B.: I heard that she works for him. That must be a fun 'job' #slut

Trina V.: I pity the mother that gave birth to that!

I hurriedly closed my laptop, already starting to feel the tears running down my cheeks. I pushed myself away from the computer, grabbed a change of clothes, and slipped out of my room, escaping to the bathroom before Leah could see me. It was a good thing that she didn't see me, because as I looked at my reflection in the mirror, I realized that she would instantly know that something was wrong. My eyes were bloodshot and puffy and there were tear streaks running down my cheeks.

I should just tell her, I thought as I slipped into the shower. Its warmth made me feel a little bit better, and by the time that I got out, dried off, and dressed, my heart didn't feel as heavy as it did when I had first woken up.

When I looked in the mirror this time, the reflection didn't look as bad. I didn't look like a girl who had just been trashed over the Internet by people who didn't even know her. I tried a smile and was able to pull it off.

Maybe I shouldn't tell her, I argued with myself. Telling her would just upset her and I didn't want to ruin her happiness. I could handle this alone. I didn't want to pull Leah any further into this than she already was. People weren't hating on her as badly as they were on me, or at least not to my knowledge... Oh no, what if Leah was crying in her room right now from hateful messages?

I quickly finished up in the bathroom and then slipped out into the hallway. I knocked on Leah's door and, when I heard nothing, I slowly pushed it open. Her room was empty. I breathed a slight sigh of relief. At least she wasn't curled up in bed crying.

That's where I want to be, I couldn't help the thought from escaping my mind. No! Stop it! You are stronger than this! You are stronger than them! Holding my head up high, I turned around and headed to the kitchen, the next likely place that I'd find Leah.

"Morning, Kaley!" she smiled perkily when I walked in. So far, no sign that she knew anything.

"Sorry about last night," she continued, placing an omelette onto a plate and passing it to me.

"For what?" I asked, gratefully accepting the food. I quickly sat down at the table and hungrily inhaled the food. Since I had fallen asleep, I hadn't had anything to eat since around three yesterday when Leah and I had had our breakfast... which was really more of a lunch... a brunch.

"I kind of peaced out on you yesterday," she said, sitting down at the table with me. "Chris and I ended up talking for hours on the phone and by the time we finally hung up, I found you passed out on your bed, which I can't blame you for, considering everything that happened yesterday." I felt my eyes widen as I looked at her. Did she know about the hate comments? She didn't notice my stare, instead she just continued talking as if nothing was wrong.

"I still can't believe that I slept in the same bed as Chris Colfer," she rambled on. "If you had told me two weeks ago that I would share a bed with Chris and that you would share a bed with Darren, I would have laughed at you, and yet now here we are! The day after waking up in their beds! It's just crazy, right?" I didn't know if she actually expected a response, so I just nodded in reply.

"And if you're worried about the whole picture thing, I'm sure that it will blow over," she continued, taking a bite of her omelette. "Once people realize that nothing happened, things will die down and people will stop trying to figure out who we are."

Oh, if you only knew, Leah, I sighed inwardly. If you only knew...

"Shoot! Look at the time!" she exclaimed suddenly, looking down at her finger watch. "If we don't hurry, we're going to be late!"

"Oh crap! The clothes!" I suddenly realized. We hadn't washed the clothes the other night because we had gone out to the bar, and then yesterday, we had stayed home and I had passed out.

"Oh, no worries about that," Leah laughed, standing up and taking her plate to the sink. "I took care of them last night while you were sleeping. I didn't bother waking you cause I figured that you needed your rest. All we have to do is take them to the dressing rooms once we get there, which means that we need to get going now if we're going to be able to deliver them all in time."

"I'm sure that we could convince the guys into helping us," I said, scooping my last piece of omelette into my mouth. I stood up and gently placed the plate in the sink, quickly taking a mental note to do the dishes when I got home later.

"Ya, you would like that, wouldn't you," Leah teased. I just rolled my eyes at her.

"Oh, shush you!" I laughed, pushing her towards the door. "Come on, let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren's POV

Kaley never called or texted me back yesterday, which worried me. She hadn't even sent me a text this morning.

