Lam

One Shot

Sam's POV:

"Sam, bro. Calm down. You'll figure something out." One of my best friends, Cole, shouted from across the house.

He was raiding the fridge and trying (emphasis on trying) to be helpful. But really he was just making me think too much. But I had to figure something out. Leah was probably getting ready for the concert as I paced the room. She was probably already showered, and dressed in something that complimented her beauty perfectly. There wasn't enough time in the world to imagine the combinations of outfits she could wear that would make me stare at her like she was a goddess. But yet again, she could wear a trash bag and she'd still look like a goddess.

Leah and I went way back. I mean, WAY back. Her mom and my mom were best friends. They were inseparable and that, in turn, made us inseparable. We were forced to spend hours a day together, although we enjoyed it, and often times I went home sobbing to stay with her for just ten more minutes. I was present for everything in her life. We went to school together, although she was in a different grade than me, but I still managed to walk her to class every day. I even held her hand, ignoring the teasing and stares from my classmates.

Every sporting event she had, I was sitting in the bleachers with a perfect view of her. I'd cheer for her until my throat turned scratchy. Every ballet and piano recital, I'd bring her a flower that my mother picked for me out of her garden. After I'd hand it to her, she'd whisper a soft 'thank you' then slide it behind her ear. She was always the most beautiful girl to me at any event. She glowed with softness and beauty like no one else I ever knew.

But she never saw me in any way other than the boy she grew up in the sandbox with. And tonight I was going to make her see a different side of me. A side she'd want to spend the rest of her life with. I just didn't exactly know how to go about doing that. My bandmates were all rooting for me though, like the good guys they were. They were spouting out ideas left and right but none of them, although appreciated, were perfect. I needed perfection for Leah. Because perfection deserved perfection.

Then it hit me. I was an idiot. I had wrote the song for her, why not play it FOR her. So I sat up a camera and sang. As I was finishing the last lines of the song more ideas came to me and I knew by the end of the night, the girl of my dreams would be mine.

"Leah. I left you two tickets with backstage passes to the concert at the Starbucks two blocks from your house. Take the subway to the venue, I already paid. Just say your name, and enter in through the side doors. I have a surprise for you." I pressed the STOP RECORD button and grinned to myself. Next was to send the video to her. Why couldn't I ever think of anything creative? Then I facepalmed. I really was an idiot. Facebook.

I uploaded the video, drumming my fingers on the computer table. What if she didn't see it? What if she was already on her way to the concert and I lost her in the crowd. What if... There were so many what ifs. I posted the link on her Facebook Wall and five minutes later, it had a like from her and I smiled. Everything was working perfectly.

The boys and I got ready and left for the show and a second didn't go by where I wasn't picturing the smile on Leah's face when she saw that video.

Leah's POV:

Meghan, my best friend, and I sat on my bed painting our toes when the link appeared. It was a video. And it was Sam. Why was he sending me a video two hours before his band's concert? Idiot. I pressed PLAY and watched silently. Meg peeked around my shoulder and I could feel her breathing stop when she saw who it was. After it was over she smiled slyly at me and chuckled.

"What?" I said.

I was already annoyed and we still had the whole night to spend together. I couldn't handle her for that long.

She rolled her eyes, "Sammy boy wants you, Lee, and if you don't see it now..."

"Um. No. Sam and I are FRIENDS. Have been since we were in diapers. Nothing has, is, and ever will be going on with us."

But even as I said that, and she rolled her eyes again, I knew I was lying. I had pined for Sam since I saw him change from the scrawny Junior High boy, to the cool High School kid. Sam and I only got to spend one year of high school together, I blinked, and he was gone. Already making his dream come true with his best friends. It was completely unfair. I was jealous of his age, and his talents. I had nothing. I could play a few notes on the piano and I wasn't too bad at dancing, but I wasn't Sam. He had everything. Looks, talent, he was nice to everyone. All the parents loved him. I loved him.

"Come on. We need to pick up the stuff Sam left for us and head over there" I applied a last and hopeful coat of mascara and left the house, leaving Meg whining behind me.

"Slow. Down. I'm. In. Heels." She panted behind me.

"Your choice, not mine." I shouted and pointed at my TOMS. After we picked up the tickets and passes, the cashier at Starbucks grinned at me. I left, confused. Everyone was acting so weird today.

Once the long ride on the subway was over, we raced three blocks to the venue. I looked at the entrance and there was a sign with an arrow in Sharpie pointing to the ally where I assumed the side doors would be located. I smiled to myself and jogged to the doors. I had never been to this building before. All the concerts here were usually bands that had been playing way longer than Sam and the boys had. I was proud of them for booking such a big gig.

As I entered the doors, I could hear the roar of the crowd. Sam was singing the song on the video and I felt the butterflies build in my stomach. I looked around and realized where I was. Left stage. Meg squealed as one of the security guards approached.

"This way, Leah." He placed his hand on my shoulder and led me closer to the stage, "Sam wants you up there with him."

I looked up at him, confused, and felt Meg push me forward. As I took my first steps on stage, the crowd grew even more loud. People started calling out for Sam and pointing at me. And when he finally realized, he looked over at me and stopped the song, mid-verse. He turned to me, and smiled. Then he grabbed the mic and a sound tech came up behind me and placed a mic in my hand. I lifted it up.

"Sam. What are you doing." I asked, confused.

"Leah, we've been best friends for as long as I can remember. There's never been a time where I haven't considered you my absolute best friend. Until recently," He paused for a second and watched the expression on my face. "Lee, I don't want to be your friend anymore."

I gasped and let it hit me. He didn't want me anymore. He was sick of me. I was an annoying little girl who had big dreams and he was done being the one to watch me chase them. Even when my dreams included him. I felt tears form in my eyes and bowed my head in shame, knowing I'd lost my best friend.

"I-I-I don't understand." I spoke softly, the microphone barely picking up my voice.

"LeeLee, I love you. I have since I saw you grow from the girl exploring the woods, picking flowers, to the girl who could hold her own. There came a time when I realized you wouldn't need me anymore in a few years. You'd become so strong and independent. Somewhere in the middle of realizing all of that, I fell in love. You weren't just a girl to me anymore. You were someone I wanted to be with. And I knew the only reason I could get you to keep me in my life, was to tell you this and hope you'd want me like I want you. I want to be yours tru-"

I took slow steps forward as he was rambling, then wrapped my arms around his neck. He stopped mid-word and looked down at me and grinned. I smiled back up at him and nodded.

"Yours truly" I whispered up to him.

He lowered his lips to mine and kissed me sweetly. This was how it was supposed to be. How it was always meant to be. And how I wanted it to be forever.

We walked out that night, hand in hand, ready to start a new chapter in life as more than just best friends. Everything was perfect. And I let Sam's words run through my mind again and again, knowing they were meant for me.

Because it's impossible to fly without wind on your wings
You're the air that I breathe and the songs that I sing
Without you I never found much to believe
But you taught me to be the person that I'm meant to be
So maybe for once we can settle the score
Because the road to my home leads me straight to your door
Through all of these years I've never been anything more
Than yours truly...
♠ ♠ ♠
Follow:

Leah: http://putupandshutup.tumblr.com

&&

Me: http://anchor-us-down.tumblr.com

Message me for a story suggestion!

Enjoy <3