Sequel: Who Could Have Known
Status: Complete!

If You Only Knew

I'll Stand By You

Kaley's POV

The moment that I woke up, I knew that I was not alone and judging by the abs pressed up against my back, it wasn't Leah lying beside me. I didn't need to open my eyes to guess who it was.

"Cuddle monkey," I whispered, snuggling back into his arms. I felt his arms tighten around me as he shifted, leaning closer and pressing his lips against my neck.

"Good, you're awake," he whispered in my ear. "Now we can have some real fun."

"Fun?" I repeated, shifting so that I could turn to face him. "Darren, what do you me-" I froze as his face appeared in front of me.

"James," I gasped, my eyes widening and my heart pounding.

"Good morning, Kaley," he grinned. "You should have realized that I'm not done with you yet. Time to pick up where we left off." He suddenly rolled over so that he was lying on top of me, holding me down to the bed.

"Get off of me!" I yelled, hoping that I was loud enough that someone would hear me. "Leah, help me!"

"Leah can't help you," he grinned, leaning down to slide his tongue up my cheek. "Darren can't help you either. This time you're all alone. This time you're all mine!"

"No!" I screamed, thrashing against him. "Let me go! Help!"

"There's no use fighting it," James laughed. "No one's coming to save you. They don't want to. Why would they? You're nothing to them."

"No," I could feel tears starting to prick my eyes. "You're wrong! They care about me! Darren-"

"Darren?" James scoffed. "You think that he really cares about you? No, he just wanted someone to hook up with. He was single for what, a day?, before he started hitting on you. Face it, Kaley, you're just a hook up to him. Someone that he can kiss and hold so that he doesn't feel lonely while he's stuck here in New York. You know the second that he gets back to L.A. that he'll hook up with someone new. Or maybe he'll go back to Vanessa. When he has a girl that hot wanting to be with him, why would he ever choose to be with you? You're nothing."

"That's not true," I argued, though my voice didn't sound as confident as I wanted it to be. "It's not true. It can't be true."

"Why?" James laughed. "Because you love him? He's just a heartbreak waiting to happen. He'll never love you, Kaley. You're not good enough for him."

"That's not true!" I yelled, trying to ignore the tears that were now rolling down my cheeks.

"You know it is," he smirked.

"Stop it!" I cried, struggling against him. "Leave me alone!"

"Oh, I'm never going to leave you alone, Kaley," he grinned, licking his lips as he leaned down closer so that his face was inches from mine. "I'm going to be with you forever. You're never going to get rid of me. I won't let that happen." He pressed his lips against mine, making bile rise to my throat. I quickly turned my head away, breaking the contact.

"I think that it's time to take things to the next level," James said, placing his hand on my chest and sliding it down lower.

"No!" I screamed. "Help! Please, somebody help me!" His hand had reached the top of my sweatpants. "Stop! Don't touch me!"

"Kaley!" he cried... but it wasn't his voice anymore. "Kaley, wake up!"

My eyes shot open, my vision initially blurred by the tears pooled in them, but as I blinked them away, a face with dark, slicked-back hair appeared.

"Darren," I whispered, almost in disbelief, as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Kaley, it's okay," he said, cupping my cheek with his hand and brushing a tear away with his thumb. "It's okay. It was just a dream. You're okay."

"Oh, Darren," I sobbed, diving forward into his embrace. He held me tightly as I continued to cry, gently rubbing my back and whispering soothing words to me.

"It's okay," he said softly. "I've got you. You're safe now. He can't hurt you." After a couple of minutes, the tears stopped flowing and the room slowly grew quiet as my sobbing became silent. I felt Darren shift slightly and I instantly tightened my hold on him.

"Don't go!" I pleaded, looking up at him.

"I'm not going anywhere," he smiled, reaching a hand up to brush a piece of hair from my face and tuck it behind my ear. "I'm just going to move us a bit so that I can lie down with you. Is that okay?" I slowly nodded and Darren carefully slid his arm under my legs and lifted me as he slid farther onto the bed. He gently set my legs down again as he leaned back against the wall, propping himself up so that I could lean up against him, which I promptly did. He kept his arms firmly around me, but not so tight that they would be uncomfortable, as I snuggled into his side.

"You're okay now, Kaley," he whispered softly, gently stroking my hair. "You're okay. I'm here now."

After a couple minutes of silence, he started to hum quietly, and I slowly looked up at him.