Did I do something wrong? I wondered anxiously. What if she's avoiding me? Maybe she doesn't want to go for coffee, maybe she doesn't like me, maybe-

"Maybe you should stop worrying and relax," Chris laughed, and I felt my cheeks flush as I suddenly realized that I must have started saying my thoughts out loud.

"Everything's going to be fine," he said, giving me a gentle, comforting pat on the back. "I'm sure that Kaley just forgot to check her phone this morning. Seriously, you worry too much!"

"Maybe you're right..." I sighed.

"Maybe? No, I am right," Chris teased. "Trust me, I know what I'm talking about."

A small beep emitted from Chris' pocket.

"Oh, that must be Leah," he smiled, pulling out his phone. "I told her to text me when she got here... and yep, they're here." He looked up from his phone to smile at me. "Ready to tell Kaley how you feel?"

"I, uh, well, I," I sputtered.

"Come on, Lover Boy," Chris laughed, pushing me towards the laundry room. As I let him lead me there, my nerves started to get the better of me. My insides started to twist with anxiety. I had never felt this nervous before, not even when I performed onstage. Those nerves only grew as soon as Chris pushed me into the room.

"Morning!" Chris greeted cheerfully. Leah greeted him the same way, a smile beaming across her face. But Kaley was no where to be seen.

"Where's Kaley?" he asked, looking around the room.

"Oh, she's gone to take some costumes to the dressing rooms," Leah shrugged, turning back to the pile of clothes that she had been sorting before we had arrived. "She should be back soon."

"Who should be back soon?" Kaley's voice asked. We all turned around to see Kaley standing in the doorway, a slight smile on her lips.

"You," Leah laughed. "The boys were wondering where you were."

"Oh, that's sweet," she said, coming the rest of the way into the room.

"Actually, Darren wanted to ask you something," Chris said, nudging me forward slightly.

"Oh?" She looked at me inquiringly. "And what's that?"

"I, umm, well, uhh, did you get my message?" I stuttered.

"Message?" she asked, giving me an odd look. "Oh sorry, did you text me? Sorry... I haven't really looked at my phone today..." Her voice got a little quiet and a sadness almost seemed to cross her face, but it was gone as quickly as it had appeared.

"So," she said, the smile back on her face. "What was the message for?"

"Well, I was hoping that we could maybe... umm, go for coffee or something?" I asked, hopeful.

"You mean between shows?" she asked. "Umm, sure, yeah, that'd be fun." Her smile seemed almost a little forced. I wanted to ask if everything was okay, but Chris was tugging on my arm, pulling my attention away.

"We'd better get to hair and make up," he said, looking at his phone. "We don't want to be late or else Ryan will kill us."

"Alright," I sighed. The questions would have to wait for later.

"So, I'll see you later then?" I asked, turning back to Kaley.

"Sounds like a plan," she nodded.

"Alright, see you later!" I smiled, turning away to follow Chris out the door.

Now off to see Zayna, I thought as I followed Chris down the hallway. It's time to be Blaineified!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaley's POV

Keeping myself occupied while Darren was onstage was actually harder than I thought it would be. Usually, I would occupy my time with going on my phone and surfing the web, but seeing as all of the hate directed towards me was online, I wanted to stay as far away from it as I could. And since I had no distraction, my mind kept wandering back to what Darren had said in his voicemail (which I had finally found time to listened to).

"I, uh, kinda have something that I want to, uh, talk to you about..." His words played over and over again in my mind. What did he want to talk about? And why did he sound so nervous?

Oh no! I gasped inwardly. What if he saw the comments? What if he agrees with them? I felt like I was going to be sick.

"Kaley?" Leah's voice broke through my thoughts and I opened my eyes (which I hadn't realized I had shut) to look at her. She had a concerned look on her face, her brows knit in worry. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied, forcing a smile on my face. "I think that I'm just still a little tired." She didn't look convinced.

"Really, I'm fine, Leah!" I forced a laugh out, trying to make it sound as real as I could.

"Kaley to Stage Right, please!" a voice suddenly called over the speaker system.

