Four Weeks to Live

Survival

“Fancy meeting you here.” He laughed, getting off and helping me to my feet.

“Yes, what a coincidence.” I replied, trying to stop myself from bleeding. “Sorry I tried to kill you.”

“No problem. I probably shouldn’t have snuck up on you.” He started to nurse his own wounds, as well as help me with mine. I apparently dug my knife into his head, leaving a gash just above his eyebrow. We both had many other cuts and bruises, including one I had on my cheek from the knife he’d taken from me.

“So, what have you been up to in the past 24 hours?” He asked. I noticed that it was starting to get a little bit lighter. We’d been in the games for almost an entire day and neither of us were dead. I considered that a small victory.

“Oh, not much. Walking around, climbing, sleeping, failing to hunt, daydreaming. How about you?” I said, starting to walk away and motioning for him to follow me. I had to find somewhere to stay for the day.

“Looking for food, mostly. I’ve been looking for you, too.” He said. I blushed a little bit, remembered the time he’d said I was cute when I blushed, and blushed a bit more. He was looking for me.

“I’m going to find a place to stay for the day if you want to join me.”

“You’re moving at night too?”

“Yeah.”

“I say we just find a big hole in the ground. Maybe no one will think to look there.”

“That’s not a bad idea. Lets look and meet back here in about an hour.” I suggested. He nodded and went off to the right. I went left and started scouring the ground for any sign of a hole big enough for both of us. All I found at first was leaves and patches of grass, as well as the odd flower or two. I came to a large clearing with lots of puddles. They were deep enough that if we were to scoop the water out, both Moss and I would probably fit inside. After observing a rabbit drinking from a puddle before collapsing and dissolving to a pile of fur, insides, and bone, I decided it would be better to leave the puddles alone.

After what felt like an hour, I started walking back to our meeting place. Moss was already there.

“I found the perfect place.” He said, leading me towards a small opening in the ground.
It looked about big enough for one of us to stand in.

“I don’t think it’s big enough.” I replied.

“Just wait.” He started to carefully work his way down the hole before disappearing completely. I reluctantly followed him. About halfway through, I lost my footing an slipped. Moss caught me before I reached the bottom. I looked around the massive cave we were in. Sparkling gems lined the walls, and holes in the ceiling provided plenty of light. It was beautiful.

“Big enough?” He asked.