Status: Completed

Coffee Grounds

Chapter Four

Lucas paced back and forth a block or two away from the Starbucks. His chest tightened at the thought of seeing Amy again. He had loved her… he was going to marry her. He didn’t know that from the beginning.

One day she just looked at him, her eyes whispering that she would never leave him – that she would love him and never say goodbye, that’s when he knew. A few weeks later he woke up to her sitting on the floor with her head in her hands, her eyes raw and a few days later he woke up to a note “I’m sorry. I’m scared. I’m tired. I’ll see you soon.” He knew Amy was gone.

Lucas had never been bitter with her. He still wasn’t, but he realized that he couldn’t meet her at Starbucks at five o’clock that night. The two weren’t meant to be together, but they also weren’t meant to have a true definite end – something this coffee shop on the corner of 74th and Amsterdam would give them.

They were meant to be two people who never said goodbye to each other.

Amy sat in the corner of Starbucks, sipping on her drink with a cautious tongue. It was close to seven now and Lucas hadn’t shown up. She knew that he wouldn’t, she knew that he shouldn’t. He had always been the smart one.

Amy let a small tear gather in her eye. It was okay that he wasn’t there. Even Peter Pan had to grow up at some point.

Amy closed her eyes. ‘Goodbye’ she mouthed, barely audible as she stood up, leaving behind Neverland.