Four Weeks to Live

Cave

I had just finished clearing out a small corner for us to sleep in when Moss returned. He’d gone out to look for food and water.

“I found some plants that are safe. There’s also a spring near by, but I didn’t have anything to carry the water with. We’ll just have to go to it when we need a drink.” He said, placing a bundle of berries and leaves on the ground.

“Guess what I haven’t seen down here?” I asked him.
He shrugged and said “I don’t know. Trees?”

“Cameras. There aren’t any black dots in the walls. I don’t think they can see us.”

“Do you know what that means?”

“We have privacy?”

“No. It means we can live down here. The two of us. We can just cut our trackers out and be here forever.” He said enthusiastically. It was the perfect idea... but so flawed at the same time.

“They know how to drive us out. Even if they can’t see us, they have plenty of ways to get us out of here.”

“They won’t know we’re here if we take out the trackers.”

“They’ve got cameras outside. Every time we need food they’ll see us.”

“You’re right... sorry for suggesting such a stupid thing.”

“It’s fine, it was a good idea. It just needed a little more thought.”

“Somewhere in the arena, someone is dead.” I thought as I heard the cannon sound. Moss was sleeping while I kept watch. It was boring outside, seeing as everyone else was trying not to be seen. Apparently, one person had done a very poor job of that. I watched the rise and fall of Moss’ chest for a while before realizing that it was a very creepy thing to do and turning back around. I wished Moss was right in what he had said earlier. I wished we could stay there, peaceful and content. I heard a scream in the distance, but no cannon. They’d probably just gotten scared by some sort of creature.

“Do you want to sleep now?” Moss asked from behind me. I nodded and traded places with him. He hugged me and said goodnight, grabbing the knife from me so he wouldn’t be completely defenseless. Our lack of actual weapons would end up being a problem.

I dreamt I was home again that day, only Moss was there with me. He was sitting in the corner, reading a book and smiling while I was looking after a small child. There were photographs of us lining the walls, looking happy and smiling. I stared at them for a moment before turning my attention back to Moss. He’d dropped his book and his smile had faded as his eyes started dripping blood. It ran down his face and neck while he slowly got paler and paler. I tried to get up and help him, but I couldn’t move an inch. I screamed his name, hoping it would somehow save him, but it didn’t. I woke up in our cave covered in sweat, Moss looking at me with worry.

“It was just a dream.” I told myself. “Just a dream.”