Status: To be rewritten very soon! :)

About a Girl

Or perhaps in Slytherin, you'll make your real friends...

It was very dark out when we arrived at the station in Hogsmeade. My grandparents told me everything I had to know about arriving there. An old man with shabby robes was calling all the first years towards him. The first years travelled by giant boats. Remus, Mildred, Lily and I got one boat. I introduced Lily to Remus and Mildred.

It took a few minutes to get to the shimmering castle. It was glowing in the night's sky. The building was huge and a bit intimidating.

"First thing I might do here is draw a map!" Remus joked, getting all of us to laugh.

When we got onto dry land, many of us rushed to the great oak doors. Inside was as beautiful as I imagined it would be. Paintings everywhere, some moving, some not.

A dainty witch came over to us. She looked stern and strict. Not someone to mess with. Nevertheless she gave us a smile and lead us into a small room near two more giant oak doors.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, first years! We hope you enjoy your stay! I am Professor McGonagall. I teach Transfigurations, I am Deputy Headmistress, and I am also head of Gryffindor house. In just a moment, we will be going into the Great Hall to have you all sorted. Now, form a line and follow me."

Her speech was grand. We were all mesmerised by what we had just witnessed. It was now time to be sorted. I felt pretty nervous. It would seal my fate for seven years.

The Transfigurations teacher opened the double oak doors and led us down the Great Hall. Four long tables were what took up most of the giant room. The ceiling looked like the sky outside. I wondered if it were enchanted.

We arrived near the staff table, which faced the four house tables, and Professor McGonagall produced a three-legged stool, and a battered and patched up wizard's hat. Placing the hat on the stool, a flap near the bottom opened up, and the old hat began to sing:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can top them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a steady mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!
"

After much applause from the whole school, Professor McGonagall piped up.

"When I call your name, please come forward, put the hat on your head and sit down. Once it calls out your house, head over to your future house mates at the corresponding tables. Aaron Anchorage!"

The first person to be sorted. He was skinny, blonde and pale. He looked kind of spooked. I guessed him to be a muggle-born.

The hat and the boy thought a conversation to themselves quietly, when finally, the hat spoke up:

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

The black and yellow tabled cheered the loudest, and the young boy rushed over to them.

"Sarah Atkinson!"

She was sorted into Ravenclaw. Bertram Aubrey followed her also into Ravenclaw.
Slytherin got Beauregard Avery. Gryffindor got Sirius Black.

The list got closer and closer to Mildred. Finally, it was her turn. She looked pretty nervous.

The hat had hardly enough time to be placed upon her head when it shouted:

"SLYTHERIN!"

She looked somewhat disappointed when it said that. I hoped everything would be okay with her in that house. Slytherins also got Danny Craddle, Rebecca Deadra. Alice Fortescue was in Gryffindor. Finally, I heard the two words which happen to be my name:

"Eléonore DesJardins!"

I felt my stomach churn and my knees shake as I made my way to the wobbly seat. The hat was placed upon my head. A weird warming sensation began in my ears, and it went higher and higher.

"Hmmm...you are a brave young witch. Very wise and from an old family. Your father is of pureblood, whereas your mother is a muggle-born. You are quite the ambitious little witch, and somehow you always get your way. I believe you belong in only one house..." The sound of the hat's voice resonated in my head.

"SLYTHERIN!"

I was shocked...

At least I'd be with Mildred. Speaking of the girl, she seemed very pleased with me being in the same house as her. I hoped that Remus would somehow make his way into our house as well.

Lily was sorted in Gryffindor. So was Remus...It was horrible.

Derrick Lyme and Terra Mecha were sorted in Hufflepuff. Dana McIntosh was sorted in Ravenclaw. James Potter was sorted in Gryffindor. Peter Pettigrew followed him into the house of the brave.

It came down to Severus Snape. I had been acquaintances with Snape since we were little. I was glad when the Sorting Hat put him in Slytherin. He seemed upset by the Sorting Hat's choice. The raven haired young boy smiled slightly when he noticed me. I blushed slightly.

Iglesias Swicker was sorted in Gryffindor, and Lisa Terrings was a new Hufflepuff. Rachelle Xenave was in Slytherin, Waldo Wilson was the last to be sorted and he landed in Ravenclaw.

...Then it hit me, I was a snake.