Four Weeks to Live

Animal

It had been nearly two days since we had last heard the boom of a cannon, which had been a signal of Griffin’s death. It had also been six days since the games began. In an odd way, I’d gotten a little used to my new daily routine. Wake up at sunset, collect food and get water with Moss, scavenge for any weapons that had been dropped, explore the other tribute’s locations, get back to the cave, watch the sun rise, take turns sleeping. It was a simple way of surviving. It was nice. Peaceful. Moss and I enjoyed chatting during the times we were both awake. I was in the middle of arranging the plants Moss had collected into piles when I heard a sound. It was like a low howl. It didn’t sound like any animal I’d ever seen or heard. Moss must’ve noticed it. I could tell by the way he came running back from the spring.

“We have to get out of here.” He said quickly.

“What is it?” I asked, gathering up the food and knives. The look on his face told me not to wait.

“Never mind that, run. It’s coming this way. I’ll explain later.” He grabbed my hand and led me out the exit. Not so far away, I saw a large furry creature. It was running towards us on four legs and moving faster than either of us could ever hope to run. I followed Moss as fast as I could, just managing to keep up with him.

“Come on, faster!” He shouted, weaving in between the trees. I knew that even at our fastest, we couldn’t hope to outrun the beast. He must’ve know that. He must’ve had a plan.

“A little farther!” He screamed, a little farther ahead than I would’ve liked. The trees started thinning out, and I could see the familiar grey of the mountain up ahead.

“Almost!” He yelled as he jumped onto a ledge. His hand was ready to help me up before I got caught by the animal’s hideous jaws. I knew it was far too close when I could see its claws. I grabbed his hand just in time to escape being horribly mauled, but not quick enough so the animal wouldn’t leave a few gashes in my leg with its claws.

“Everything is alright... it’s all going to be alright.” Moss said, holding me close. The ledge was barely big enough for both of us. We stopped the bleeding with a couple of our plant leaves. He told me about the wolves. Sometimes a couple of people had spotted them in the woods outside his district. There was a girl who used to tell some people stories about them. She was a hunter, and had once saved Moss’ entire family from starving. There was also a boy who had seen the wolves as well, but he didn’t tell stories. He said the boy and the girl were best friends, just like we were. We weren’t friends anymore, though.

“We’re so much more than that.” He whispered to me as I fell asleep next to him.