"Will you sing for me?" I asked softly with hopeful eyes.

"For you?" he smiled. "Anything."

He paused for a moment before he slowly started to hum again. After a couple beats, he opened his mouth and started to sing.

Come stop your crying
It will be alright
Just take my hand
Hold it tight

I will protect you from
All around you
I will be here,
Don't you cry

For one so small,
You seem so strong
My arms will hold you,
Keep you safe and warm

This bond between us
Can't be broken
I will be here,
Don't you cry

'Cause you'll be in my heart
Yes, you'll be in my heart
From this day on
Now and forever more

You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart
Always

Why can't they understand the way we feel?
They just don't trust
What they can't explain

I know we're different but
Deep inside us
We're not that different at all

And you'll be in my heart
Yes, you'll be in my heart
From this day on
Now and forever more

Don't listen to them,
Cause what do they know
We need each other,
To have, to hold
They'll see in time
I know

When destiny calls you,
You must be strong
I may not be with you,
But you've got to hold on
They'll see in time
I know

We'll show them together cause

You'll be in my heart
Believe me, you'll be in my heart
I'll be there from this day on,
Now and forever more

Oh, you'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
I'll be with you,
You'll be in my heart,
Always

Always
I'll be with you
I'll be there for you always
Always and always

Just look over your shoulder
Just look over your shoulder
Just look over your shoulder
I'll be there for you always
Always


He leaned his head down and kissed me gently on my forehead.

"I'm always going to be there for you, Kaley," he whispered softly. "You mean so much to me and I promise that I'm always going to do everything in my power to keep you safe."

"I know," I smiled. "And thank you. For that and the song."

"Any time," he smiled back.

"Darren?" I tilted my head up to look at him.

"Yes, Kaley?" he asked, looking down at me.

"Can we watch Tarzan?" I asked.

"Of course we can," he laughed, suddenly sliding his arm under my legs again and picking me up.

"I can walk, you know," I joked as he stood up and carried me out of the bedroom and towards the living room.

"I know," he grinned. "But it's much more fun this way." He set me down gently on the couch and straightened back up.

"Do you want anything to eat or drink?" he asked, walking over towards the kitchen.

"That'd be great," I smiled, leaning over the back of the couch to watch him. "You sure seem to know your way around." He looked back at me and smiled at the comment.

"Leah was very thorough in showing me where everything was so that I'd be able to get you whatever you needed," he explained, pulling out a pot from one of the lower cupboards.

"Aww," I frowned. "I was hoping to be the one to show you around."

"You can give me another tour once you're feeling better," Darren replied, pulling out the kettle as well. "Leah did do a pretty good job of showing me around, but I think that I'll like my second tour the best. I love your room, by the way. I'm guessing that you have a thing for monkeys?"

I blushed slightly at his comment, biting my lip.

"Yeah, they're kinda my favourite animal," I replied.

"I'll have to remember that," he grinned, throwing a wink over in my direction. "Favourite animal is a monkey, favourite colour is blue..."

"You remember that?" I gasped.

"Of course," he smiled. "How could I forget something as important as that? Someday I could be trying to buy you an outfit or something and if I didn't know, then I would end up picking the wrong colour and end up in the dog house! We can't have that now, can we?"

Someday? My heart skipped a beat at his words. Someday implied a long time in the future, implying that Darren believed that we would still be together in the future. I suddenly got a lot more hopeful for where our relationship was going.

It's going to last, I smiled. We will make it work.

"Chicken noodle soup and green tea with honey," Darren announced as he set a tray down on my lap. He then quickly went over to the movie stand in the corner and pulled Tarzan out, quickly putting it into the DVD player before returning to the couch and plopping down beside me. He gently put his arm around me and I instantly leaned into his side as the movie started to play.

When You'll Be In My Heart started to play, I reached for Darren's hand and gave it a light squeeze. He sang along with the song, pressing a light kiss to my forehead when it ended.

It doesn't matter what people throw at us or what people think, I smiled to myself, sneaking a glance up at Darren. As long as we have each other, then everything's gonna be alright.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren's POV

I smiled as the movie slowly came to an end.

"I love Disney movies," I smiled, looking down at Kaley, who I realized was fast asleep again. I sighed as I brushed a piece of hair from her face.

