Four Weeks to Live

Life

I woke up in a place filled with shiny things. I was finally warm. I tried to move, but I couldn’t.

“Hello there, sleeping beauty.” Moss said from above me. He was smiling.

“Am I dead?” I asked him. “Are you dead?”

“No, but the career who tried to kill you is.” He replied, kissing me and moving away to tend to a fire. I recognized the place I was in. It was the first cave we had found, the one covered in gems.

“How did we get back here?”

“I carried you.”

“How did you find me?”

“I heard your screaming.”

“How long has it been?”

“Three days.”

“How many of us are left?”

“Us and three very angry careers.” He said, handing me some food. “We still haven’t gotten anything from our sponsors, if you were wondering.”

“I didn’t expect us to.” I replied, eating the food as fast as I could. My clothes didn’t even fit anymore due to a massive amount of time not eating much as well as five days without food of any kind. Moss looked like he’d been eating at least a little bit more than me, which was probably why he was able to carry me so far. I tried to stand up, but he stopped me.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you. I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure you broke your leg.” Moss said. I looked down to discover a large bruise on my left leg as well as a few sharp things pressing against my skin. That was probably why it was hurting so much. I just didn’t think it was that bad.

“I’m pretty sure you’re right.” I sighed, asking for a stick and something to tie it to my leg with. After he was done helping me clean my wounds, Moss sat next to me. We talked just like we had when we first met and just like we had in the cave.

“You know, Ivory, we’re going to die soon.” Moss said. I nodded in agreement.

“I’ve been meaning to tell you something that I’ve known for a while. You probably know what I’m going to say, but... well, here it goes. I love you, Ivory, and I always will. No matter what happens, I’ll stay by you forever.” He said, hugging me softly.

“I-I love you too, Moss. When we’re brought down, we’ll go down together.” I said back, looking into his eyes.

We knew we wouldn’t last much longer. The Games were almost over. We spent that entire day with our bodies intertwined, even when we weren’t sleeping. The two of us were entirely in love with one another, and nothing could change that. Not the Capitol, not the Hunger Games, not the careers, not the entirety of Panem. That night, we truly lived for the last time.