Four Weeks to Live

Interview

“Ivory Wellwood!” Caesar screamed to the crowd, who clapped and hooted when I walked onto the stage. We both sat down on the two chairs as he began asking me questions.

“So, Ivory, how different is the Capitol from your home in District 6?” He started.

“There’s definitely not as many factories...” I said, making the crowd laugh a little.

“Ah, I see. Tell me about your friends. How did they react when they heard your name?”

“Well, I only have one friend. His name is Moss, and he’s from District 12. He probably didn’t react at all, considering the fact that he didn’t know who I was.” I responded. The audience made sympathetic sounds.

“Oh, that’s too bad. I hope you and your friend can enjoy the days that you have left together. Well, I think we’ve got time for one more question. What is the one thing that you’re best at?” He smiled at me.

“Painting, I guess. I can make myself blend into a wall, or some plants, and lots of other things.” I said.

“Wow. I can’t wait to see how you fair in the games! Well, Ivory, may the odds be ever in your favor!” He chirped, finally letting me walk off the stage and back to the waiting area.

“Wow. That was kind of interesting, my friend.” Moss purred, patting my head.

“I just tried to say what I wanted.”

“Well, congratulations! You succeeded in making me like you.”

“Yeah, but you’re already my friend. I definitely didn’t earn many sponsors.”

“Who cares. You and I both know that having sponsors just prolongs your suffering in the arena.” He argued. He was right. The number of sponsors you had never actually decided your outcome in the arena... that was all up to luck.

“Yeah, you’re right. We’re both dead, anyway.” I shrugged, waiting for his turn.

When Moss was called, he was just as normal as me. No fancy words, no false personality. Just what he needed to say and not a word more.

“Do you want to meet me on the roof again tonight?” He asked me after he was done. Since he was the last person to be interviewed, everyone was heading back to their rooms. Some would get changed into more normal clothes, others were going to bask in their own beauty for a little while longer.

“Sure.” I said. It was our last night before there would be cameras in our faces 24/7. We could lie down, stare at the stars again, and not worry about being ambushed. I didn’t even know if we’d be able to see the stars in the arena. Well, at least we’d have each other. At that moment, that was all that mattered.