Four Weeks to Live

Roof

Moss greeted me on the roof that evening, just like we’d planned. He had his normal clothes on, just like I did.

“So, last night on this roof. We’ve had some pretty good nights together, haven’t we?” He asked, pulling me in for a hug.

“Yeah. I’m actually going to miss this place... but it’s going to be hard not to miss any place when we’re in the arena.” I sighed. I didn’t want to go to the arena. Thought I’d come to terms with my own imminent death, I hadn’t yet come to terms with Moss’.

“Oh well... we won’t be there for long, anyway.” He tried to comfort me a little bit. We sat silently on the roof for a few minutes before he spoke again.

“Do you want to dance with me?” He asked. It took a few seconds for me to say yes, mostly because I’d never danced in my life. The music emanating from the multiple parties all over the Capitol was definitely loud enough for us to hear it, but soft enough so that if one of us whispered, the other could hear. One of Moss’ hands snaked around my waist as the other held my hand. I put my other hand on his shoulder as we started turning in slow circles.

“You know, I kind of like you, Ivory.” He said, putting his head on my shoulder. I jumped a bit. What did he mean? I already knew he liked me. After all, he was my best friend. That’s kind of the point of friends.

“Well, I-I like you too... you’re my best friend.” I stammered. I hoped that was the right answer.

“Okay... but I like you more than as a friend.” He replied nervously. We stood there speechless for a while, still leaning on each other, but not dancing anymore. After a little bit more silence than either of us would’ve liked, I finally replied. I hugged him tightly and whispered back.

“The feeling is mutual.”
He smiled at me and sighed.

“Can this be forever?” He asked.

“We both know it won’t be.”

“Can this be for a lifetime?”

“We both know it will be.”

“Can I do that?” He questioned after he kissed me for the first time.

“We both know the answer is yes.”

We went back to our rooms after that. Tomorrow might be the day we died, after all. It could be the day after that, too. Possibly the day after that. I didn’t know. I just knew that something happened on the roof that changed my life. That something was Moss.