Look to the Skies

Two.

"Hey, you wanna dance?"

I froze and glanced over my shoulder at the guy standing there, a charming smile across his perfect features. His blond hair was tousled into a carefully sculpted disarray. But his eyes were positively feral and predatory. A shiver ran down my back and I swallowed.

"No, thanks," I said politely and turned back around. A hand curled around my wrist and tugged me backwards. I shook it off. "I said no."

"I don't care what you said," he growled, and pulled me onto the dance floor. I wriggled out of his grip, tripping over my own feet as I tried to back up. I bumped into someone and stumbled.

"Oh, there you are, babe. I've been looking for you." An arm slung over my shoulder, pulling me against a warm, male body. I glanced up to see a guy with brooding eyes, closely shaved hair and a jaw roughened by stubble. He glanced at the blond who had grabbed me, raising an eyebrow questioningly. But more than anything it was his thick, cockney British accent that snagged my attention. "Is there a problem here?"

"No, dude. I didn't realize she was taken," he put his hands up defensively and backed up. I realized then that he wasn't nearly as scary as he first looked and I repressed a hysterical bubble of laugher. He glanced around, found a gap on the dance floor and hurried away. As soon as he disappeared, the arm left from around my shoulders, along witht he heat. I sucked in a breath.

"Hey, thanks," I mumbled.

"Don't mention it. You looked kinda trapped," he smiled gently, the brooding light in his eyes melting away to a kind warmth. "I hate guys like that."

"Me too," I sighed. "Well, I'm gonna get going." I slipped away, stepping around him. "Thanks again."

The music was so loud and pumping it hurt my ears. Or maybe it was just my heart and I couldn't tell the difference. Either way, I felt it go through my whole body. I weaved inbetween the sweaty bodies writhing on the dance floor and popped out next to the bar. I took a few deep breaths in and looked around, the dim lighting making it harder to see.

"Marin! Over here!"

I spun around and pasted a grin onto my face.

"Tate, Jess. Where did you guys go?" I sauntered over to the table my two friends were at and plopped down on a chair.

"We found two cute boys," Tate smirked and flipped her long black hair over her shoulder. "Unfortunately those cute boys had two cute girlfriends that they failed to mention."

Jess frowned, her teeth chewing furiously on her bottom lip.

"Yeah, they weren't too happy when they saw us grinding against their boyfriends," Tate laughed. She propped her leather, spiked heels on the edge of the table and tipped back in her chair. "It's all good though. They got what they deserved."

"Good God, what did you do this time?" I groaned.

Her eyes flicked over to me, before sliding shut. A wicked grin spread across her face and she started rocking back and forth in the chair. The hind legs wiggled dangerously.

"Marin, chill your face. I didn't do anything. Right, Jess?" She righted her chair and grinned over at Jess, but her smile faultered almost instantly. "Jess? Babe, what's wrong?"

"Those boys. Why are they staring at us?" Her blue eyes were staring into a corner of the club and her bottom lip was bright red from how hard she'd been chewing at it. She looked scared.
I turned around in my chair, and it felt like an electric shock went through me.

"Mare, do you know them?" Tate whispered.

I shook my head slowly. "Why?"

"Because I don't think they're staring at us. They're staring at you."

She was right, and I knew it. There were five of them, four men and one woman, all sitting together around a table. The woman was off on one side, curled into the side of one of the guys, both completely oblivious and chatting with each other. Amber colored drinks in their hand and even from where I was sitting I could tell that she was giggling and happy. But the other three were rigid in their seats, their eyes trained on me.

"That middle one. He looks pissed the fuck off. Are you sure you don't know him?" Tate asked.

I forced myself to move my gaze off of them and turn back around.

"I'm sure," I shrugged, trying to brush it off. Whoever he was, his stare was so intense, my back felt like it was on fire.

"Mmkay. I'm gonna go get another drink." She stood up and went in the direction of the bar,
clearly over it.

Jess looked around before finally pulling her phone out of her pocket and checking the time.

"I think I'm gonna go, I gotta work in the morning. Tell Tate where I went so she doesn't freak out," she pushed her chair back and got up. She came over and kissed the top of my head, her flowery scent filling my nostrils and calming me like it always seemed to. "Be careful, Marin."

"Careful about what?"

She chewed on her lip again, clear worry in her eyes. And that's when I realized that the only reason she had looked scared was for me, and what would happen if she left and all I had was Tate to watch over me the rest of the night.

"Go, Jess. You don't need to worry about me all the time. I'm okay."

She bent down and placed her lips at my ear. Her words were hushed and warm against my skin. "Stay away from him. I don't know who he is, but I don't trust the way he's looking at you."

A second later she was gone, her frame being swallowed up by the dancing crowd. I pulled my soda towards me and took a small sip. Drinking hadn't been on the agenda, but the bar was starting to look better and better the longer I sat there.

"Oh, fuck it," I muttered and got up from the table. I wandered over to the bar and tried to squeeze myself inbetween the mass of people standing around. The bartenders were running around, looking extremely frantic. I was about to leave when Tate walked over, a tray of shots in her hands.

"Need a drink?" she grinned, holding the tray out. "Tequila."

I grabbed one and downed it, the alcohol burning my throat in a delicious way. It chased away the feeling of fear still crawling down my spine, and the feel of that man's hand on my arm. Before I thought better of it, I took another and poured it down my throat.

That same guy that had saved me walked by and smiled, before casting a disapproving look at the shot in my hand. He looked away and just kept walking.

"What is it with everybody looking at you today? Did you know him?" Tate asked, then tossed a shot back.

"Never seen him before in my life."

She looked around me and raised an eyebrow. "Hey, he's with those other dudes from before," she cocked her head to the side and clicked her tongue. "You know, they look kinda familiar. Maybe I know them."

"Tate, I don't care. Just drink with me tonight."

She smirked and clinked our glasses together. "You don't have to tell me twice."
♠ ♠ ♠
I had such a hard time writing this chapter. It literally changed directions at least four times. I still don't know if I'm happy with the end result.

I'm sure you can guess who the guy was that saved her. (cough)Max(cough).

Please tell me what you think. I'm already completely in love with this story, but I'm still not quite sure where I want to go with it.

-Beki

PS I work 70+ hour weeks so if updates don't come as regularly as you'd like, I apologize. I'm going to try as hard as I can, swear.