"Opps, gotta go!" I exclaimed, quickly turning and dashing out the door before Leah could question me further. As much as I hated lying to her, I didn't want to drag her into my problems, not when she was so happy with Chris.

I quickly made my way to Stage Right, where I found Vicky waiting for me.

"Hey, you called for me?" I whispered, trying to be as quiet as I could since the show was going on. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Darren dancing around on stage, singing Last Friday Night. The sight of him in his very flamboyant Blaine outfit made the corners of my mouth lift into a smile.

"Yes, I need you to change the batteries on Darren's and Chris' mics when they come off stage," Vicky replied, just as quiet, as she handed me a package of new batteries. "I thought I told James to put new batteries in them, but maybe I didn't or maybe they were just bad batteries. Either way, they both need a new set. Can you handle that?"

I quickly nodded, though inside I felt cold. She had asked James to change their batteries? Why did I have a feeling that he never did? Was he trying to sabotage them?

I didn't have time to consider this theory further as the song had ended and Darren and Chris were coming towards me.

"Turn around and lift up your shirts," I ordered, quickly opening the package in my hands.

"Ooo, wanky!" Naya commented as she passed by.

"Naya!" I exclaimed quietly.

"Naya?" she laughed. "Who's Naya? I'm Santana!" She gave me a playful wink and then, with a toss of her dark brown high-pony, she turned and walked away. I rolled my eyes at her back and silently laughed. Santana had never been one of my favourite characters on Glee, but Naya was nothing like the character that she played. She was actually a really sweet and fun girl.

"Kaley, can you hurry please?" Chris drew my attention back to them. "I really don't want to have to hold my shirt up longer than I have to... I hate exposing my tummy."

"Oh, sorry guys," I laughed, returning my attention on my task. I quickly unhooked Chris' mic pack from his belt, replaced its batteries, and then carefully secured it back on the belt again.

"Thanks," he smiled as he started to walk away, most likely to change for the next number.

Then I turned to Darren. He was waiting patiently with the back of his shirt held up, exposing his lightly sweat-covered back. I felt a sudden urge to run my hand up and down his back, but I resisted, trying to focus my attention on what I was supposed to be doing.

I carefully took his mic pack off of his belt, trying hard not to touch his back, and changed its batteries. But when I went to put the mic pack back on the belt, my hand gently brushed against his back, sending shivers of excitement down my body. And in the quick couple of seconds that our skin was touching, I felt him shiver too.

Did he feel it too? I wondered, pausing for a second.

"Everything okay?" he whispered, looking back over his shoulder.

"Oh, umm, yep!" I replied, quickly securing the mic pack before stepping away. I could already feel the blush rising to my cheeks. "Gotta go, see you later!" I quickly turned and dashed away before he could see how red my cheeks were.

I raced back through the halls, almost running into Harry and Jenna in my hurry.

"Sorry," I apologized, stopping before them. I hadn't had a chance to really talk to either of them very much in the week that we'd been here and they were among the group of cast members who hadn't come to the bar with us the other night.

Harry was taller than I thought he was and he towered over me, staring down at me with his soft brown eyes. His black hair, though short, was spiked up, which made him seem even taller. Jenna, though shorter than Harry, shared the same colour eyes as him. Light brown, almost caramely, streaks highlighted her beautiful, dark, wavy hair.

"Careful there," Harry just laughed. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

"Oh, you know," I smiled. "Just to do typical stagehand stuff."

"You're Kaley, right?" Jenna asked.

"Umm, ya?" I replied. Oh no, had she seen the comments?

"It's nice to finally actually get to meet you!" she smiled, extending a hand to me, which I took and shook. "Lea and Chris won't stop talking about how great of a voice you have, and don't even get me started on Darren! He never stops talking about yo-" She was suddenly silenced as Harry clamped his hand down over her mouth.

"Alright, I think she gets it," he laughed. "Sorry about that."

"All performers for We Are Young to the stage now," a voice suddenly called over the speaker system.

"Opps, looks like we've gotta go," Harry said, smiling apologetically at me. "We should hang out sometime. I think Jenna can agree with me that we'd love to hear you sing sometime."