I hope that she doesn't have another nightmare, I thought as I watched her breath in and out. She looks so peaceful right now... I want to make that creep pay for what he did to her. No one deserves to have that happen to them, especially not Kaley. It's not fair that she has to go through all of this... I sighed again as I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

When she had first started screaming, I had actually thought that someone else had been in the room with her, but when I found her alone, thrashing around in her bed and screaming in her sleep, my heart had broken. Though what had happened was past, Kaley was still haunted by it.

My eyes shot open as Kaley let out a small moan in my arms. Her face twisted into a grimace as her body tensed and her breathing quickened. I gently stroked her hair and whispered calming words to her, then quietly started humming the song again, which seemed to help as her face softened and her body relaxed.

How long will she have to battle with this? I wondered, my lips falling into a frown as her breathing returned to normal. How long until she's able to sleep peacefully without him haunting her dreams?

A sudden bump at the door caught my attention and I gently eased out from under Kaley, carefully moving her so that she was lying down on the couch, and went to the door, which was slowly opening.

"Hi, Darren," Leah smiled as she slipped in through the door, gently closing it behind her. "How's Kaley doing?"

"She's sleeping again," I replied quietly. "She's been having nightmares, but I've found that singing helps to calm her if she starts making noises."

As if on cue, Kaley let out a soft cry. I quickly dashed back to her, crouching down and stroking her hair as I whispered, "It's okay, I'm here" and started humming again. She slowly quieted down again.

"I think the singing helps ground her," I explained. "Reminds her that she's just dreaming, that none of it's real."

"What was she dreaming about?" Leah asked.

"What do you think?" I sighed, standing up again. "She kept screaming for him to get away and leave her alone."

"Poor girl," Leah sighed. "I wish there was something that I could do to help her."

"Just be there for her," I said, walking over and picking up the scooter keys from off the table. I had ridden Kaley's scooter back here because I figured that it would be quicker than waiting for the limo. Plus, I had never gotten a chance to drive it. I would never say it to her, but Kaley could be a bit of a scooter hog.

"I should get going," I sighed, not really wanting to leave.

"Yeah, you don't want to be late for your show," Leah nodded.

"I'll be back right after," I said as I walked towards the door and put on my shoes that I had left there. "I'm probably going to stay here tonight."

"Do you want me to make up the couch for you?" Leah asked, following me back to the door.

"No," I grinned. "I think that I'll be fine." My eyes flickered back to where Kaley was on the couch. "I'll be back as soon as I can, okay?"

"Chill, Darren," Leah laughed. "I've known Kaley for years. I know how to take care of her. We'll be fine."

"Alright," I sighed, opening the door. "I'll have my cell close by if you need me."

"Go, Darren!" Leah ordered, ushering me out the door. "I've got this. Now go put on your Blaine face and be Gleetastical. Kaley will still be here when you get back."

"Ok," I replied. "See you soon."

"Bye, Darren," she replied, gently shutting the door behind me, which was probably a good thing or else I probably would have stayed there for at least another ten minutes.

She'll be fine, I told myself. Go do the show and then come back. I grinned as I looked at the closed door. In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'll be back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris' POV

Where is he? I sighed, watching the corner anxiously, waiting for Darren to appear around it. I quickly glanced down to look at the time. The show goes up in twenty minutes! Where is he?!

Just as I though that, I heard the low hum of a scooter quickly approaching.

"Finally!" I said as Darren came flying around the corner on the black scooter. Darren smiled when he saw me, raising his hand to wave, which caused the scooter to wobble slightly, so his hand instantly shot back down to the handles again.

He's such a dork, I smiled to myself as I watched him get closer. And closer. And closer. Too close!

"Pull the brakes!" I yelled at him as he quickly drew closer. "No, the other brake! Yes, that one!" I cringed as Darren slowed to a stop, just inches from hitting the wall.

"You're a maniac!" I told him as I walked over. "How long have you been driving that thing?"

"This is only my second time," he grinned, pulling off his helmet. "Kaley doesn't like to share, so I'm milking every chance that I can get." I just rolled my eyes at him.

"Come on, we have to go get you ready," I sighed. "We don't have much time left."

"I'm coming, I'm coming," he chuckled, holding the handles as he stood and started to hop off of the scooter. As he did, his hand accidentally turned the handle, making the scooter move forward and crash into the wall.

"Darren!" I exclaimed, rushing over and pulling the key from the ignition. "You have to turn it off before you get off!"

"Opps," he blushed.

"Let's see what the damage is," I sighed, signalling for him to roll the scooter back so that I could look at its front. I crouched down and ran my hand over the front, carefully rubbing my fingers over a slight scuff mark.

