Four Weeks to Live

Weapons

I woke up to find that Moss was no longer by my side. What replaced him was a pile of shiny new blades, a bow and some arrows. It was already nighttime and the moon was high in the sky. I didn’t dare call him, for fear that it would wake someone up and get him killed. He came back a few minutes later, some sort of dead animal in his hand.

“You’ve been busy.” I said, looking over the impressive amount of weapons he had most likely taken from other tributes.

“Yeah. I guess you could say I’ve got quick hands.” He smiled. He started skinning the animal as we sat together on the little ledge.

“Where are we going to stay when day comes?” I asked.

“Maybe we could work our way up the mountain. There might be more caves like our last one.” He responded. I nodded and started to gather the weapons up so none fell.

“You do realize this is going to cause quite a lot of fighting between the other tributes, right?”

“Yeah. At least we’re well prepared for it now.”
I counted up the weapons, just to see what we had. Seven new knives, two knives from before, a bow, and twenty seven arrows.

“Took the squirrel from the District 3 girl.” Moss said. “We’re going to need a fire to cook it with.”
I nodded and told him that we should probably wait until daytime so we wouldn’t get caught.

“Good point.” He said, taking a leaf to eat. “I also got this.” He pointed to a large canteen. “We’re going to need a ton of water if we’re going to hike up this mountain.”

We’d starting climbing up the mountain right after Moss finished with the rabbit. We hadn’t seen anyone else so far, but neither of us could tell if that was good or bad. Hiking up a mountain is a lot harder than going down.

“The sun’s coming up. We should find somewhere to stay.” I said as we reached yet another small cliff. There were tons of them, all barely big enough for both of us.

“Here’s fine, I guess. It’s not like anyone will come and attack us this high up. Besides, one of us will be guarding the other.” He responded, putting our things down in a small corner. He was the first to sleep, so I decided to try to make a fire. It was light enough out that it wouldn’t be too noticeable. It was cold, too. We could both use the warmth.