The next thing I knew, Harry was turning away, pulling a still silenced Jenna along with him. I turned away as well and continued back on my original path back to the laundry room.

When I walked in the room, the first thing that I noticed was that Leah was gone.

That's odd, I thought. I wonder where she went... A yawn suddenly slipped from my lips and I realized that I really was tired. Maybe I just lay down for a couple of minutes. I carefully climbed up onto an empty table and curled up into a little ball.

Just for a couple minutes....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren's POV

"Thanks for coming out today!" I yelled out to the loudly cheering crowd. I took one final bow before running off stage.

"I love you, Darren!" I heard a fan scream as I left the stage. I let out a deep breath and smiled, happy to have completed another perfect show.

"Darren, may I see you for a moment?" I heard Ryan say. I turned around to find him standing behind me, a young blonde standing beside him.

"Darren, this is Julie," he said, gesturing to the girl. She looked up and smiled, her bright, blue eyes twinkling shyly at me. "She's one of the new dancers that we've hired for this week. Would you mind going over the dance moves with her for It's Not Unusual? She's also in the Dinosaur number, but I had Heather go over that with her this morning. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to practice your number earlier, so she wasn't able to be in the first show, but I'm hoping that you can teach her everything for it so that she can join you for the second show."

"Umm, well, I actually had-" I was cut off by a stern look by Ryan. Apparently, I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

"Yeah, no problem," I sighed. "Just give me a second though, okay? I'll be right back."

I didn't bother waiting for his answer, I just left. Luckily, I quickly spotted Chris just out in the hallway.

"Chris, have you seen Kaley?" I asked.

"No, I thought that you two were going for coffee so that you could tell her how you truly feel!" He was teasing me, but I didn't have time for that.

"I can't," I sighed, wanting very badly to run my fingers through my hair. "Ryan practically ordered me to help teach a dance to one of the new dancers, so I won't be able to go. Look, I gotta get back before Ryan sends a search party out for me. Would you mind explaining my situation to Kaley and tell her that I'll make it up to her later?"

"Yeah, no problem," Chris nodded, shooing me away. "Go, before Ryan has a hissy fit."

"Thanks," I smiled as I turned away and headed back to the stage where the new girl, Julie, was waiting.

Hopefully she's a quick leaner so that I'll maybe still be able to talk to Kaley before the next show, I silently wished. I was determined to tell Kaley how I felt today.

No matter what happens, I am telling her today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaley's POV

"Kaley... Kaley..." I could hear someone calling my name, but I didn't want to open my eyes.

"Wake up, Kaley," the voice persisted. I reluctantly opened my eyes as a small yawn slipped from my lips.

"Hi, Chris," I greeted lazily. "Is the show done? Where's Darren?"

"That's why I'm here, honey," Chris sighed. "Darren can't go for coffee. Ryan's making him teach a new dancer the choreography for one of the numbers."

"... Well, that sucks," I sighed as well. "Any idea when they'll be done?"

"Nada," he shook his head.

"Hey Chris, Hey Kaley," Leah's voice suddenly greeted us. We both looked over to see Leah entering the room. "Ready for your coffee date with Darren?"

"We're not going," I sighed. "Darren's stuck teaching someone how to dance and by the time he finishes, there probably won't be enough time to go."

"Well, why don't you go grab some coffees and bring them back here for you guys to have once he's done?" Leah suggested. "Oh, sorry. I mean a coffee and a tea."

"Leah, you're a genius!" I exclaimed, hopping down off the table.

"I know," she smiled.

"I'll see you guys later," I said as I started to head for the door. "Oh, did you guys want anything?"

"Yeah, I'll have a- Ouch!" Chris was cut off as Leah elbowed him hard in the side. They exchanged quick glances with each other in some sort of silent battle, which Leah apparently won as Chris turned back to me.

"No, we're fine," he pouted, shooting another quick angry glare at Leah. "We'll see you when you get back."

"Okay," I laughed. "See ya later!" And with that, I walked out the door, quickly making my way down the hall and out the side door. I waved to Charlie, the security guard on duty, who politely waved back.

