Look to the Skies

One.

The sound of the balcony door squeaking open caught my attention and I turned my head. Tom was standing there, dressed to the nines, an excited grin on his face.

“Hey, you coming with us?”

I shrugged, the movement making the hammock I was laying on swing slightly. Even though the night sky was pitch black, L.A. was brighter than ever. Street lights and neon glowed everywhere.

“Not tonight,” I finally answered.

“Are you really going to just lie here all night?” I didn’t even have to look over to know his previously excited face had dropped into a frown. “It’s not healthy for you. Get out and live, my friend.”

I glanced over at him, a wry look on my face.

“Oh, you know I don’t mean literally. You need to have fun, Nathan. You can’t sit and sulk every night.”

“Watch me,” I mumbled. I rolled over and put my back to him. I loved all four of my band members near to death, but they still couldn’t understand. Accept it, yes. But they would never understand what I had gone through the past four months since we had come to America.

Tom heaved a huge sigh before grabbing my arm and yanking my body out of the hammock. I rolled to the ground in a heap, the pain of hitting the cement balcony barely registering. Anger quickly frothed in my veins, and for a few seconds all I saw was red. He took a step back, his hands up in defense.

“Calm down. I’m just trying to help.”

I swallowed back the urge to launch myself at him and relaxed. My vision went back to normal and I breathed in deep a few times.

“Listen, the boys and I are just going to a club down the street. Come with us. Maybe you’ll meet a cute girl who can cheer you up. Or a cute boy.”

“Oh, bugger off, you prick.”

He grinned and patted my head before skipping off.

“I’ll be back in ten minutes,” he called behind him. “Be ready.” The door slammed shut behind him.

I looked back over the balcony at the living, pulsing city and ran a hand through my hair, the newly cut length feeling foreign to my fingers. I wasn’t ready to go out there. Not now, not on a busy night, around people that would smell and look so good. Red almost clouded my vision again but I shook my head to clear it.

I did not want to unleash the unstable monster that I was out onto the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quick little intro. I am SO excited for this, you have no idea.

-Beki.