Four Weeks to Live

Parade

The ride to the Capitol was boring and long. All anyone did was sleep and eat. Griffin attempted to start conversations several times, but never succeeded. He seemed like he was trying to make the best of things. When we got to the train station in the Capitol, the crowd was cheering, all eager to watch us die. We only saw them for a short time before we were forced into a building. Three people each dragged us away and started fussing over our looks. My legs and arms were waxed clean, my hair was lifted into some loosely braided pigtails, and my nails were painted light blue with small white stripes. I was then shoved into a different room, where a woman looked me over, not once attempting to make conversation. That was one thing I was thankful for. She shoved me into a dress colored like the sky, with train tracks winding their way around. A conductor's cap was placed on my head.

“There. Transportation at its finest. Now go out there and smile for the camera.” She said, clapping a little to herself. I was led to a chariot where Griffin was waiting for me.

“Nice outfit.” He said with a smile. He was wearing a similar one, but he got pants and a shirt instead of a dress. I wished I was wearing pants too.
The people from the other districts were arriving as well. The District 7 tributes were dressed as trees for the third year in a row. District 3 was dressed in glittery silver body suits. Tributes from District 11 were some sort fruits. Then there was District 12. For some reason, their stylist thought it would be a really good idea to have them dress in nothing but coal dust and miner’s hats. While most of the tributes spent their time before the parade glued to their chariots, the District 12 boy was walking around a bit.

“What are you doing?” I asked him when he walked by me.

“I’m looking for people to team up with.” He answered.

“I think that might be hard to decide just by looks.” I told him.

“I know, it’s just to get an idea. I’m Moss, by the way.” He said.

“I’m Ivory.” I responded. He nodded and walked away, back to his chariot just as the doors started opening. As always, the chariot for District 1 went first. When it was our turn, I stood stiffly, staring straight ahead. Griffin smiled and waved at the crowd, being his usual charming self. As usual, our district’s costumes weren’t particularly impress anyone. When we made it to the end of the track, President Snow welcomed us all to the Games. I don’t like him, but I would never tell anyone else that. I’d probably be killed or turned into an Avox. We made a last lap around the circle and went back down the track. All the tributes were forced to a small building that would be a place to stay for our last few days before going to the arena. I stood next to Moss in the elevator. We nodded a hello to each other before Griffin and I got out on the sixth floor. He whistled at the fancy room we’d entered. It was oddly beautiful, though extremely overdone.

“Eat up, then get to bed.” Lovage said. Our mentor was already nibbling on some bread. “You have a big day ahead of you.”