The Starbucks actually wasn't that far away. It was only a block or so down the street, so it didn't take me long to get there. As I stood waiting in the line up, I suddenly realized that I didn't actually know what kind of coffee Darren drank. In the end, I decided to chance getting him what his character drank on the show, a medium drip, hoping that he actually liked it too.

It's coffee, I argued with myself. I don't think he'll really care what kind it is... It's all the same to me anyways...

"Hi, what can I get you?" the perky blonde behind the counter asked me.

Someone's had too much coffee, I inwardly chuckled before answering her.

"I'll have a medium drip and a green tea with honey, please," I told her with a smile.

"Alright, that will be-" I didn't wait for her to finish. I just handed her a twenty dollar bill and accepted the change that she gave me. I was starting to feel uncomfortable, like as if someone was watching me. I quickly moved off to the side to wait for my order, willing it to hurry up so that I could leave.

"Umm, excuse me," I felt a tap on my shoulder, so I turned towards the voice. Standing before me was a young girl, maybe about twelve or thirteen. She was looking up at me with shy brown eyes and was nervously twisting her dark brown hair between her fingers.

"Umm, hi," I said, not sure what else to say. "Did you need something?" I moved slightly to the side in case she was trying to get at the cream and sugar dispensers behind me. She didn't move.

"Are you Kaley?" she blurted suddenly, catching me off guard.

"I'm sorry?" I said, a little shocked and surprised by her question.

"Are you Kaley?" she repeated. "Kaley Grant. Darren Criss' new girlfriend."

"Darren's girlfriend?" I sputtered. "I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken. Darren doesn't have a girlfriend. We're just friends."

"So you are Kaley then?" she asked, getting a little excited.

"Please, don't say that so loudly!" I shushed. "Yes, my name is Kaley, but no, I am not Darren's girlfriend. We are just friends."

"Medium drip and green tea with honey?" someone called out behind me. I turned around and accepted the drinks from the guy holding them, giving him a slight thanks before turning back to the girl before me.

"I'm sorry, I've gotta go," I said, moving to pass her.

"Is that for Darren?" she asked, pointing at the coffee. "Blaine drinks medium drips. Does Darren drink them too?"

"I'm sorry, I've really got to go," I repeated, this time passing by her. I did not stop again when she made another comment. I just kept walking.

I hated to be rude like that, but I also hated being questioned about my personal life. She didn't need to know everything that I was doing. No one did.

"Kaley Grant!" a slightly familiar voice called out. I instinctively turned towards the voice and was shocked by who it was. Before me stood a tall, thin brunette. Her wavy. chocolate brown hair framed her scowling face and fell down over her sleek, black designer dress. Thin, six-inch heels elevated her even higher so that she towered over me. Thick, black sunglasses covered her eyes.

It was Vanessa.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry it took me so long to update! I've been sick :( Which has made it hard to focus and write. If you follow me on Twitter, you may have noticed that my account was suspended. I guess I got a little too excited about tweeting out my story link to people and they suspended my account. I made an appeal to Twitter and they said that my suspension would be lifted within an hour or so. This was yesterday evening. When looking into the matter, I found that this has happened to other people and it could take anywhere from 24 hours to a week to get my account back up and running. So unfortunately, I am Twitterless for the next little while. If you need to talk to me, just send me a PM.

I was going to make a comment about tonight's Glee episodes, but seeing as some of you are from other countries, you may not have seen it yet, so I am not going to say anything. All I will say is that I hope that this new chapter update (well more so the one following this one, which will be posted within the next day or so) will help brighten up your day :)

Thank you to all of my incredibly amazing commenters. You guys and your amazing comments give me the inspiration to continue writing. Thank you so much! <3

XDistantDarkPlacesX
Book Worm101
a walking travesty;
zyn
Leah.EmmaLynn.Colfer
zahra auob
nikki299

I was going to post something here about this kind of contest idea that I have.. but I think that I will post it on the next chapter instead, just in case you decided to skip out reading the rest of this A/N. Alright, until the next chapter!! <3