"Could be worse," I said as I stood back up. "But Kaley's still going to kill you."

"She won't kill me," he retorted. "She loves me to much to do that."

"Oh, she loves you now, does she?" I grinned.

"Yes," Darren replied confidently. "Well, she's never actually told me that she loves me but I can feel it, you know? It's in the way that she looks at me and stuff. The way that she says my name. I know because it's exactly how I feel when I look at her."

"So what you're saying is that you love her," I smiled, forcing myself not to aww.

"Yeah," Darren blushed, ducking his head slightly to hide his reddening cheeks. "I do."

"Have you told her yet?" I asked eagerly.

"No," he shook his head. "There hasn't been a good time yet. I want it to be perfect when I tell her, really romantic, you know? I know that Kaley is totally into the cheesy romance stuff, so I want to be able to make it perfect for her." He let out a soft sigh as his fingers instantly reached up to his head to run through his hair, but he stopped himself just in time to prevent his heavily gelled hair from getting messed up. He quickly dropped his hand back down and fiddled with his fingers nervously.

"I just really want to make it special," he said softly. "I know that I haven't known her for very long, but it... things just feel right with her. I feel the happiest whenever I'm around her. She's never made me feel like I have to pretend to be someone that I'm not. She's not using me for fame like some people would. Heck, she's freaked out of even being in the spotlight!"

"There's just so much about Kaley that I love. I love the way that she makes me feel. I love the way that her smile lights up the whole room. I love the way that when she looks at me, I just feel like everything's going to be okay. I just love everything about her and I can't even picture the idea of us not being together."

"I hope that you landed okay," I grinned. "Because you've definitely fallen and you've fallen hard, my friend. And I couldn't be happier for you. Kaley is a great girl and she really does suit you. I really hope that what you have lasts. You know that it's going to be hard on both of you, her being here and us being in L.A., right? Have you thought about that at all?"

"Yeah, I have," he nodded slowly. "And I have a few ideas of things we could do. It's going to be hard, but it will be worth it. I don't want to lose her, Chris. She just means so much to me. I love her."

"Then she's a very lucky girl," I replied with a smile. "To have a guy like you love her."

"No, I'm the lucky one," he replied with a grin. "To have a girl as amazing as her to love."

"Yes," I replied softly. "You are both very lucky."

"Hey, don't worry, Chris," Darren said, patting me gently on the back. "There's someone out there for you too! Someone who will be just as lucky to have such an incredible guy like you to love them."

"Yeah, someone..." I sighed softly. "Darren, I-"

"There you two are!" a very angry voice accompanied the sound of a door slamming open. We both looked over to see a very upset Ryan standing in the doorway.

"Sorry, Ryan," I apologized, grabbing Darren's arm and dragging him past the angry producer. "We'll be ready in five minutes."

"You'd better be!" he snapped. "The show goes up in seven!"

"I really wish that he hadn't decided to stay for the second week as well," Darren sighed once we were out of earshot. "Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but when he's stressed, he can be a pain in the buttocks!"

"Agreed!" I laughed.

"So, what were you going to say back there?" he asked suddenly.

"What?" I blinked, surprised that he was asking.

"You were about to say something to me before Ryan burst in," Darren explained. "Or I guess I should say burst out, since we were outside."

"Oh, that," I replied calmly. "It was nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Alright," he shrugged, ducking into his dressing room. "If you say so. See you in a few!"

"Be quick!" I called out as he shut the door behind him, leaving me alone to my thoughts.

There's someone out there for you too. Someone who will be just as lucky to have such an incredible guy like you to love them. Darren's words played over in my mind.

Someone. Not he or him, but someone. Them. I found it amusing that Darren didn't classify my special someone into a certain gender.

And maybe he's right by doing that, I smiled to myself. Because maybe, just maybe, my special someone isn't the someone that you would expect...
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!! Another new chapter!!! I cannot thank you guys enough for your continual love and support for this story. I'm back in school now, so I'll try to update as often as I can, but please don't hate me if I'm delayed in posting.

You guys seriously make it a thrill to continue writing this story. I love all of your reactions to what's happening and your comments seriously make my day!

Thank you to my ever amazing commenters: airplanes__, zyn, Loor, and new commenter luvergurl010. I'm so thrilled by your response to my story and I hope that you will continue to support it :)

Thank you, from the bottom, middle, and top of my heart <3